• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I got one shotted by my Gordo.

Vukasa

Smash Rookie
I was playing against a Ness. Having just respawned I landed, threw a Gordo at an up angle to have it bounce out in front of me. The Ness and I both started Forward Smashes facing each other. He Smashed the Gordo at me as my Smash came down. When it hit my body, red lightning flashed, and I exploded off the stage at a 45° angle going away from Ness. I honestly don't know what caused it and was so aghast that I hit the start instead of saving the replay. =[ My guess is that the baseball bat amplified the Gordo somewhat, and may it got caught between me and my forward Smash further increasing its power? I really don't know. Has anyone else had a Gordo blow them up at 0%? Dedede is a pretty big fella, so I was pretty shaken.

CaptainChoC

Smash Rookie
The same happened with another Ness, but he was the one being killed, at 15% or like :)

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
If the Ness player was using his F-Smash (the baseball bat), then this is really no surprise. Ness is able to smack certain projectiles with his bat back at his opponents, it can be hard to pull off, but it's quite a great asset for Ness players to learn it.

It can be seen here, and it can be done in every Smash Bros. instalment. The power of the projectile is also amplified, and Gordos hurt on their own, so it's no surprise that it wrecked you.

Vukasa

Smash Rookie
That video is a charged projectile being amplified many times in an entirely different game. We are talking once, and against one of the heaviest and toughest characters to kill off the top, who was at 0%. That video honestly doesn't hold much relevance here. Furthermore, any attack can send Gordos back at Dedede slightly amplified and is not in any way hard to do. Even more so as the Gordos tend to seek out Dedede. As someone whos bit hit by literally hundreds of Gordos, I can tell you that being 1 shotted at 0% is not a common occurrence, or to be "wrecked" by a single one.

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Well, I don't know what to tell you then. Perhaps it's just a terrible glitch, or something worth testing with one of your friends to see if it can be repeated.

That video may be of an entirely different game, but Ness' F-Smash mechanics haven't changed in any Smash Bros. since, and I highly doubt they have changed in this instalment either. The reflected knock-back has always been considerably higher, but whether it should be killing a heavyweight at 0% however, is a completely different matter. It wouldn't be the first time there have been glitches in Smash, Luigi's B-Air on Charizard's Rock Smash (Brawl) leading to Charizard being KO'd and the Turnip / Blaster Black Hole of Death (Melee) to name a few.

Last edited:

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
I have the replay. The kill is at 1:23.
/watch?v=zqB5avoZ1PA
Definitely look like Dedede's Fsmash is constantly connecting with it by the way he freezes. What I wonder though is why it doesn't bounce back to Ness, as his animation doesn't freeze at all.

Wouldn't be so nice if it had nothing to do with Ness his F-smash, but only with Dedede's.

Vukasa

Smash Rookie
My friend and I were able to replicate it. Dedede does not need to be forward smashing for it to occur. You just need to sweet spot the Gordo on the tip of the bat. add the h ttp://makeagif.com/i/qm4nZv It doe 85% and then hits with some amount of multiplicative knockback. Due to Dedede's weight+fall speed, I believe he is also the hardest to kill of the top, thx to someone on this boards experiments with rest.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
My friend and I were able to replicate it. Dedede does not need to be forward smashing for it to occur. You just need to sweet spot the Gordo on the tip of the bat. add the h ttp://makeagif.com/i/qm4nZv It doe 85% and then hits with some amount of multiplicative knockback. Due to Dedede's weight+fall speed, I believe he is also the hardest to kill of the top, thx to someone on this boards experiments with rest.

ftfy.

I noticed the first hit missed, was it just not a tipper, or does the angle at which the Gordo approach Ness matter?

Vukasa

Smash Rookie
The angle doesn't matter, and it was not a tipper. The first time it happened to me was from a high angle toss. ty I was not able to post videos since i didnt have 10 posts yet.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Yea I'm finding reflected and knocked back gordos to hit really hard. I pocketed a gordo as a villager a few days ago and sent it back at D3. He sent out another gordo, which knocked mine (villager's) back into me, killing me at 0%. Definitely a tough matchup for villager.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I get the impression this happens because the Gordo's damage/knockback is partly based on its velocity, and Ness' bat doubles the speed of projectiles it reflects along with the damage.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Villager multiplies damage, too. So the damage increase must have a nice curve to it with the speed increase added.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
This just in.

Do not use your gordos in neutral.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Well they can be great for edge guarding.

MiloniVanili

Smash Apprentice
i actually did this yesterday at a tourney to a dedede. though he wasnt at 0 he was at like 40 iirc but my pit down b reflected the gordo back and killed him. looks like theres something wack about the gordos and reflectors

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Pit's down b acts as an attack as well, correct? Many attacks make gordo shoot across the map. Intentionally so. I think reflectors just reverse the momentum unless actually hit with it. Right?

Top Bottom