• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Need Help With Getting Back On Stage

EarthShaker

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3969-6503-4598
I have been playing Olimar on and off (Mostly because I also LOVE Duckhunt), but I have had one big nitpick everytime I pick him. You see I will be playing him just fine, destroying people, camping them out, using my pikmin to their effectiveness even planning accordingly for specific types at specific times, but then something happens... the opponent gets me off stage. Now, if I have a purple and HIT said purple I am good to go, I get back on stage and usually with all of my pikmin too, but lets say I just barely miss that hit and even then my pikmin ends up in my hands again. now they can just constantly punish me everytime I go for the ledge, or for the stage or anything because of the low priority on my aerials against some of the more wonky hitboxes in the game (Specificly Game and Watch).

At first I thought this was just me messing up very simple tech options, but whenever I play Duckhunt (A character well known for his poor recovery thanks to... the gimps) I can get back on just fine without being afraid of being chased away from every possibly way back.

Even when I personally do get back, I have trouble even getting my pikmin game started again before I get punched directly in the chops. It has lead to my games being gambles based on if I can literally control EVERYTHING or not.

Is this just something Olimar has to deal with, or is there tips and strategies I can use to overcome this issue? Especially against Game and Watch every time I fight him I just cannot come back from even the smallest of offstagesness (if that is even a word).

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Having a weak offstage game is one of Olimar's notable disadvantages. You want to try to mix up how you recover; go very low, drop below the stage and go to the other ledge, go high enough and drop down to the ledge covering yourself with Nair.

Once you grab the ledge, you have to know what the opponent can do and predict what he will do. This just comes from experience because Olimar doesn't have many tools to cover himself at the ledge aside from purples and whistle.

There are a few responses in the matchup thread talking about Game and Watch if you need help on that.

Top Bottom