• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need advice on how to take down Olimar

samper

Smash Cadet
Okay, so I just had a hour long slug fest with Olimar. Each round was five minutes long...I lost all but two, and those two wins were in sudden death.

I really just cannot figure out how to get around the little freak. He's got range, completely unbalanced amounts of power and knockback, he seems to be around Mario's weight class (which if I remember correctly is right around Sonic's), his throw not only has range but it also lacks the miss lag of every other character that has a ranged throw, he can pull a full assortment of his little plants in less than a second, his down b gives him super armor (or maybe that was me getting delirious), most of his attacks have little to no lag, his down air is an instant Ike like spike, and I could go on and on, but it's getting kinda rant-ish now and I'm sure you all know what he can do by now.

Now I know Sonic can't out power his opponents, and when I actually get Olimar off the stage I fair pretty well since his recover kinda sucks (his only real weakness near as I can tell), but my problem is that I can hardly ever get him out there. I've watched most of his attacks and they don't to cover angles very well (except for his forward air anyway), so I try to play to that, but I get slapped around most of the time anyway. I occasionally stomp out his pikmin with forward tilt when he Fsmashes, and down air when he uses his up air and get a free hit (or if I'm REALLY lucky, I power shield his Fsmash and then return fire with that nifty little double stutter step trick if I'm at his Fsmash's full range), but it's pretty infrequent, and if I miss call on the down air I get out prioritized by his neutral air. Since he's so small, it's hard for me to approach him while he's on the ground from the air too, though back air seems to be fairly effective at getting past his offense some times.

I know I'm still new to this game/character, so I'm still working on getting power shielding, DI-ing, and all the rest down, but at this point I'm not sure that's going to be enough to beat him. So is there some sort of huge, glaring weakness to Olimar's game that I'm missing (other than that he can't pull pikmin out in the air, not that you can specifically target the things anyway since you can only really hit them if he throws them or they get separated in addition to the fact that if he's got any breathing room at all he can pull at least two or three pikmin in spite of my best efforts to keep him pressured if I start to whittle his pickmin count down)?

P.S. Sorry if I sound rant-ish and really negative, I am trying to make this match up work instead of just counter picking, and if anyone needs me to reword something or clean all this up please let me know.

Top Bottom