• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need some help improving my neutral game

Blayed

Smash Rookie
Hey all,

I've been working pretty hard on my Falco for the last couple months, but I've been feeling like I'm not seeing much improvement these last couple of weeks. I've been trying to change my style, moving away from the raw aggro **** that I'm not consistent enough to execute yet and focusing more on playing a reaction-based game and zoning with lasers. Most recently I've added a ****load more dash dancing to my game, started to recognize opportunities for shine oos, and I've been trying to use bair/utilt more defensively. I've also been trying to fix my DI (aggro brain just wants to hold in really bad) but breaking bad habits is a slow process apparently haha.

The most recent recording I have of myself is a netplay bo5 against a guy who has beaten me pretty consistently since I started netplay. I've been taking more and more sets against him since I started changing up my play so I thought our most recent match would be a good one to share.

VIDEO HERE: https://youtu.be/ZL3xSNGFvsM

Anyways, I've never had anyone critique my play before and I'd really appreciate some outside input on what I should be working on. The thing I keep hearing is that I need to improve my neutral but I'm having a hard time identifying my shortcomings (besides really obvious **** I shouldn't have gotten hit by or silly technical flubs).

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
Obviously, the easiest thing for me to point out is your punish, game, but outside of that I can't offer too much.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I honestly just have two things to say:
  1. Growth isn't linear. Don't expect it to be.
  2. Getting any amount of critique on netplay generally isn't good because netplay generally isn't good. We see the occasional netplay warrior, but that's it.

Hedgehog_

Smash Cadet
Game 1

0:12 I dont recommend wavedashing in neutral. His wavedash isnt that long or fast its usually better to dash dance or laser. 1:25 Never challenge a character with invincibility full hop away or firebird ledge stall. 1:52 The shield pressure is cool but it is better to just shine grab. 1:58 Its a bad idea to land while doing an aerial like that. 2:15 work on not SDing. 2:52 React better to laser hit confirms. You got a nice laser but didnt follow up with a shine/grab/aerial and instead got hit off stage. 3:00 This was a really good grab. Laser game was bit below average, your lasers were a little too low, falcon could have short hopped over some of them. Against Falcon shoot the highest short hop lasers you can while fast falling after the laser is shot.

game 2

3:39 again wavedashing in neutral is not good. shoot a laser. 4:01 dj dair is so risky is not worth it to try 5:25 good job waiting.6:02 use the invincible ledgedash

tissuebox

Smash Rookie
NNID
gbale94
3DS FC
1864-9984-4069
Seems that your laser game is a bit off. If you haven't seen this video, I would recommend taking a look at it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkUfAtXnNAU

SSBM Tutorials
made a 3 part series on falco, but I find the laser one the most. Their other vids are about offense and defense, and honestly I like to teach things myself so I can remember better.

As for some nitpick mistakes:
21 - dair after that to get a better follow up
As hedgehog_ said, please don't WD in neutral.
Random f-tilts??
Tech those.
Don't be afraid to follow-up

Good Things:
Great second match.
Nice dair spikes.
Overall solid gameplay.
Really nice performance from you overall.
Excellent approaching, for the most part.

Top Bottom