• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I keep losing...

FIREB4LLZ

Smash Rookie
I was doing alright on for glory for a while with around a 60% win rate, though now I can't seem to win anymore. I literally didn't win once my last play session. My win rate dropped to 50 and will likely get lower very quickly, I don't know what to do. I'm not even sure if I want to keep playing, I feel like all the effort I put into practicing has gone to waste.

Kozmiic27

Smash Apprentice
Adapt to ur opponents playstyle. Find his weakness pressure it. Be the rock to his scissors or the paper to his rock.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
The best thing you can do for yourself is take a break and either just play on your own for a bit, with some friends, or stay away from the game for a day or two and come back later.

You'll appreciate yourself for it when you go back with a clear head.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
But in all seriousness, the way you describe your mental condition towards your loss is quite reminiscent to my old days of when I played Runescape. I went into the "wildy" and got PKed and lost items that weren't worth anything at all, but were of high value in my eyes since I was a noob. I went through the whole "I can't go on and I suck" situation. <.< I even thought about giving up, but in reality, you won't give up playing. I kept striving and became a pretty good player .I know a lot of people go through this crap on many different games. It's natural for some gamers. All I can say is, keep practicing, most FG players in my opinion are brain-dead, so you'll see the same patterns being repeated, or rather, you should. By any chance, who do you main? Maybe you aren't as adaptable with whatever character(s) you are using? Maybe the lag (if there is any on your end) is getting the better of you? Do you get nervous when you play online? Many factors can play a role towards one's losses. If possible, you should overcome those obstacles and further your skill, thus increasing your win ratio. But remember, your win ratio doesn't mean a thing, unless you want to like, flaunt it off at people. The game isn't here to hurt you, it's here for everyone to have one. Yes, times can be stressful, but look past that and play only for fun (Not the mode lol, unless that's what floats your boat). Maybe you should cope with random For Fun matches? <.< I had a blast playing doubles in For Fun the other day. xD... I generally play by tournament standards with my brother, but a change in pace really helped me enjoy myself. <.< My post sounds so silly...

TL;DR Keep trying.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
The skill of opponents in FG varies extremely widely. Statistically, having strings of 10ish people of abnormally low or very high skill is downright likely. It seems unlikely you've gotten any worse, so you probably either played a string of bad people earlier or a string of good people now. Or both. If you really want to stabilize your win ratio, just play more. Until you've played hundreds of matches, it won't be that usual for your ratio to rise and fall 10+% in a single long play session. But the law of large numbers says that as sample size increases the average will approach the true value.

If you're just frustrated that you're losing (which is pretty natural), there are a couple things you can do. One, you can knuckle down and really try to improve, watching videos online and studying strategies and such. Or you can try to change your perspective and find some way of playing without putting as much emphasis on wins or losses. Also, you can change the time of day you play. I've found that the skill of my opponents varies a lot by play time.

Last edited:

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
If you play as characters with counters, use the counters. It's easy to read your opponents at times. If you play against a counterer, fake them out. When they counter and simply stand there, punish them.

StrikemasterIce92

Smash Rookie
Also, if you're playing against somebody repeatedly, and they keep beating you with the same character, change characters.. if you're getting annihilated by a Sonic, and you're playing Ganondorf, it might be just because you picked a terrible character for fighting a very fast character. Mix it up a bit! :)

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Adapt to ur opponents playstyle. Find his weakness pressure it. Be the rock to his scissors or the paper to his rock.
Their* People should stop assuming everyone who plays Smash is male.

Anyways, I keep losing too, so I can't really help. :c

Last edited:

Kozmiic27

Smash Apprentice
Their* People should stop assuming everyone who plays Smash is male.

Anyways, I keep losing too, so I can't really help. :c
Dont post unless your making a contribution to the thread, not to correct someone and whinge about what u think

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Win Ratio shouldn't even be a thing, it seems to really bother some players, like OP for one. I, for one, however, do not care for my Win Rate. I actually did care at first, I had over an 85% win rate, but now it's around above 70% because I don't give a damn about it anymore. I still try, of course, but I like to mix it up with different characters that I'm not particularly used to.

