• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I just cant deal with projectile spam

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
-sigh-

For Glory, man. It has ways of reminding you of just how terrible people playing this game can be. I'm nearly at my wit's end with these effing FG scrubs. Every single of them plays the same.

Vs. Mewtwo
-charge shadow ball
-roll to other end of stage when approached
-fire shadow ball
-repeat

Vs. samus
-charge the charge shot
-fire missiles when you get bored of charge shot
-fire charge shot
-repeat

Vs. Robin
-charge elthunder
-use arcfire when approached
-fire thoron
-repeat

Vs. Link/Toon Link
-throw boomerang
-fire arrow
-throw bomb
-repeat

I dont get it. Who boots up super smash bros and goes "ah man, I cant wait to sit on one side of the screen and press the B button over and over again!" Because it ceases to be super smash bros at that point. It becomes a game of grab ass, and sometimes, I am just not in the mood to put up with that crap. I'll often just SD if someone is spamming super hardcore, like say, if I'm sitting on the opposite side of the arena, dodging and shielding all their projectiles and clearly not getting hit, and they just keep doing it.

"No no, it's ok link. I know you're boomerang and bombs cant reach me, but at least you're trying."

I dont want to fight link's projectiles, I want to fight link! Ya know?

It's gotten to the point where I feel like I'm required to main a character with a reflector, because these people are effing relentless! It really says something when I do switch to Fox and just completely body them; just the possibility of the reflector puts the fear of god into them, and their over-reliance on projectiles comes back to bite them in the ass...and I dont even play Fox (well, I used to in brawl...)!

And in all honesty, I struggle against spam because I am a very impatient person. When I jump into FG, it's full steam ahead; I wanna just get in a game and start kicking ass. I dont have the time or patience to sit there for 3 mins because Nooby McScrubberton thinks pressing the B button over and over makes for an engaging, exhilarating game of smash bros.

It's especially bad when it's mewtwo doing it. I mean, he has ONE PROJECTILE.

ONE.

Why would you only make use of that one move on such an unique character? If you wanna camp and spam your B move all day, at least play effing samus and stop tarnishing mewtwo's reputation with your scrub playstyle. Jeez.

And look, I know the supposed way to get around spam; walk forward, power shield, close the distance. But it just doesnt effing work when rolls in this game are equivalent to temporarily vanishing to another dimension. I read the rolls, but because it's online and rolls are stupidly safe, I dont get rewarded for doing so 90% of the time. It happens a lot.

Read the roll and did a down smash? Too bad, rolls are godly.
Read the roll and did a backwards side smash? Too bad, they rolled again and you missed the single frame they were vulnerable.
Read the roll and did a backwards side tilt? Too bad, the game lagged a bit and made you do a jab instead.

Why do the invincibility frames end only just before you can initiate another roll? Who thought this was balanced? Why cant those frames end halfway through the roll? Because it's meant to avoid a single attack, and not serve as a safe means of movement across a stage!

it's no wonder people say smash4 doesnt reward offensive play; why should you ever go on the offensive? Bad things happen when you do that.

Sorry about all this, but I really needed to vent. I main dedede, ganondorf, and little mac, so projectile spam raises my salt levels especially quickly.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I feel you.
I once met a Link on For Glory with the username "Yousuck" who did nothing but spam projectiles all match, waited for you to wade through them and then hit you with his quick f-Smashes. He nearly took me to time and nailes me last second with an u-Smash. And then he left without rematching me. It was quite enfuriating.
Problem with this guy was that he was actually competent. Apparently he set up his 3DS in that manner just so he could be a jerk to people.

That aside, when I play Dedede and meet projectile spammers, I like to inhale their projectiles in an attempt of telling them "you ain't intimidating me with this drivel". He can devour nearly all projectiles, which is pretty satisfying.
I've gotten pretty okay at dealing with projectile spam anyhow, you just gotta stay out of their line of fire and find patterns in their movements. Most of them are pretty predictable.
Best of luck!

And remember, being a King Dedede main means that

kinbobbobkin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Remybunny14
3DS FC
1822-1654-6056
For Robin, you should pressure him/her on using all of his/her tomes. Luckily those tomes runs out and you can go for the hit.

FP-Takyon

Smash Apprentice
Robin's spam is easy to break through, and you can make em run out of projectiles for a while. then again, I main mega man so projectile spam isn't a problem for me usually. most of the time I just jump over it and fast fall with a fair to get in.

When I run Ganondorf though I just slowly close the distance, shielding and spot dodging whatever I have to. Eventually they'll be backed into a corner and be forced to act, and with enough practice you can usually read how they'll go about it and stomp their **** in accordingly.

the key element to dealing with projectile spam is patience, and lots of it. ideally, FD wouldn't be the standard map for FG, and something like battlefield would be better. but what's done is done.

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Robin's spam is easy to break through, and you can make em run out of projectiles for a while. then again, I main mega man so projectile spam isn't a problem for me usually. most of the time I just jump over it and fast fall with a fair to get in.
My biggest issue with robin is that arcfire, unlike PK fire, doesnt disappear when shielded. Because even if you shield it, you have to hold it for the duration of the move or else you get sent flying back by the last hit. Either way, it gives robin time to run up and grab/nosferatu, or dodge roll backwards and maintain distance.

My second biggest issue is that running out of tomes literally means nothing because of how quickly they respawn. If robin had to wait like 30 secs for arcfire to return, I'd have much less trouble against him/her, and robins online would be forced to use their moves more cautiously.

In fact, I dare say robin would be less spammy if the tomes were a finite resource, and did not return until you lost a stock. That'd stop spammers cold in their tracks.

"Oh, you're out of arcfires? Gee, it's almost like you should have tried to use them more strategically. Dont worry, you'll get it back as soon as I KO you! Now hold still, this hammer needs a sec to charge."

When I run Ganondorf though I just slowly close the distance, shielding and spot dodging whatever I have to. Eventually they'll be backed into a corner and be forced to act, and with enough practice you can usually read how they'll go about it and stomp their **** in accordingly.

the key element to dealing with projectile spam is patience, and lots of it. ideally, FD wouldn't be the standard map for FG, and something like battlefield would be better. but what's done is done.
Dude, that's all I would ever ask for if I had the chance to. Battlefield would be godsend. All you have to do to avoid spammers is jump up! No weaving through projectiles, no chasing the other guy across the stage, and no camping! It's amazing what a few platforms can do.

Last edited:

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
Hi, get the percent lead and then try to time them out. When they get frustrated is when they get desperate and is the prime time for punishing.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Hi, get the percent lead and then try to time them out. When they get frustrated is when they get desperate and is the prime time for punishing.
There's no point in getting a percent lead, because it'll go to sudden death as long as the stocks are even.

Moonslash

Smash Rookie
NNID
AmonExE
I feel for you man! Someone needs to make a guide on how punish these projectile spam players. I think the worst one has to be Toon Link/Link.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I wish they'd be banned from online.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Projectile spammers? No better opportunity to learn the timing for perfect shielding I'd say. If you know that your opponent's spamming projectiles, it's safe to say that they're predictable. Speaking as a Lucina main who has to approach spammers every other match on For Glory, I recommend this strategy:

Try a slow approach; walk towards them and alternative between jumping and shielding their projectiles. When you're far away from your opponent, jump over their projectiles so that you don't waste precious shield; once you get close to them (as in, you being around center stage and them towards the ledge), your shield comes into play.

If you read them correctly, you can block the projectile and close in out them; forcing them to try to put distance between you between them. At this point, you have to watch out for a Smash attack or a grab depending on the character. Samus and Link players are more likely to shield your attack and retaliate with a grab due to their range. Provided that you can read them, you can get the punish.

Things to keep in mind are the speed and power of your opponent's projectile; Mewtwo and Samus's full-charged Neutral B's will WRECK your shield if you're not careful.

The most important thing is to be patient; spammers aren't impossible, they require some thought and attention. If you rush recklessly, you'll find yourself taking a lot of damage.

Born in 1839...

Smash Apprentice
"It has ways of reminding you of just how terrible people playing this game can be."

