• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need your opinion

SmashSchtick

Smash Rookie
When you play melee isn't sometimes ok to play regularly instead of shuffling every move and always wave dashing :( because on youtube I see ppl keep on saying do you know how to shuffl or L-cancel. Also when I play melee with my friends I just play normally. So don't you think it's ok to sometimes play normally instead getting all competitive with someone and use those techniques like crazy? :urg:

battousai555

Smash Ace
If you're a tournament player, I suggest you test to see whether or not playing w/o advanced techs hinders you the next day. If it does, then only play w/ advanced techs. If it doesn't, go for it.

TheLake

Smash Master
Of course its ok...somtimes that can even throw off some people in a competitive scene (Kinda of...heh) but everyone has their own style so just play "comfortably" ...

Actually scratch that....play how you want and dont let anyone tell you otherwise (Its your choice after all)

SmashSchtick

Smash Rookie
Of course its ok...somtimes that can even throw off some people in a competitive scene (Kinda of...heh) but everyone has their own style so just play "comfortably" ...

Actually scratch that....play how you want and dont let anyone tell you otherwise (Its your choice after all)

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
When you play melee isn't sometimes ok to play regularly instead of shuffling every move and always wave dashing :( because on youtube I see ppl keep on saying do you know how to shuffl or L-cancel. Also when I play melee with my friends I just play normally. So don't you think it's ok to sometimes play normally instead getting all competitive with someone and use those techniques like crazy? :urg:
From your post, it seems like you're not very used to the 'advanced techniques', and have not implemented them into your normal playing style well (don't worry! i don't have anything against that!)

What is allowed in "normal playing"? Smash attacks? Shields? Taunts? Edgehogs? Rolls? Wavelands? Walljumping? Wavedashing? etc...?
The problem with your reasoning is your definition of "normal playing". I had a little cousin come over today and play (true story!), and he just held the control stick one way and self-destructed all his lives, and that's how he normally played (he's very young and doesn't understand the game well). My friends and I play normally with wavedashing and shffling and a bunch of other stuff, and it's just normal for us. Your definition of normal playing can be quite different from many other peoples'.

But to answer your question, it's definitely a yes.

Is it okay to not SHFFL or wavedash? of course!
Is it okay to SHFFL or wavedash? of course!
Is it okay to not attack at all? of course!
Is it okay to give the knee to your opponent in real life? of course! :)

It's definitely okay to play whatever way you want. If there were strict rules to be followed, they would definitely be put into the game itself.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Your choice of play, your choice of gaming. We cannot control it. Only Sakurai and you can control your life. I mean, sometimes I crack open the item menu and put some items in play. Maybe pull in a giant melee. Or even a Super Sudden Death. Once I've picked Hyrule Temple, I was too lazy to go back to switch stages I just played there and made a 14 minute 4 stock match.

I generally say, with advance techniques, you generally win any matches. With advance techniques you can use items and play on stages that are banned from tournaments. With advance techniques you can have fun with all your friends. With advance skills, you can train yourself and be a stronger inside.

Everything else there's Master Card (ROFL, I was joking). I mean you can do just the same thing with advance skills. You can be the world's best player and play against someone on Hyrule Temple with items on very High. It doesn't matter if your casual or not. Just try these advance skills out and see if you like them.

And remember, if they're too hard to do, it doesn't mean quit the game. Hard things don't mean it's boring rather it's just something else you have to cover through and learn from. I mean, it doesn't sound like fun when you're trying your hardest to learn, but get a few friends into advance skills like you (if you feel like it) and see how it turns out and maybe like it.

It's not possible for one to stop using advance skills. It's because advance skills focus on speeding characters up and putting characters at their best. I wouldn't want to pull my power level under 9000. ;D

Whatever you want, good luck and have fun!

MagiMaster

Smash Apprentice
I don't get why people think they "MUST" do everything they see on youtube. And sometimes (often) those people come and say that tournament rules aren't good bla bla. Just play like you want.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Is definitely not ok if you are a tournament player, you should have the apropiate competitive concepts. If you're just a casual player, you can play as you want.

Tanzz

Smash Cadet
It's always completely okay to play just however you want to.

However, I think this thread may have been more geared towards a question along the lines of:
"Is it possible to play without wavedashing and other hard-to-use adv. techs and still be a viable player at higher levels of play?"

To which, the answer is: Not really.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
However, I think this thread may have been more geared towards a question along the lines of:
"Is it possible to play without wavedashing and other hard-to-use adv. techs and still be a viable player at higher levels of play?"

To which, the answer is: Not really.
Unless you're like masashi

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Well L-canceling has NOTHING bad about it assuming you can perform it correctly consistently.

In some matches of Azen in tournament he is known to short hop aerial with an L-cancel with no Fast fall. So he i guess SHL with a marth.

It confuses people LOL

Metalknux

Smash Ace
I say do whatever you want and ignore the nerds on the internet.

Top Bottom