For instance, I just picked up ZSS. She's not the type of playstyle I'm used to. I tend to rely on grabs for combo starters or setups, but her grab is a lot riskier to use, and I have rely on her zoning capabilities and wait for them to make a mistake while poking at them from mid-close range. But my point is, I started losing every single match against players I would've otherwise won against. Keep in mind I am a veteran player. It was kind of frustrating, but I'm also here to play for fun, I just brushed off the frustration and continued player, she was really fun to play, and I love spamming B reversal like a mad man. :smirk:

TL;DR

Forget about your win rate, forget about losing, play to learn, don't agonize over your mistakes. (Look at my signature, NOT LIKE IT'S MY QUOTE THO) It may take a while to master this mentality, but honestly, you're only hurting yourself by agonizing over it.

I honestly kinda have the mentality as if everyone on FG is some scum bag who only cares about winning, and rubs it in your face when they win either by taunting, or leaving the match AFTER THEY WON ONE GAME OUT OF LIKE TEN!

Last edited:

Blackyoshika?

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-2653-2476
Yo I played competitive golf for a long time, some days you are just gonna be on fire, tearing it up like tiger woods, other days you will crash and burn and want to set your wiiu on fire. The goal is really stay calm and keep the same mental state the whole time good or bad. I can not stress enough do your best and forget the rest! You will get better the more you play, that's how humans work, so keep playing and doing your best! As long as you are becoming a better player you don't need to care if you win... Being sad and angry won't allow you to get better though. Remember this 2, play well rested and in a non distracting environment you need full concentration, you are going against some competitive people on FG. THIS ONLINE MIGHT REVOLUTIONIZE SMASH, not everyone wants to be a tournament player but tournament players will play FG

Raijinken

Smash Master
It most likely means you've started moving up in the matchmaking system, and thus it's pitting you against better opponents. That's a good thing, it means you're better than the people you used to be facing, and are now worthy of stronger foes.

You'll learn with time. But if it gets stressful, just take a break. It's better to play fresh and with an open mind than to just keep throwing yourself at a wall and get frustrated.

Just try to pay attention to what they're doing that works better than your own strategy. Save and watch replays if you need to. Treat defeat as a learning experience, not as a reason to quit.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Yo I played competitive golf for a long time, some days you are just gonna be on fire, tearing it up like tiger woods, other days you will crash and burn and want to set your wiiu on fire. The goal is really stay calm and keep the same mental state the whole time good or bad. I can not stress enough do your best and forget the rest! You will get better the more you play, that's how humans work, so keep playing and doing your best! As long as you are becoming a better player you don't need to care if you win... Being sad and angry won't allow you to get better though. Remember this 2, play well rested and in a non distracting environment you need full concentration, you are going against some competitive people on FG. THIS ONLINE MIGHT REVOLUTIONIZE SMASH, not everyone wants to be a tournament player but tournament players will play FG
This is actually true, too. It happens to me in Smash and League. I'll be destroying everyone and then next day I'll just be derp and not making the correct decisions.

Your mood can affect your play a lot as well.

Ephemiel

Smash Cadet
If you're actually practicing, then keep practicing instead of coming here to vent. Look at who you're losing against and learn what you're doing wrong. There's gonna be losing streaks for every single person.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
If I lose a match three times in a row, I would just stop playing and have some Mountain Dew and a bag of Doritos and then do some more practice drills to learn what you did wrong before going back into the spotlight. Really, that's exactly what I do.

Blackyoshika?

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-2653-2476
I will confirm continuing to fight through a bad day ingrains that particular days habits even more so which is t what you want, you don't know exactly how good the players are online either, this makes it confusing because it's a fighting game. Stay confident and have fun... I don't reccomend a Mountain Dew and Doritos as this is just unhealthy... If your tired get a goods night night rest and a cup of black coffee after, you will smash hard young tiger, don't ostracize this young man for reaching out with his difficulties, we as a communities should be helping him get through whatever smash related difficulties he is having.

Top Bottom