• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I just realized a possible theory on the Yellow Devil's appearance

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
See, I've been trying to say he's a boss for something similar to melee's adventure mode but I couldn't be bothered nor did I have the credibility to back it up.

John's my hero. Haha.

Groose

Smash Champion
Personally, I would be game for such an adventure mode, provided it ended up being a bit longer than Melee's. Melees was cool, but it could have used some more meat on its bones.

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
...Wait. We've had the trailer for over a month now, and only now people are speculating that he could be a boss? Really? Are you seriously telling me that nobody has proposed this before?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
This just goes to show how much Sakurai puts into these games, and what a mind game expert he is!
See, I've been trying to say he's a boss for something similar to melee's adventure mode but I couldn't be bothered nor did I have the credibility to back it up.

John's my hero. Haha.
Haha, no problem bro. However, while I have heard you say it before, I haven't heard anyone quite "connect the dots" like I think I kind of have done. I'm sure someone has, but I haven't seen it, or at least in a way I understand that connects the dots to these few various theories that I have concluded are very possible despite most people not being aware of them (myself until I posted this two days ago included).

...Wait. We've had the trailer for over a month now, and only now people are speculating that he could be a boss? Really? Are you seriously telling me that nobody has proposed this before?
No, people said he could be a boss from second one. I am just connecting the dots of how this could work in adventure mode. Like, you know how in Melee's Adventure Mode in the first level you run through, explore around, fight a bunch of Yoshi, and either fight Mario and Peach or Luigi and Peach=???

Instead of facing them when you finish the "Adventure Mode level" (which the Mega Man equivalent is obviously Mega Man himself) and reach the "real level" you face the Yellow Devil instead... possibly as just a boss before another boss (the ultimate possible Mega Man-related boss being Dr. Wily). That's not even counting the possibility that each character could have their own Adventure Mode path, and that Mega Man's could end with a super epic Dr. Wily castle run, which this thinking lead me to believe is more possible than I could have ever realized.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Right now the closest thing to what Yellow Devil is, is probably an Assist Trophy. There was a picture about a week or two back where a Kirby was resting pretty much on top of Yellow Devil. If he was a boss, Kirby would most likely be taking damage for touch him (as is any boss in the smash series). Of course this is the only other picture we've seen of Yellow Devil besides the trailer.

grizby2

Smash Lord
im pretty sure hes a boss of some kind.

when it appeared, mega man was the only visible character. it didn't look like it came out of an assist trophy or any other summoning item. even if it was an assist trophy, that would mean that mega man summoned it (sinced hes the only character on screen), and if THATS the case, why the Italicized HELL would he start hitting his own assist trophy?

yep..PPPPREEETY sure its a boss.

There was a picture on the dojo where Kirby was inside the yellow devil. And Megaman was doing that because it was a shout out to the Megaman fans who played Megaman 2 when you had to jump and shoot his eye, which I might add was hard, especially since he broke himself down into blocks. Also, he was the only character on stage because its a trailer and sakurai is the developer, he can do what he wants. We already seen him display the game on a battlefield with no platforms.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Even if we get a shot of 2 characters fighting the Yellow Devil, that doesn't confirm anything. In Brawl, you could do co-op SSE, and in Smash WiiU and 3DS, I wouldn't rule out that being the case with every game mode, possibly with up to 4 players (and online!?!?!?) co-op for all the game modes.
Right now the closest thing to what Yellow Devil is, is probably an Assist Trophy. There was a picture about a week or two back where a Kirby was resting pretty much on top of Yellow Devil. If he was a boss, Kirby would most likely be taking damage for touch him (as is any boss in the smash series). Of course this is the only other picture we've seen of Yellow Devil besides the trailer.
I know bosses hurt you by touching them in Mega Man, but in Brawl, that wasn't the case with bosses.

Also, there is still an oddball chance that the Yellow Devil is some combination of a boss, Assist Trophy character, and/or a stage hazard (2 out of the 3). There's also some thoughts lingering that he could be a new type/category/brand of Assist Trophies (which may or may not be a different item) that are essentially bosses fighting alongside their summoner.

This, again, showcases why Sakurai is the king of the ambiguous mind games, and that just when you think you know what he is going to throw us a fastball, instead, he grabs a pen a starts drawing doodles of his cat! :laugh:

grizby2

Smash Lord
There was a picture on the dojo where Kirby was inside the yellow devil. And Megaman was doing that because it was a shout out to the Megaman fans who played Megaman 2 when you had to jump and shoot his eye, which I might add was hard, especially since he broke himself down into blocks. Also, he was the only character on stage because its a trailer and sakurai is the developer, he can do what he wants. We already seen him display the game on a battlefield with no platforms.
the whole "still in development" counter-argument really kills my Speculation buzz.. :urg: nothing against you in particular or anything like that.

I beat the game before, so I know about the whole "eye" thing.
that picture of Kirby with yellow devil could just be Kirby going through the "mega man themed" part of the adventure mode by himself for all we know.
EDIT: Johnknight1 ninja'd me on the co-op boss battles
until I see 3 characters on the same stage with Yellow devil, I will not be convinced that he is an assist trophy/stage hazard.

personally, I just don't think it being an assist trophy or hazard would be using yellow devil to its fullest potential. just look at it: its iconic, just the right size for the game, it has its own theme..
bosses totally deserve their own themes this time around.
DONT WASTE THE YELLOW DEVIL THEME!

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Probably a stage hazard. The developer video gameplay didn't have him there because the gameplay shown on screen was like 6 seconds.
Yeesh. I really hope he's not a stage hazard because that would be a waste of the Yellow Devil's potential.

That doesn't stop him from being both a stage hazard in normal modes and a boss in Adventure mode.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Y'know, it's a great theory. Really, I don't care what he ends up being, as long as he isn't a stage hazard. It's such a waste of a glorious Mega Man stage that could be both tournament viable and enjoyed by all if it doesn't have a randomly-spawning monster on it.

Assist trophy, boss or something we haven't even thought of yet, please. Anything but a stage hazard!

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Haha, no problem bro. However, while I have heard you say it before, I haven't heard anyone quite "connect the dots" like I think I kind of have done. I'm sure someone has, but I haven't seen it, or at least in a way I understand that connects the dots to these few various theories that I have concluded are very possible despite most people not being aware of them (myself until I posted this two days ago included).
Yeah. I've been lazy recently about theories (in other words, I don't usually bother).
Glad someone said it though.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^^ No problem brah! :shades:
Y'know, it's a great theory. Really, I don't care what he ends up being, as long as he isn't a stage hazard. It's such a waste of a glorious Mega Man stage that could be both tournament viable and enjoyed by all if it doesn't have a randomly-spawning monster on it.

Assist trophy, boss or something we haven't even thought of yet, please. Anything but a stage hazard!
Agreed. A stage hazard would really kill that stage, unless of course there is an on/off switch for it.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I think the assist trophy spot would go to someone else...Protoman maybe (hopefully)...and if MM gets a boss rep it'll be Dr. Wily over Yellow Devil I'd hope.

I feel Yellow Devil is just a stage hazard tbh.

MylesMad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MylesMad
3DS FC
4141-2408-3059
I think he'd make a cool assist trophy where parts of his body were sent flying back and forth across the stage and when he was fully assembled he'd shoot a couple shots at you.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I think he'd make a cool assist trophy where parts of his body were sent flying back and forth across the stage and when he was fully assembled he'd shoot a couple shots at you.
He would make an interesting AT, but I don't think he is judging from his entrance animation during the end of Mega Man's reveal trailer.

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
I don't think we're getting a switch to turn stage hazards on or off... Sakurai seemed to be against that in an interview some time ago.

Yellow Devil might be a stage hazard, which I fear for, considering I want this stage at tournaments.

At the end of the trailer, it is seen next to the Dr.Wily logo in the floor, then in the site's picture, even if we can't see exactly where the Yellow Devil is standing, its still looks like its on the right side of the stage.

It could be a boss:
Maybe "Adventure Mode" has the same bosses for every character, instead of a specific boss for each series. That would explain why Kirby is seen behind it. Considering we won't be getting a story this time around.

Or an Assist Trophy. Friends and foes can be AT, for example Andross was the last boss for Star Fox and was an AT in Brawl. Except I'd leave this spot for Roll, Protoman, Beat or Eddie (Flip Top).

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't think we're getting a switch to turn stage hazards on or off... Sakurai seemed to be against that in an interview some time ago.
I've never heard him say that.
Yellow Devil might be a stage hazard, which I fear for, considering I want this stage at tournaments.
There will always be mods.
At the end of the trailer, it is seen next to the Dr.Wily logo in the floor, then in the site's picture, even if we can't see exactly where the Yellow Devil is standing, its still looks like its on the right side of the stage.
It is the right side, which is a throwback to the original Mega Man where you battle him (and that epic 10 second looping music plays), which was when he was a boss. That may signify he is a boss.

And my theory on there be assist trophy character "boss characters" still stands as something that is legitimately possible. Assist Trophy characters in Brawl were a nice addition, but they mostly felt like either largely worthless/one dimensional offensive characters, distractions/item summoners, or just straight-forward attackers. Having "boss" characters would create a new "category" of assist trophy characters.