You can't beat these players, so maybe you are also terrible.
Anyways, if you can't find a way around it, try using the tactic on others. Maybe try using a new character. You should try R.O.B., he is definitely not a great character, but he can get the job done. He's fun to use, extremely rare, and aesthetically pleasing to see on the screen.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Projectile spammers? No better opportunity to learn the timing for perfect shielding I'd say. If you know that your opponent's spamming projectiles, it's safe to say that they're predictable. Speaking as a Lucina main who has to approach spammers every other match on For Glory, I recommend this strategy:

Try a slow approach; walk towards them and alternative between jumping and shielding their projectiles. When you're far away from your opponent, jump over their projectiles so that you don't waste precious shield; once you get close to them (as in, you being around center stage and them towards the ledge), your shield comes into play.

If you read them correctly, you can block the projectile and close in out them; forcing them to try to put distance between you between them. At this point, you have to watch out for a Smash attack or a grab depending on the character. Samus and Link players are more likely to shield your attack and retaliate with a grab due to their range. Provided that you can read them, you can get the punish.
I usually get this part down (the approach), and I'm good at perfect shielding, but somehow, some way, they always manage to slip by me to the other end of stage, even when I read the roll and try to punish it. Online + rolls being ******** in smash4 really doesnt do me any favors.

Another thing is that no matter how many times I close the gap, they just keep on running away and spamming, and it just gets really tiring.

"It has ways of reminding you of just how terrible people playing this game can be."

You can't beat these players, so maybe you are also terrible.
Oh, I didnt mean terrible as in "these people suck at the game"; I meant terrible as in "people are real jerks online."

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Perhaps an aerial approach?

I main Charizard and like good old Dedede there, he has multiple jumps.

Jump towards them to scare them, then give them the hammer.

I don't main Dedede and I'll admit Charizard is better equiped for the situtaion with Flare Blitz, Rock Smash and Flame Thrower, but aerial approaches really do me wonders.

Maybe they'll do the same for you.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
Don't blame the player, blame the creator.

I hate for glory Toon Links (Especially the blue ones.) They are the ones putting my main at risk of a potential nerf!

I may be a spammer but I only spam moves as much as they are meant to be spammed. Sitting in a corner all day will only get you bombarded, They never angle their boomerangs up and when they are down a stock then they fight predictably and desperately like a kid trying to get their candy back only to be blocked and grabbed.

Toon Link and Link both are played mostly by bad players and their character is good at taking out other bad players with ease due to their movesets being too hard for their opponents skill level to handle.

Last edited:

YoPoYo9100

Smash Apprentice
Its just how the games designed, it rewards constant bombardment against a lot of characters, especially the large ones.

You just have to learn. Learn how to bate out certain projectiles and punish accordingly. It may be difficult at times but as long as your not giving up your learning.

Staticky

Smash Cadet
Calling someone a "projectile spammer" is a really weak thing to say. It makes you look like a noob. FG makes it hard to perfect shield, so yeah, they get an extreme advantage because of it in FG. Either don't play FG, or try to get a better connection.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
The first three are why I love being a Ness main
That feel when they think they're being smart by throwing Shadow Ball / Charge Shot / "insert energy based strong attack here" in an attempt to screw over your recovery, but what ends up happening is you heal 20 ~ 30% and get back to the stage anyway.

That feel :)

Beach

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CallMeBeach
Part of it is that For Glory has only Omega stages which mean you can't escape through platforms or other means, pick up a character with a good reflect as a secondary and continue on.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm surprised nobody talks about Falco when they bring up projectile spam. Freakin' blaster is like Mega Man's pellets, except they cross the entire stage... you can't out-camp him either, because he has a reflector. Give Fox a little credit, his Blaster doesn't instantly halt approach options. Definitely the least fun character in the game to fight IMO (yes, even worse than Villager). At least they finally nerfed him...

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Calling someone a "projectile spammer" is a really weak thing to say. It makes you look like a noob. FG makes it hard to perfect shield, so yeah, they get an extreme advantage because of it in FG. Either don't play FG, or try to get a better connection.

There is nothing wrong with complaining about people being ***** on For Glory.

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
You main Dedede, Ganondorf, and Little Mac. All 3 of those characters rely on punishing the opponent's mistakes, and their high damage/high knockback moves do punish mistakes hard. You're essentially complaining that your opponents aren't approaching you. From a strategic standpoint, why would they when the potential price is so high? You can't expect players to play the way you want them to play, especially when playing that way can expose their weaknesses and enhance your strengths.

I know, the whole camping, one track mind can get annoying to play against, and there's no shortage of those types on FG. And FG has a lot of those players. The good news is that once you actually get good enough to deal with that strategy, you're going to be beating them effortlessly and laughing at the futility of what they're trying to do. Your main problem sounds like you simply aren't good enough yet to consistently punish rolling. Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i40uNJ9OKA, and then explore your own character(s) options for punishing rolls. Once you figure it out, those players you complain about will likely leave after the first match and not bother to continue playing you.

Nah

Smash Champion
Heeeeeeeey, we don't ALL play like that =( Arcfire and Thunder are a big part of Robin's game but I'm more than willing to engage people in close combat too.

Unless your connection is so terrible that you get a ton of lag every single game, it's not impossible to deal with them. Most roll+projectile spam players are pretty predictable and do the exact same thing over and over so if you watch them for a bit you'll learn their pattern. DSmash is often a good roll punish tool for many characters, and Dedede is no exception. If you're near the edge of the stage it is very likely that they're gonna roll behind you, so you can predict where they're gonna be and catch them with an attack or a grab or something. You also have good range with your hammer and multiple jumps, make use of that.

....Robin should be the easiest one for you to deal with imo

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
wow great post

your tendency to sd is totally going to help in the future, i can tell. will you walk out of a major when you get camped by :4sheik:/1223 :4villagerf:/:4wario2:? complacency is the sign of a good player.

sarcasm aside, learn to approach. :4mewtwo: and :4samus:'s projectiles may be big, but they aren't that fast. powershield and punish their rolls (especially :4samus:, her roll is awful). they aren't going to beat :4dedede:/:4ganondorf:/:4littlemac:up close.

TheGlamourGroup

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGlamourGroup
3DS FC
4012-5262-5536
You're totally right. It's so annoying going against Link and Toon Link spammers.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
My connection is fine. It's just that even the smallest amount of input delay can throw you off. Most of my issues with punishing rolls come from rolls themselves being way too good.

I'll read a roll, down-smash, and it wont connect because they're still in the "lol invulnerable" frames of the roll.
Or...
I'll read a roll, charge a down-smash slightly, and it'll get shielded and I end up getting punished instead.
Or...
I'll read a roll and actually get the hit.

Rolling really should be more punishable, if you ask me.

regularkid123

Smash Cadet
Greninja.....The king of spam...i met a greninja that did nothing but shoryuken both ways and tryed to keep me by the edge im so sick of greninja on FG

shadowrohas

Smash Rookie
You say "I don't want to fight Link's projectiles, I want to fight Link" when that's a part of his moveset, It's like telling a Rosalina to never fight with Luma. It's a part of the character, and like it or not you're going to have to deal with it. That's how zoners are. You shouldn't get mad at them for using their projectiles to prevent you from getting close. If your connection is fine, then you should have no trouble going about reading rolls or powershielding.

If you still have this problem in a lag free environment, it's less about them spamming projectiles and more about you not doing the countermeasures properly.

Last edited:

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Most of these you can just sheild. Arc fire is a little annoying but it's not too hard.

Obviously omega stages favor projectiles a bit so don't let it bother you too much you should feel even better when you win knowing they had an inherent advantage.

If you really can't get shielding down try a character whose fast with a reflector like::4mario::4fox: or try your own projectile character::4rob:(gyro can stop a lot of projectiles his side b is also a wonky reflector)

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
My connection is fine. It's just that even the smallest amount of input delay can throw you off. Most of my issues with punishing rolls come from rolls themselves being way too good.

I'll read a roll, down-smash, and it wont connect because they're still in the "lol invulnerable" frames of the roll.
Or...
I'll read a roll, charge a down-smash slightly, and it'll get shielded and I end up getting punished instead.
Or...
I'll read a roll and actually get the hit.

Rolling really should be more punishable, if you ask me.
Rolls are good in this game, but you're making this sound like if you're not totally frame perfect precise then you can't punish rolls, and that's just not true. When they roll, figure out where they're going(shouldn't be difficult if they are roll spamming), and throw out a hitbox. I highly recommend watching the earlier linked video.

Top Bottom