• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have a theory about perfect pivoting

Sweet Genius

Smash Rookie
Okay so all you know about perfect pivoting, the new so called "wave dash"
(If not click the spoiler)

Well i have a theory. This was intentionally put into the game and i'm pretty sure it wont get patched.
Now stay with me here, you may be asking "Well how do you know this?"

Here's why. You'll notice the Jiggly puff has the shortest perfect pivot. Why? Because of rest! There's no reason that Jiggly puff would not have a longer one as a light character other than to nerf a possibly OP tactic, (Perfect Pivot to rest)

It makes sense to me, then again i dont know everything so feel free to prove this wrong, because I honestly don't want to waste time learning something that will get patched eventually, but im going to go ahead and assume it wont.

NickLeo

Smash Apprentice
The reason why jiggs' pivot length is so short is not because the implementation of rest but because of her slow dash speed combined with her decent friction while grounded. Characters that are faster, such as sonic and falcon have further pivot distances due to their dash speed while characters such as weegee have a greater pivot distance due to a lack of grounded friction.
This mechanic was not put in intentionally and could potentially be patched if it proves to make a significant difference. Sakurai tends to not like any truly game-changing techniques that are not available to the casual players.

NickLeo

Smash Apprentice
it was a decent theory though lol
If the tech doesn't catch on too much or isn't as ground-breaking as wavedashing was, then they likely won't bother to alter game mechanics just to remove it
So I'd say its safe to practice for now because if it is going to be removed, it should at least be around for a while.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I like to have the tech handy just in case I wanna do a Perfect Pivot Fmash or Dsmash with Marth.

I don't use it for more than that though, usually.

I also do like how not all characters have the same length of perfect pivoting, really adds some personality to the tech, if that makes any sense.

Last edited:

gameplayzero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroBlaze
Its been in previous smash games so unless Sakurai is crazy (more crazy than usual I mean), he won't patch it.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
Okay so all you know about perfect pivoting, the new so called "wave dash"
(If not click the spoiler)

Well i have a theory. This was intentionally put into the game and i'm pretty sure it wont get patched.
Now stay with me here, you may be asking "Well how do you know this?"

Here's why. You'll notice the Jiggly puff has the shortest perfect pivot. Why? Because of rest! There's no reason that Jiggly puff would not have a longer one as a light character other than to nerf a possibly OP tactic, (Perfect Pivot to rest)

It makes sense to me, then again i dont know everything so feel free to prove this wrong, because I honestly don't want to waste time learning something that will get patched eventually, but im going to go ahead and assume it wont.
I agree that nintendo was probably aware of the this. But your reasoning is a stretch.

demonhacker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Restive
I can't imagine it was intentionally made for a puff rest. I just think its that way due to her dash speed.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Here's why it works:
-Dash dancing is intended to be in Smash 4. Your dash is cancelled into another dash by pressing in the other direction quickly.
-If you flick your joystick in order to turn around, you will not dash.
-Perfect pivoting just combines these two. Rather than cancelling dash into another dash, by flicking you just turn around.

StevoPhilo

Smash Rookie
Perfect pivoting won't be patched due to them having to recode the dash mechanics in general. Now I doubt perfect pivoting is something that will be used OFTEN. I would say it's main use would be just for mix-ups. (confusion)

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I was under the impression that smash 4's dash dancing was limited to vibrating in place, like it was in brawl
Maybe you're referring to a foxtrot?
No, I mean dash dancing and yes, it is limited to moving in place. However, you slide with perfect pivoting because simply turning around does not cancel momentum like dashing does.

Top Bottom