• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I know that it's pretty unlikely, but has anyone noticed any changes to Dedede? (v.1.1.0)

A Rogue Cop

Smash Cadet
I'm sure that any potential observations of mine would be ruined by the almighty placebo, so I'm asking if anyone else has noticed anything.

CO18

Smash Hero
I believe so. On reddit. On the update list, it says Dedede's downthrow can combo at higher percents but needed confirmation. I checked and it seems so. It seems like the knockback is like scaled less as it gets higher in percent. I was able to get down throw--> fair to register as a combo at 60% on sheik with some rage too. Got down throw--> up air to register as combo too. So its possible depending on their DI either you can get a fair or uair guaranteed after dthrow at mid percents on her. It definitely appears to me that they're right, someone else can test too and let me know what you think.
Seems to be the only change though but def a useful buff.

edit: link to reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3f8hvn/the_v110_patch_changelist/

Last edited:

A Rogue Cop

Smash Cadet
I believe so. On reddit. On the update list, it says Dedede's downthrow can combo at higher percents but needed confirmation. I checked and it seems so. It seems like the knockback is like scaled less as it gets higher in percent. I was able to get down throw--> fair to register as a combo at 60% on sheik with some rage too. Got down throw--> up air to register as combo too. So its possible depending on their DI either you can get a fair or uair guaranteed after dthrow at mid percents on her. It definitely appears to me that they're right, someone else can test too and let me know what you think.
Seems to be the only change though but def a useful buff.

edit: link to reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3f8hvn/the_v110_patch_changelist/
I'm glad to see that, I can imagine it being very useful. It's nice to see that Sakurai has finally decided to throw us a bone, however small.

A Rogue Cop

Smash Cadet
Nah, Dedede always had down throw > fair/uair. And it works from 14(?) to 80%.
I know he's had that, the question is whether it works for longer than it used to. At least from what I can tell in training mode that seems to be the case, but I don't have a non-updated copy to compare it to.

CO18

Smash Hero
Nah, Dedede always had down throw > fair/uair. And it works from 14(?) to 80%.
It def didn't combo up to those percents vs sheik before. I could be wrong but im like 99% sure, after like low 40"s it didn't combo. Against like zard and bowser maybe yeah but just played a bunch of matches vs sheik a few days ago , I do believe what theyre saying is correct, hopefully others can add input.

Edit: Maybe someone who hasn't downloaded update yet can check
I also got it to combo vs zss at like 65%, Im on 3ds so thats also with d3 at 65

Last edited:

Cook

Smash Master
Does jab 2 still cancel as early? Just wondering because I heard they changed Fox's.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Dthrow to Upair feels the same to me. Maybe with more play I'll notice something. I don't have a pre-patch version to compare with this is just based on feel.

CO18

Smash Hero
Actually my niece is here and she has a 3ds rofl. Give me like 20 min gonna check to see if I can confirm pre/post patch

http://opensa.dantarion.com/s4/raw/diff-128-144/dedede.html

danatarion made this and from the looks of it 2 moves got some changes in code

edit 1: in other news i killed a cpu sheik at 105 with down throw up air while at 74%(WiiU version)
edit 2: I also had a gordo hit and pass through a CPU i played while testing stuff (currently uploading replay to youtube will link when finished)

Last edited:

Jdawg26

Smash Apprentice
Dthrow actually wasn't changed, you could always get dthrow->uair around kill percents provided they didn't DI in any direction at all. Once they hold literally any direction, you can't get a thing past 100% on most characters...

According to the datamine the only change was making DDD's final smash more consistent. Granted, the datamine doesn't account for generated articles yet so gordos could have received some sort of change. However when I tested it they were still knocked back by a minimum of 2%, and their damage values remained consistent to their pre-patch numbers (14max/9.5min).

As far as I can tell, nothing has changed.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that training mode doesn't account for rage and stale moves. Dthrow->uair at kill percents was always a thing, but almost never viable in actual settings.

Last edited:

A Rogue Cop

Smash Cadet
Dthrow actually wasn't changed, you could always get dthrow->uair around kill percents provided they didn't DI in any direction at all. Once they hold literally any direction, you can't get a thing past 100% on most characters...

According to the datamine the only change was making DDD's final smash more consistent. Granted, the datamine doesn't account for generated articles yet so gordos could have received some sort of change. However when I tested it they were still knocked back by a minimum of 2%, and their damage values remained consistent to their pre-patch numbers (14max/9.5min).

As far as I can tell, nothing has changed.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that training mode doesn't account for rage and stale moves. Dthrow->uair at kill percents was always a thing, but almost never viable in actual settings.
Well, that's a let down. Guess we'll see what changes he's made in Smash 5, as he's evidently not making any more to Dedede in Sm4sh.

