• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Need Some Help With Creating a Local Tournament.

AJ34

Smash Cadet
NNID
AndrewB34
So, here is a bit of backstory on my situation. I played Melee when I was younger, but was too young for any sort of competitive scene. I got Brawl when it came out and I loved it (although it was no Melee). Me and a group of friends always played it, and within the past two years, we have gotten really competitive. This is further compounded by the release of Project M. A few days ago, I met a guy near where I live that I played a bit of PM with that really wishes that there was some sort of competitive scene around here, because he has nobody to play. He was so excited to meet me because he had someone to play against. I felt the same way. He told me about several people he had talked to that felt that we needed some kind of organization, and he thinks many more people around here would be interested. We agreed to try to set something up.

Now here is where I run into a problem: How do I go about gauging the interest for Smash in the area? I know for a fact I could get at least like 10 people, but I feel that there are plenty of people around who would be interested. We don't want to do anything too official, but we don't think hosting something in someone's garage is a good idea. I'm going to stop here and see if I can get any suggestions about what to do from this point. What should I do to see if there is any interest for this? I don't think there have ever been any sort of events anywhere near here, so I am not sure if many people would care.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :bee:

StormCrow

Smash Rookie
So, here is a bit of backstory on my situation. I played Melee when I was younger, but was too young for any sort of competitive scene. I got Brawl when it came out and I loved it (although it was no Melee). Me and a group of friends always played it, and within the past two years, we have gotten really competitive. This is further compounded by the release of Project M. A few days ago, I met a guy near where I live that I played a bit of PM with that really wishes that there was some sort of competitive scene around here, because he has nobody to play. He was so excited to meet me because he had someone to play against. I felt the same way. He told me about several people he had talked to that felt that we needed some kind of organization, and he thinks many more people around here would be interested. We agreed to try to set something up.

Now here is where I run into a problem: How do I go about gauging the interest for Smash in the area? I know for a fact I could get at least like 10 people, but I feel that there are plenty of people around who would be interested. We don't want to do anything too official, but we don't think hosting something in someone's garage is a good idea. I'm going to stop here and see if I can get any suggestions about what to do from this point. What should I do to see if there is any interest for this? I don't think there have ever been any sort of events anywhere near here, so I am not sure if many people would care.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :bee:
Well here's the thing there is actually a scene in Illinois for P:M I know that it's in Chicago ( not sure what part of Illinois you reside in) but it has some really good players that are a part of the board like Lazarond who is a Link main in P:M.

If your not interested in that you could try to convince an owner of either a card shop/video store/video game store to host the event saying it'll bring in more business now they will tack a fee but if you can't host it at a house it's the next best thing.

That's the only ideas I can offer hope I helped.

Edit: the place in Chicago is called EXP gaming lounge they even have a profile for this board.

Last edited:

AJ34

Smash Cadet
NNID
AndrewB34
Well here's the thing there is actually a scene in Illinois for P:M I know that it's in Chicago ( not sure what part of Illinois you reside in) but it has some really good players that are a part of the board like Lazarond who is a Link main in P:M.

If your not interested in that you could try to convince an owner of either a card shop/video store/video game store to host the event saying it'll bring in more business now they will tack a fee but if you can't host it at a house it's the next best thing.

That's the only ideas I can offer hope I helped.

Edit: the place in Chicago is called EXP gaming lounge they even have a profile for this board.
I'm aware of that, I was just trying to set up something a bit more local. I live in a small town that is pretty far from Chicago, and I was hoping to setup some kind of smaller event around here (basically through people that go to the high school, which includes my town and another next to it). My question was what would you recommend I do to find people who would be willing to play? It would probably just be a more laid back tournament, since they aren't often held in this area.

StormCrow

Smash Rookie
I'm aware of that, I was just trying to set up something a bit more local. I live in a small town that is pretty far from Chicago, and I was hoping to setup some kind of smaller event around here (basically through people that go to the high school, which includes my town and another next to it). My question was what would you recommend I do to find people who would be willing to play? It would probably just be a more laid back tournament, since they aren't often held in this area.
Oh I thought your concerns were about the competitive scene in Illinois as well as trying to host local tournaments but without hosting in someone's basement.

Hmm, that's a bit harder of a question I would reccomend looking at places that hold other activities ( if you have some place that does role playing stuff or even a card store you can often find interest in smash) but honestly it's a bit hit or miss, you can also just create a thread about smash interest in your respective county ( there is a subforum for each region ours would be the Midwest of course )in Illinois and start up a Facebook group so you all have a way to connect.

I apologize for misunderstanding originally and I hope this post helps you.

AJ34

Smash Cadet
NNID
AndrewB34
Oh I thought your concerns were about the competitive scene in Illinois as well as trying to host local tournaments but without hosting in someone's basement.

Hmm, that's a bit harder of a question I would reccomend looking at places that hold other activities ( if you have some place that does role playing stuff or even a card store you can often find interest in smash) but honestly it's a bit hit or miss, you can also just create a thread about smash interest in your respective county ( there is a subforum for each region ours would be the Midwest of course )in Illinois and start up a Facebook group so you all have a way to connect.

I apologize for misunderstanding originally and I hope this post helps you.
Hmm good ideas. I will get on this and see what comes of it.
Edit: Sorry, but I am a bit new here...where would one go to create such a thread?

Last edited:
Top Bottom