How epic would it be to be Mario fighting alongside the Yellow Devil against Mega Man=??? That would be pretty cool. Heck, if I'm right, something could be done to Shadow (he gets "upgraded" as an Assist Trophy character to a "boss" category Assist Trophy character), maybe we could get a Metal Gear (an actual Metal Gear) as an Assist Trophy "boss," and heck, maybe those bosses could also be bosses/mini-bosses in boss mode, event matches, and/or adventure mode as well. It could be like a total boss-ception! :eek:

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
No, people said he could be a boss from second one. I am just connecting the dots of how this could work in adventure mode. Like, you know how in Melee's Adventure Mode in the first level you run through, explore around, fight a bunch of Yoshi, and either fight Mario and Peach or Luigi and Peach=???

Instead of facing them when you finish the "Adventure Mode level" (which the Mega Man equivalent is obviously Mega Man himself) and reach the "real level" you face the Yellow Devil instead... possibly as just a boss before another boss (the ultimate possible Mega Man-related boss being Dr. Wily). That's not even counting the possibility that each character could have their own Adventure Mode path, and that Mega Man's could end with a super epic Dr. Wily castle run, which this thinking lead me to believe is more possible than I could have ever realized.
All right, fair enough. I was pretty grumpy the night I posted that, so I wasn't exactly thinking it through. But what you're speculating sounds absolutely awesome.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I think he is an Assist Trophy, remember in Brawl when a character picked up an Assist Trophy they pick it up and the character come out the top with that said did you notice in the trailers he came out the top instead of the right side.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm thinking assist trophy or Boss in adventure mode. Like you said.

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
I've never heard him say that. There will always be mods.
Mods? The console hasn't been hacked open yet, and besides, mods aren't legal in tournaments. And yes, I do know about the Infinite Replay Hack for Brawl.

About Sakurai and turning Stage Hazards On/Off:

PN:What level of customization will be present in the game? In the past players had access to a great many options, notably regarding items. Are you going to implement new ones, such as being able to switch off damages caused by stage hazards?

S:You will still be able to control the apparition of items, but you won't be able to turn off stage hazards. If we did that, you'd find yourself with PSASB!
Source: Eventhubs.com

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Mods? The console hasn't been hacked open yet, and besides, mods aren't legal in tournaments.
The console was hacked in a week, which is how we found out about the Yoshi game and the possible Metal Gear game.

Also, mods such as costume mods, stage texture mods, and music mods are legal in Brawl tournaments, as well as Brawl hacks (such as Project M, Balanced Brawl, Brawl Minus, and Brawl Plus) tournaments. Heck, technically those hacked games are hacks.
And yes, I do know about the Infinite Replay Hack for Brawl.
Those aren't hacks; I'm talking about real hacks; haven't you heard of the Brawl Vault=??? :confused:

There's literally tens of thousands of hacks, from textures for stages and characters and the menus, to music hacks, to stage hacks (new stages, returning stages), to character hack PSA's (play as Mewtwo, for instance), to gameplay hacks (Project M, Brawl -, Brawl +, Balanced Brawl), etc. etc. etc. There's tons of hacks in Brawl, and there will be tons of hacks in Smash WiiU and 3Ds.
In that interview it sounds even more like my theory of said Yellow Devil being one of many character (Melee) Adventure Mode-esk bosses or mini-bosses is more likely than ever! :eek:

Also, good link find brah. ;)

And that PlayStation All-Stars quote was golden, lol (but we'll still find a way to turn them off via hacks).

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
The console was hacked in a week, which is how we found out about the Yoshi game and the possible Metal Gear game.

Also, mods such as costume mods, stage texture mods, and music mods are legal in Brawl tournaments, as well as Brawl hacks (such as Project M, Balanced Brawl, Brawl Minus, and Brawl Plus) tournaments. Heck, technically those hacked games are hacks.

Costume, stages, music, it mostly depends on the tournament organizer to allow them or not. As for game hacks, they're usually played as their own game/category.

Anyways, I'm still hoping it's an Adventure Mode like boss... Or a not very disruptive stage hazard.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Costume, stages, music, it mostly depends on the tournament organizer to allow them or not. As for game hacks, they're usually played as their own game/category.
True, but I think if there's anything game breaking, that kills a stage from being tournament legal, or something stupid like tripping, tournaments might actually get those things removed. After Brawl hacks exploded to become a big and awesome thing, more tournament going people are more open to such hacks.
Anyways, I'm still hoping it's an Adventure Mode like boss... Or a not very disruptive stage hazard.
I'd rather the Yellow Devil be an Assist Trophy character than a stage hazard, because if he's a stage hazard, he automatically makes that stage kind of annoying to play (I've hated such stage hazards forever, sans the predictable and the stage hazards on Saffron City). Still, it would be sad if Proto Man or Bass weren't Assist Trophy characters or mini-bosses.

Top Bottom