• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I hate Ness's grab x.x

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Yo-yo is just as awesome now IMHO. Not as strong as 64, but the charge is too wonderful. People always walk into it, I mean OFTEN, and it blocks bombs, needles,charge shots, PK Fire, and a lot of other things!

Charge it against shields and invincibility moves (like Pokemon swap and Transform) and you WILL hit them. Useful on people on the edge too.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I tend to abuse the nigh-set knock back of his F-Throw by chance I grab at low percents and it usually is enough to toss the opponent off the stage. Follow up with a Dair and you just got yourself a kill at under 30%.

menofuntall

Smash Cadet
I tend to abuse the nigh-set knock back of his F-Throw by chance I grab at low percents and it usually is enough to toss the opponent off the stage. Follow up with a Dair and you just got yourself a kill at under 30%.
Eh, doesn't seem to work with me. It throws them too high up, and since they usually don't want to get smacked back again, they tend double jump over you, so that Ness can't jump out and Dair their face in.

eHerbieInReverse

Smash Apprentice
Eh, doesn't seem to work with me. It throws them too high up, and since they usually don't want to get smacked back again, they tend double jump over you, so that Ness can't jump out and Dair their face in.

A rising Dair with Ness's awesome new Double Jump usually fixes that problem. But, if they play against a Ness often, they usually expect it. And that's when you start throwing out Reverse PKT2's. :D

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Is it just me, or does his dash grab actually seem pretty good since he slides so far forward?
It seems longer than the dash grabs of quite a few characters from what I've seen.

turbogilman

Smash Journeyman
it is a really short grab, but the ground speed that ness has, and the great aerials he has that are used for spacing set him up for good grab situations.

fair, ftilt, watch your opponent do something silly, grab him, dthrow, fair, nair, grab punish...etc

and the dash grab combined with pivot grabbing... man the possibilties are endless

^earthbound360, your sig says it all ness it top tier, and i don't deny it

Gindler

Smash Champion
Sure does seem like it. He either has a long reach during the dash grab or he gets a speed boost (psychic powers?) right before he grabs

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
He slides so far that sometimes when you grab too late, he dashes right past the opponent!
Happens to me all the fuxin time.

yeah spam dash grab it has insane range.

Also in brawl Ness "holds" his opponents after he grabs them with psychic powers. Just like in 64 :chuckle:

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
What he means is that Ness does not hold exactly with his hands. I guess he thinks Ness is holding the opponent with Psychic powers because Ness' hands can be seen vibrating. So i guess its possible to think that's what it is.

turbogilman

Smash Journeyman
ness's slide grab gave me huge problems for a while, i always went past my opponent or grabbed before i started to run and came up short. either way learning the distance on his dash grab is so important, one of the most important skills in learning him, that and his upB(for spamming, saving, and killing)

^ref i think EB360 is asking about the speed boost that gindler is hinting at in his post, but i sorta know what he means, but i think it is just the distance that he travels is insane, but i don't know too much tech. stuff about it, i just grab people with it, haha

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
turbogilman, the speed boost in the grab is a good thing. I don't miss very often and get punished for it, but the pros to this boost certainly outweigh the cons.

It probably just takes a little getting used to since most characters dont move that far.

turbogilman

Smash Journeyman
earthbound360 i know the speed boost is a good thing, i almost never miss it, but when i played him at first it was a lot different than in melee. man i mained ness in melee forever and i'm so glad now... cause Ness is soooooo much better, he's just insane now.

ness is my second hero in smash, he's so sick

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
Yea when i first got the game i used to think his grab was too awkward becuase i would overshoot too much. Once you get used to its range and speed, it's wayyyy better than most peoples dash grabs. i think its actually one of the best in the game.

p.s. off topic but Earthbound 360 i tried to send u a messege but your box is too full! i want to play u a match if you live on west or mid coast. i've played simna and nonnessnoproblem and those matches went real well. also if u h8 ness dittos i 2nd lucario :)

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
I only wish they had switched Ness's forward and back throws. The huge slide he does when he dash grabs would be even better if the forward throw was the KO move.

GhosTim14

Smash Cadet
I only wish they had switched Ness's forward and back throws. The huge slide he does when he dash grabs would be even better if the forward throw was the KO move.
I actually have to disagree with you. I love his slide after grabbing slide + f-throw can take you and the enemy 1/2 or more across FD which makes for easy spiking and comboing over the edge.

SLIVRphantasm

Smash Cadet
ness is my secondary main i think his down throw is the best of his throws then use PK fire. that usally works for me

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Honestly if I land a grab and it's not b-throw kill percent, I just f-throw. People attack me out of lag from d-throw waaay too much and u-throw just sets up for pkt, which I think f-throw does just as well. >_>;

Top Bottom