CO18

Smash Hero
OK so I was just testing on my Niece's 3ds compared to mine. What was possibly done is that they reverted his down throw knockback/scaling exactly what it was before patch 1.04.
http://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_updates_(SSB4-3DS)/1.0.4_changelog
Since I was using niece's 3ds I was playing on the very first version of the game since it won't allow me to download an older update. But the down throw knockback/scaling seems identical in the very first version compared to what it is now.
And in version 1.04 they changed his dthrow angle/ scaled his knockback making it more difficult for ddd to combo at higher percents.
This was 1.04 notes
  • Forward aerial damage: 13% → 12%
  • Down throw angle: 70 → 80
  • Down throw knockback scaling: 60 → 82
  • Minimum Gordo reflection damage: 3% → 2%
  • All Gordo hitboxes are smaller in radius by 0.4 units.
  • Characters can airdodge out of and escape Dedede Burst.
Still would be nice if someone who hadn't updated yet can check. but its a possibility because I def dont recall the knockback/angle at high percents being what it is now in previous update.

edit: is that dantarion thing supposed to be all his changes? Guess if there's nothing in there then that would mean no changes but does anyone know how to read that thing lol

Last edited:

Jdawg26

Smash Apprentice
OK so I was just testing on my Niece's 3ds compared to mine. What was possibly done is that they reverted his down throw knockback/scaling exactly what it was before patch 1.04.
http://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_updates_(SSB4-3DS)/1.0.4_changelog
Since I was using niece's 3ds I was playing on the very first version of the game since it won't allow me to download an older update. But the down throw knockback/scaling seems identical in the very first version compared to what it is now.
And in version 1.04 they changed his dthrow angle/ scaled his knockback making it more difficult for ddd to combo at higher percents.
This was 1.04 notes
  • Forward aerial damage: 13% → 12%
  • Down throw angle: 70 → 80
  • Down throw knockback scaling: 60 → 82
  • Minimum Gordo reflection damage: 3% → 2%
  • All Gordo hitboxes are smaller in radius by 0.4 units.
  • Characters can airdodge out of and escape Dedede Burst.
Still would be nice if someone who hadn't updated yet can check. but its a possibility because I def dont recall the knockback/angle at high percents being what it is now in previous update.

edit: is that dantarion thing supposed to be all his changes? Guess if there's nothing in there then that would mean no changes but does anyone know how to read that thing lol
Yeah, that's all of his confirmed changes. Read my previous post for more details/possibilities.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Warning Received
Honestly how can you justify not buffing this character.

Had Mash Potato Samurai died instead of Iwata D3 would have been buffed. Confirmed.

Also, anyone doing checks between 3DS and Wii U you have to keep in mind that blast zones are different in 3DS compared to Wii U, so it's difficult to make a call on kill %s for moves and such because of that.

Last edited:

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Dantarion change logs don't mention end lag or landing lag changes. So there still might be something! ... but I doubt it.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Honestly how can you justify not buffing this character.
*sigh*

My guess is because they also keep the casual audience in mind with these balance changes, and King Dedede is honestly overpowered at low skill levels. And he's better at 2v2 and FFAs than 1v1 which they probably keep in mind as well when balancing.

And I think Sakurai and the design team continually overweigh how important damage and knockback is, underestimate how important having a small hurtbox is, and having good approach options is. Heavies have always been on the lower end of the tiers.

Last edited:

Jdawg26

Smash Apprentice
Also, anyone doing checks between 3DS and Wii U you have to keep in mind that blast zones are different in 3DS compared to Wii U, so it's difficult to make a call on kill %s for moves and such because of that.
The DLC stages are actually the same across platforms. Imo Dreamland 64 is the best for testing across 3DS/Wii U.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
So...they fixed a part of his FS that needed fixing and might have been an overlooked escape...and that's it.

Yep, I'm pretty sure they're happy with D3 the way he is.
And I love him this way...it's just...with everyone else getting all these nice buffs, I can't help but wonder if he'll fall behind.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
So...they fixed a part of his FS that needed fixing and might have been an overlooked escape...and that's it.

Yep, I'm pretty sure they're happy with D3 the way he is.
And I love him this way...it's just...with everyone else getting all these nice buffs, I can't help but wonder if he'll fall behind.
He's been behind for several months.
But I guess it hasn't hit the people who really matter.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
This is what I've been saying forever. They don't care about Dedede anymore. This solidifies it. I'm not suprised whatsoever. Am I disappointed? I don't know, actually. ****, at least he didn't get nerfed. I'm happy for that.

I play King Dedede. I've gotten so used to my back being to the wall, I'd probably be confused if it wasn't. Just hammer through it like we always have. Play Luigi if you don't want to.

lol I'm not sure what the point of this post is, honestly.

Tourney mode sucks though.

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
Honestly in my opinion, they will never buff King Dedede because of how he is casually, they likely use stuff like For Glory/For Fun data for references on balancing characters. If they actually took actual competitive players feedback as a basis for balancing, he would have never received any Gordo nerfs in 1.04 and probably would have been buffed by by now. Stuff like them nerfing Little mac's recovery in 1.04 and buffing Luigi now support this.

Who knows maybe I'll be wrong and they will end up buffing him next patch, but since 1.04 they have not even touched him, so it's not looking that way. At least he's staying the same and not be nerfed.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi

Don't say stupid **** like this.
It displeases the king.

I obviously didn't mean it. Don't get butt hurt over something so stupid.

The DLC stages are actually the same across platforms. Imo Dreamland 64 is the best for testing across 3DS/Wii U.
Oh wow I wasn't aware of that. I was told that 3DS is bad to test with, but that's some useful info thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom