• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have the Answer to the common controller question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellerdood32

Smash Cadet
The Best Controller: Wiimote nunchuck/Classic
The Most Overrated controller: GC
The Worst Controller: Wiimote on side

Ok i honestly think nunchuck and classic are best, but gc can be good too, my beef is that there so outdated, there around 6 years old, the wired ones are....well wired. Ive heard wavebirds can lag and i know from personal experience the buttons stick. I just think most people are scared there gonna lose there skill switching controllers. The wiimote on its side is not even playable. I have not played with the classic controller but it looks good to me, only bad thing ive heard is that theres something wrong with the analog sticks.

But the wii nunchuck is definitely the way to go. youve got all the buttons right under your fingers, latest technology controller, wireless and not to mention a nice rumble feature.
Well thats what i have to say about the controllers, please give me your opinion if you like.

P.S. dont give me that garbage saying theres 100 other threads just like this one, im not asking a question im giving and askking for opinions:chuckle:

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
syncing controllers is such a pain though! i know at my brawl tourneys im gonna make it cube controllers only. all those wiis in one room trying to sync is just a mess... plus for smash, the GC rly is designed to be the best, even sakurai has said that.

red stone

Smash Ace
People can play however they like. I personally like the GC controller for it's C-stick for better DI with aerials and also because the buttons are close together for easy access. But as i said before, just go with the control scheme you want, forget everyone else. However, i do want to see someone beat everyone at tournaments using the wiimote scheme

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, if I'm going to be playing with any controller besides the GameCube, it's gonna be the classic. Smash Bros. is gonna feel really awkward with the Wiimote Nunchuk to me.

Andrex

Smash Apprentice
syncing controllers is such a pain though! i know at my brawl tourneys im gonna make it cube controllers only. all those wiis in one room trying to sync is just a mess... plus for smash, the GC rly is designed to be the best, even sakurai has said that.
Link? I'm kind of tired of everyone here distorting Sakurai's quotes or taking them out of proportion.

The only thing I remember him saying on the subject was back at E3 2006 during the Q & A session, and he said you "should hold on to your GameCube controllers." That statement is pretty ambiguous, in addition it's been two years since then so anything can change.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
He did actually say that GC controllers are best for Brawl. Then he comented on how he liked the rumble as well.

And I will use everyone equally BUT.............there will be changes made. For instance, I'm switching Z and X on the GC one. Just like things like that :p

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
"I suppose I would recommend the Nintendo GameCube controller, though. I like the feel of that powerful rumble." - Masahiro Sakurai

Best I could come up with.

Anyways, I'll definitely buy a new Gamecube controller, but I'll still try the other forms. Does anyone know if you can transfer your memory with your Wiimote, but still plug in and use a GCN controller? Or would you have to use a Wiimote-based control scheme to upload your memory to a different Wii? I'm positive I'll be playing at multiple people's places, and I want to keep my name and stats and such, possibly controls if I want to change them up. Does anyone know how that works?

Dynamism

Smash Lord
How can you DI backwards while attacking forwards on the Wiimote+Nun-chuck setup?
I would set the note-pad to smashes. That would work fine. Still not the same without a stick though. What I do wonder though, is if the two stick DI is in Brawl and if a note-pad would work for that. Either way, it would be fun to stand a play like that lol. But definitaly not that "move wiimote upwards to jump" thing. And I'll be getting rid of the "up on stick to jump" feature as well. With Z and X switch, it's pointless!

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
95% of all smash players will probably use the GC controller simply because it would be the most confortable and familiar setup. Honestly, the Remote by itself seems to be the worst one. What would happen if you ran out of batteries during the match? Will you remember to bring a spare pair of batteries? Also, what happens when you have 50+ Remote all in a single room? Interference is ALMOST guaranteed.

kitsuneboy_geoff

Smash Apprentice
The Wiimote syncing issue is the only thing stopping me from switching to the Nunchuck+Wiimote setup. I'll stick with my wired GC controller.

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
didnt he mention it on the iwata asks?
found it

sakurai said:
That’s right. Ultimately, the game supports the Wii Remote, the Classic Controller, the Nunchuk and the Nintendo GameCube controller, and having support for these four controllers was something that we set from the start of the planning stages. However, the purpose of designing Smash Brothers Brawl was not Wii-like play that utilizes the pointer. If we had decided to adhere to the new approach offered by the Wii, I think it would have been possible to design the game with more unconventional controls. However, in the end, I set aside several ideas as I thought it was important to dedicate our resources to developing what our gamers were looking for.
http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/ssbb/vol2_page1.jsp

metayoshi

Smash Cadet
Have you tried the Wiimote w/Nunchuk scheme? I've played the Japanese Version at a friend's place and Wiimote w/Nunchuk is THE WORST scheme to me. There were only 3 things on there that were comfortable for me to use: A, Z, and the Nunchuk's Analog stick. Everything else was sloppy. The B button is now a trigger where the Gamecube R or Gamecube Z button should be. Jump SHOULD be down on the D-pad (as this is the same relative position that X is on the Gamecube controller with respect to the A button), but they mapped it to up on the D-pad. Left and right on the D-pad was grabbing. Down was shield like the Z button. It doesn't make any sense...

I know that the controls are customizable, but seriously, the fact that the B button is a trigger instead of a face button makes me hate the Wiimote-Nunchuk scheme. I recommend Wiimote only if you're not going with the Classic Controller or a Gamecube controller.

Of course, people can choose whatever they want, but I believe that the Dual Analog setup of the Classic and Gamecube controllers, plus the fact that they have the B button on the front of the controller, makes those two control schemes superior in every way.

Jael Irish

Smash Apprentice
Best, Most Over rated, Worst...

**** he forgot one!

The only one allowed at tournaments: The Gamecube Controller

cynar

Smash Apprentice
synching takes 5 secs..

I'll be using a gc/cc since they are the most familiar layouts but the whining about the wiimote is rediculous.

Staco

Smash Champion
remember, on gc controller you can use the c-stick in air to make airs!!!!
with that you can jump in one direction and make a move into the other direction
thats the thing, why gc is trhe best, you can do more things

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
GCN controller, in my opinion, is the most comfortable gamepad ever released. Ever. The size, the shape, the button layout... it's the god of all game controllers. Whoever designed that controller deserves a promotion, two cookies and an internet.

That is why I prefer the GCN controller for Smash, I think it's more comfortable, and that's why I use it whenever possible.

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
@Kellerdood32
Jesus we have been getting too many people from gamefaqs lately.

//thread
the gamecube controller just overrated for a reason: its the best.
also, breathing is overrated stop doing it.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
Well gamecube controller + classic = best controllers as they have the most easily accessible buttons. But I could see myself getting used to the Wiimote+Nunchuck if I really wanted to... here's would be my control maping scheme.

Analog Stick = Movement, Jump
A=Smash Attacks
B=Special Attacks
Z=Shield/Dodge
A+Z=Grab
Shake Smash = On
Down Dpad = Jump
- = Pause
1+2 = Taunt
Left, Right Dpad = Grab
Up D-Pad = taunt

Only thing missing is the C-Stick, but shake smash would help compensate for it as I only used it in the air anyways.

I'm still going to play the game with the Cube controller though.

iron blade

Smash Ace
I'm sticking with a Gamecube controller. I don't care if it's wired, that's what extension cords are for. The GC controller was pretty much designed for Smash. The button layout couldn't get better IMO, and you can always customize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom