• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm winning......?

Making_Waves

Smash Cadet
Seriously. I'm still solidifying who my mains are going to be, and this is what happens when I try Rosalina and Luma.

When I play other characters I usually have a gameplan in my head. "I need to approach with fair, try to stay out of grabs, combo with moves x, y then z, kill with moves a, b, and c in these situations at percents higher than...." etc.

However, when I'm playing as Rosalina I'm just like "lol tilts jabs and aerials to victory"

But yet somehow I'm winning or at least holding my own against players who would handle me very easily with characters I have more experience with.

Does R&Ls moves have THAT much higher priority over everyone else?
What are your strategies going into a match? Anyone have a good guide to read?

Last edited:

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
I know many Rosalina mains will violently disagree with me, but this character is fairly good at an entry level. It doesn't take months of practice to realize your aerials are good, your Luma hits are safe, and you generally break grabs by mashing buttons. That said, once you begin facing opponents who understand how your hitboxes work ( generally running into them is a bad idea ), you'll need a deeper understanding of this ocean of a character.

To answer a few of your other statements:
- It's not so much that her aerials have priority, but they simply create zones where your opponent cannot move, or otherwise be damaged. Not many other characters have large, disjointed aerials, that also stay out for a few seconds, and that will lead to a lot of inexperienced foes attempting to beat them outright with normal attacks.

- Strategies? Depends on the matchup of course. Generally though, I'm looking to find areas relative to my opponent where my moves will always outprioritize theirs, and stay in those areas as long as possible. If a character has a bad down air, I'm going to look to get them up in the air as early as I can ( Luma up tilt is amazing for this ), if a character has a particularly fast back air, I'm going to try and either approach from the front, or split their attention by shooting Luma out. This character always has a huge amount of viable options and strategies available, and you need to cherry pick which to use every single match depending on their character and playstyle.

- Most would recommend the first Rosalina guide under the guide tab, http://smashboards.com/guides/the-stellar-waltzing-duo-rosalina-luma.64/. It's not bad, but I don't think it's been updated since the last balancing patch, so I'd recommend reading the Rosalina changes here http://smashboards.com/threads/3ds-community-patch-notes-v1-0-4-engine-changes-to-di.378404/ as well.

Hope I answered your questions well enough. ^^

ArchmageMC

Smash Apprentice
Anyone make a good video guide for Rosalina as well? Or is that not a thing yet.

also whats the point of luma grounded aerial? just to desync?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
@ Parcheesy Parcheesy you have a point that Rosalina isn't nearly as hard to get a grasp on as one may expect, especially compared to traditional puppet fighters. But I maintain she's not a character one would suggest to a beginner, simply because Luma is another thing to keep track of and manage.

@ A ArchmageMC Grounded Luma aerials are good because it's throwing out hitboxes while Rosalina herself is free to do whatever she wants. If it's attached to Rosalina at the time, it will even follow her around if she moves. Here's a video demonstrating some potential uses.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Yeah, I probably didn't word that the best. She's certainly not a character you would recommend to someone who just started playing Smash games, as a lot of her hitboxes and movement is confusing. I'd recommend her more to either a person with previous Smash experience, or someone who plays the game enough to be able to pick up any character with moderate success. Basically, she's a good start for anyone with previous fighting game experience, who can work around her unusual hitboxes and Luma management.

It's just back in the 3DS era, it was really obvious that this character is downright cruel against people who don't know how to play against her, so with two players just starting out, the Rosalina should almost always win. Not only that, but there are numerous mechanics that make her own mistakes less punishing ( grounded Luma aerials, Luma respawn, and grab / combo breaks all give the character strengths where the rest of the cast has a weakness ).

Edit:
Not sure how much of this is bias. I've always loved micromanagement mechanics, so it might be a harsher learning curve for newer players not looking at the character that way. *shrug*

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Edit:
Not sure how much of this is bias. I've always loved micromanagement mechanics, so it might be a harsher learning curve for newer players not looking at the character that way. *shrug*
FWIW I've traditionally struggled with using puppet fighters despite loving their concept but Rosalina is much easier to use. Although this is at least partially due to how Luma simply attacks simultaneously rather than having its own set of separate inputs. I'm thinking Shadow Labrys and Carl Clover here mostly. But Rosalina does have a smaller learning curve than most characters in her archetype.

Last edited:

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
I know many Rosalina mains will violently disagree with me, but this character is fairly good at an entry level. It doesn't take months of practice to realize your aerials are good, your Luma hits are safe, and you generally break grabs by mashing buttons. That said, once you begin facing opponents who understand how your hitboxes work ( generally running into them is a bad idea ), you'll need a deeper understanding of this ocean of a character.

To answer a few of your other statements:
- It's not so much that her aerials have priority, but they simply create zones where your opponent cannot move, or otherwise be damaged. Not many other characters have large, disjointed aerials, that also stay out for a few seconds, and that will lead to a lot of inexperienced foes attempting to beat them outright with normal attacks.

- Strategies? Depends on the matchup of course. Generally though, I'm looking to find areas relative to my opponent where my moves will always outprioritize theirs, and stay in those areas as long as possible. If a character has a bad down air, I'm going to look to get them up in the air as early as I can ( Luma up tilt is amazing for this ), if a character has a particularly fast back air, I'm going to try and either approach from the front, or split their attention by shooting Luma out. This character always has a huge amount of viable options and strategies available, and you need to cherry pick which to use every single match depending on their character and playstyle.

- Most would recommend the first Rosalina guide under the guide tab, http://smashboards.com/guides/the-stellar-waltzing-duo-rosalina-luma.64/. It's not bad, but I don't think it's been updated since the last balancing patch, so I'd recommend reading the Rosalina changes here http://smashboards.com/threads/3ds-community-patch-notes-v1-0-4-engine-changes-to-di.378404/ as well.

Hope I answered your questions well enough. ^^
I AM A ROSALINA MAIN AND I...
still agree... Rosalina has a very interesting learning curve. Characters like Olimar has a steep beginning and relatively plateau end towards mastering. Characters like Mario are quick at first, and then take time to really master, and characters like Peach are relatively balanced in difficulty from beginning to mastering. What I've found with Rosalina is that she's easy to pick up. Then it gets difficult. She's juggly, she's hard to go aggro, and it's difficult to maintain two characters at once. Then you get it, and start to really feel her out. But then it gets hard again adding tech to her gameplay.

Another difficult thing is how people think about the split matchup. Do you see it as two characters sharing the same input? Do you see it as an extendable arm, or do you see it as a weapon and holder? All are right, but how you view it will alter your playstyle.

As for winning with Rosalina, unlike with Melee titans Fox/Falco/Sheik ect. It's more like Brawl in feeling out the opponent and knowing what your arsenal is. I never think about what I'm going to do next, I just try and capitalize, and the more I know of the character I'm facing determines whether I down tilt or down smash, Fair or Nair, Luma jab or Luma Star bits. It's about knowing your character well enough that you don't need a plan. That's how Rosalina works-- adaptation.

iiGGYxD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiGGYxD
3DS FC
0447-7543-7353
You can just sum it up as she's fairly easy to pick up, but difficult to master. She has a lot of depth that still needs to be explored. Yes if your opponent has no experience against her you can get away with a lot of nonsense. This can be said for a lot of characters though. Try playing someone who has never played against a ddd and see how they react to gordo spam lol...

Top Bottom