• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have trouble playing against falcons and another question

Slüt

Smash Rookie
does any other yoshi mains have that problem.

I also have a problem approaching an opponent who blocks a lot. Since yoshi's grab is so unsafe, what should i do? and if i cannot approach what are yoshi's defensive options. I feel as if yoshi shines the best when being super aggressive and abusing his super armor to deal back damage

this is my first thread so im not sure if i broke any rules

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
I am terrible against falcon, even if I can reliably end stocks and tie in neutral most of the time.

If they are shielding you can try and bait out an option since their shield doesn't last forever. Remember that your opponent usually will have a pattern for escaping pressure (most people roll in from the edge if they are pressured and stuck in shield). Spaced fair is quite good on shield since people generally don't know how to punish it, and you can usually keep pressure up with jab > jab > dsmash/dtilt (to shield poke).

Yoshi's defensive options are arguable the best in the game if used correctly; Wavedash back sends you back at a moderate distance, just enough to be able to punish a whiff easily with plenty of leeway for spacing. Parry is arguably the best move in the game for punishing (source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeYddZgy7tc), but it is difficult. Jump away > turnaroundDJC aerial is quite good and can cause a lot of moves to whiff. Shield dropping of course. Grab is situation out of shield, but use it if they miss an L cancel.

(Also in my opinion, yoshi is not that good at being super aggressive, as yoshi can get overwhelmed by better hitboxes at close range, but that is just me I am sure)

Last edited:

RadiantIke

Smash Rookie
the best part about Yoshi's neutral b is that it is a grab and he doesn't need to land so if the opponent is shielding a lot then you could short hop into neutral b. since you short hop they expect an attack and will hope to grab you out of it but then you put them in an egg and hopefully start a combo.

against Falcon, I have a lot of trouble too and I generally try to make them approach by throwing eggs and then go for either a DJC up air if they approach from above or a back air. It doesn't really seem like a good idea to be aggressive against falcon.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
the best part about Yoshi's neutral b is that it is a grab and he doesn't need to land so if the opponent is shielding a lot then you could short hop into neutral b. since you short hop they expect an attack and will hope to grab you out of it but then you put them in an egg and hopefully start a combo.

against Falcon, I have a lot of trouble too and I generally try to make them approach by throwing eggs and then go for either a DJC up air if they approach from above or a back air. It doesn't really seem like a good idea to be aggressive against falcon.
I fight falcon's....a lot. one things i can advise is even though it's harder for Yoshi to fight up close the same can be said for falcon. (least this is in my opinion) Falcon's Profit a lot on big room stages (Dreamland/Final Destination) but suffer really bad on small stages (Yoshi's & FOD) The less space they have to attack you the better.

Top Bottom