• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I might have found the easiest possible way to hydropivot

jdmcwombat

Smash Cadet
NNID
SmashWombat
3DS FC
0087-2587-4693
I can only do this going from left to right so far, but I'll share it anyway since it took 2 minutes to master.
You can claw grip or set R to attack to do it.
  1. Hold A
  2. Shell Shift
  3. Flick the C-Stick 30 degrees or so back and up (like a SS f smash but up instead of down). If you do this right, you'll walk out of SS but keep the SS's momentum.
  4. LET GO OF A IMMEDIATELY
  5. The world is your oyster now

I did this on Training Room and was doing Hydropivot F Smashes that were about 20-22 blocks long.
I don't know why, but going from right to left with it is much less accurate. Other people should try it both ways and tell me if I just suck at shell techs from right to left. I did this all through Dolphin. Here's the tutorial I made just now for it. Please try it out and see how easy it is to pick up!

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
A few things I would like to let people know, hydropivot is what is called an "Empty Hydroplane" where the slide can be used with any move, there are two empty hydroplanes, hydropivot where you come out of the slide facing backwards, and hydrocrawl where you come out facing forwards. Hydrocrawl is undoubtedly harder to do and is a much more recent discovery, but will arguably be more useful.

There was already an existing input method for hydropivot which can be accomplished with the default control scheme and standard grip. However it does not use the C-stick so you will have to time your inputs more precisely (because you won't have C-stick buffering), but after a little bit of practice myself, and several others, can do it consistently.

Run forward, then shellshift by inputting the opposite direction, Nearer the end of the shellshift animation (but when you are still in your shell) flick the control stick back the opposite direction that you are shellshifting, this will manually input a pivot (be sure to make it as quick a flick as possible to avoid holding direction opposite the desired slide, as it will stop the slide) at which point you can input any move as you slide across the screen. A benefit of this input method is more control over the length you want to shellshift, at the cost of a higher precision required for input.

As to wombat, this is cool! Personally I still prefer the simpler (but perhaps harder to do) control stick flick to do hydropivot, since I don't want to claw or map attack to shoulder buttons. But this is noted for our input records, thanks Wombat! Also, TACUS (Turn-around Canceled Up-smash) is a deprecated term, please refrain from using it in the future to avoid confusion, instead say Hydroplaned Up-smash

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I can do this easier from right to left, so I dunno. I'm getting pretty consistent with both. Gonna start using this in tournament soon hopefully!

Payton

Smash Cadet
I can only do this going from left to right so far, but I'll share it anyway since it took 2 minutes to master.
You can claw grip or set R to attack to do it.
  1. Hold A
  2. Shell Shift
  3. Flick the C-Stick 30 degrees or so back and up (like a SS f smash but up instead of down). If you do this right, you'll walk out of SS but keep the SS's momentum.
  4. LET GO OF A IMMEDIATELY
  5. The world is your oyster now

I did this on Training Room and was doing Hydropivot F Smashes that were about 20-22 blocks long.
I don't know why, but going from right to left with it is much less accurate. Other people should try it both ways and tell me if I just suck at shell techs from right to left. I did this all through Dolphin. Here's the tutorial I made just now for it. Please try it out and see how easy it is to pick up!
Do you use claw grip on the GC controller.

Top Bottom