• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Got Smashed at Play N Trade in Chandler, AZ 9/16/07

pntchandler

Smash Rookie
Hello all,

I'm the owner of the Play N Trade video game store, located in Chandler, AZ. Some of the regulars are already familiar with the location and our fantastic weekly tournaments. We're the largest PNT store in the country, with nearly 3000 sq.ft of gaming goodness.

Back by popular demand. Another Smash:Melee tournament. The last one was a huge success, with over 70 people attending. Since we've been open only a couple of months now, the last tourney was our first attempt at hosting Smash Bros. There were some bumps but overall it went very well. Better than I had hoped.

We've heard many suggestions and are making this next one much better. Thanks, AltF4, for many of these. Here are some improvements.

1. We have 15 LCD HD 1080p monitors at our location. As much as I would like to add 8 more regular TVs to eliminate this LAG, most of you know very well that we just can't do that. Besides, you'll thank me later for my next gen 40K setup. Like how about a Halo 3 midnight release tournament in 3 weeks, or Gears of War 4v4 Execution next week. Both of these are on 8 XBOX 360's. I'm all set for it. HDMI is the way to go. Can't wait for Street Fighter II HD Remix on XBOX Live.
Anyway, back to Smash, all Gamecubes will be hooked up via component cables. I'm a fool. I did not realize that I could use Wii components on Gamecubes. We're all good now.

2. Preregister. Please people. You saw what happened last time. Only 30 out of 74 or so preregistered. Besides, it's cheaper. I'm going to say this again. It's CHEAPER to pre-register. I don't mind making the extra $5 from each of you.

3. TV Utilization. We had 8 TVs going for the last tournament. We're still utilizing the 8 for this one but will also have 4-6 additional TVs for people who want to practive and/or play other games while they wait for their turn. We'll provide some games and systems. Feel free to also bring your own gamecubes and copies of smash or even 64 versions of smach with the consoles.

4. I'll use Tio tournament organizer if someone shows me how to properly configure it for Smash. Although, I think our current software worked just fine.

NOW, on with the show!

This will be a DOUBLES tournament.

Tournament starts at noon (sharp!) Sign up times 11am-11:45am (Pre-register, fools!)
Pre-registation: $10 per person ($20 per team)
At the door: $15 per person ($30 per team) Yes, $30, so why don't you pre-register?

We gave away a Wii for the last one. That's fine for a singles, but I had to get creative for doubles. Pot prizes are just so boring :)

GRAND prize: Any 4 Video Games, not exceeding a total of $240 OR $200 store credit

2nd place: Any 2 Video Games, not exceeding a total of $120 OR $100 store credit

3rd place: $50 store credit

BONUS: The two teams to defeat TAJ and teammate will get $20 store credit per team. (Sorry man, you're just too good. :)

RULES
This is a DOUBLES tournament
4 stock, 8min time limit, double elimination
Random Stages: FD, PS, DL64, BF, YS, FoD
Loser chooses stage, winner changes character and then loser changes character

BANNED
No mod controllers, no turbo or programmed, no stalling. Let's not get into specifics. You've played long enough. These will result in player banned.

www.playntrade.com/chandler
480-726-PLAY

Students! This goes out to ASU, MESA, Collins, etc. If you have any suggestions to get the Play N Trade name out to schools and possibly get involved in events, let us know. We want to be a presence on campus.

pntchandler

Smash Rookie
It's been quiet since the posting. So who's coming? I got a call from Taj today. I guess he's scared everyone away. :)

pntchandler

Smash Rookie
Hello,

I made a mistake in the initial post. I though that I could use the Wii component cables on the Gamecube. Turns out it's the other way around. I can use Gamecube cables on the Wii, so it looks like I'm still out of the Gamecube component cables and those darn things are getting harder to find.

Anyone who is willing to give up their Gamecube component cable will receive free admission to this tournament. Please let me know if you're bringing one. If I can get 8 of these, we can hook up the gamecubes on them. Thanks.

rcc0088

Smash Rookie
Awesome, glad to see that there are active players in the PHX area. I go to ASU, and I will probably be hitting up these tournies as often as I can.

pntchandler

Smash Rookie
If I can get my hands on 8 Wii systems, I would. Unfortunately, no one had traded them into the store yet and I can't always depend on people bringing in theirs.

Top Bottom