• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need help with Mario MU

RawAubstain

Smash Rookie
Hi guys! i need help with Mario MU, I have a friend who mains him and only does the D-throw up-tilt, and approaching with Nair. i cant seem to punish to well. What should i do?

Bugsy

Smash Rookie
Diddy's short hop fair beats out any of mario's aerial approaches so use that heavily in the match up. Learning to fast fall it correctly and auto cancel it allows you to use it as a bait to get opponents to get hit by a down tilt or whiff a move. Short hop fair will also hit a standing Mario.

As for the down thrown up tilt combo, at zero percent you can di down after the throw and shield. If the opponent reads this, they can re grab but most decent mario's will up throw to down air to back air or fair at zero. Luckily, you can air dodge at a specific time to get out of the Down air during this combo. This can also be read or reacted to however.

Banana is great against Mario even if they are cape happy. If they tend to cape too much, command grab will punish well. Learning to glide toss will also help to bait out a cape, throw you banana up or down, and then you can punish cape with a grab or down tilt. Practice using the banana as bait. Pluck one, but dont go for the banana, instead go for your opponent. Mix this up heavily so the opponent is always guessing if you will approach or grab the banana.

Whenever you know your friend will approach with nair, remember that your fair will beat it out. Also makes sure to tech the nair if he lands it because a missed tech will lead to a jab reset.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Don't approach with Side B unless you want Mario's U Smash to ruin your day. F Air is real good in this matchup. Be aware of the Fire Balls cause they are real good at stopping our momentum. Don't try to camp him out, instead be as aggressive as can be (the opposite of what you'd do vs Luigi basically). Get him in the air, as am convinced Mario is one of the few characters who can beat us on-stage.

Top Bottom