• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have a tournament this Sunday.I want some advice.

Iceballz

Smash Journeyman
I have a tournament actually tomorrow.I wanted to ask if I could get a bit of help.First since I know all the people in my Melee scene.It's relatively going to just be Fox, Jiggs, Marth, Falco, Peach, Cpt.Falcon, Mario and Luigi.The first thing I was wondering is where I should take each character and where I shouldn't.I've only been to a few tournaments and want someone that has a bit more knowledge on this subject than I do.Also any other advice you could give me for tomorrow would be gladly appreciated.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
It's all very dependent on what you and your opponents excel at and play like. If you're not particularly good at dealing with lasers, don't take Falco to FD. By this I mean, if you get stuck in shield or it trips up your movement. If you can chaingrab to death, you may wish to disregard that last recommendation. If you like to fight up close or limit your opponents options by keeping them cornered, Yoshi's is always a good pick. If you can capitalize well on Falco being off stage, take him there. Nowadays, Dream Land is considered one of Falco's better stages vs Fox, but if you play really patient and make him work hard to even hit you, you're golden. Actually try to avoid the ledge when Falco's onstage here and not being pushed off.

Take Falcon to FD (or FoD) because he has no where to hide from Fox stuff, and is generally easy to just combo on, or if you don't care about stale moves, waveshine (FoD just crouch under a platform and he's lost most of his quick approach ability. Utilt destroys, upsmash beats nair if properly timed). Falcon wants DL or BF. Don't jump at him on a platform if you don't have a good idea of what he's doing unless you're going to dip right afterward.

Marth. If the Marth can chaingrab you obviously wouldn't want to take him to FD, but even with the CG Fox honestly has a better time there than most people say. If you can land multiple uairs relatively consistently, and just catch his landing safely after you can't, bad things happen to him. On Yoshi's, Pokemon, and even BF, Marth can abuse you being on a platform relatively easily if you can't get your shield up or move. BF makes recovering as either character a little harder, but you can kind of just beat most Marth's staying grounded looking for grabs regardless of stage. Marth is going to try to keep you out with a lot of non-grab moves most of the time anyway, like pretty much whenever he jumps, so you can just shield. Marth generally doesn't like DL, but honestly, the extra room makes it harder for you to move him to the corner and exploit how fragile he is, and gives him more room to work with to make things go his way. He's also going to be much less temped to throw out aerials when they won't cover the ground and platforms.

Most people wouldn't want to take Peach to FD as a spacie, buy you can kind of completely outmaneuver her into waveshine usmash, so it's not the worst thing. Being able to ride the wall can also make edgeguarding a little harder. Still, you want to be able to recover to multiple end locations so it's harder for her to cover all options. If you're more dependent on comboing into a KO move, don't take floaties to DL unless you actually intend to laser them to bair percent or hit them offstage over and over. Regardless, it's harder for them to "randomly" gimp you there than other stages, and you don't need to look for gimps vs them, nor should you necessarily. Peach and Puff dislike Pokemon and Yoshi's generally, and both tend to like FoD. Both small stages, but the blast zones are very different. Puff hates FD, unlike Peach.

Mario Bros are kind of whatever. Luigi shouldn't like BF because of missile potentially going under the stage, and otherwise his recovery becoming more predictable, both tend to like DL, and are capable of closing distance on you if you want to laser camp, but you can also just bair them over and over if they aren't spacing out its range or trying to have their hitboxes come in at angles that would beat bair, but be unsafe vs other things and tend to whiff if you did nothing. You might KO early on Yoshi's but it's an easy stage for Mario up-b Walljump, and Luigi's ledgedash, or really wavedash in general, covers a lot of the stage.

Fox is a mirror match, just do what you're comfortable with, and if you don't intend to or know how to chain grab, do yourself a favor and don't pick FD.

Top Bottom