• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I got a tournament at work. Need advice on how to win.

houselobos

Smash Rookie
How do you guys prepare for tournaments? I got a Smash Wii U tournament at my job starting next week. First prize is an unlocked Samsung S6 edge+!

I main diddy kong. Competition wise, I have issues with a player who uses King DeeDee Dee, a player who uses Megaman, a player who uses Samus, and a player who uses Pikachu. I can beat those players but of all the players I've faced, they can beat me.

D3 wise, I keep it close to take advantage of his laggy neutral options and pummel him with short hop fairs and nairs. Diddy wise, I use the banana and go for typical grab set ups (grab-->up throw--up air. grab--dthrow-->fair). I struggle when he gets distance on me and bangs me with gordos or I when he edge guards. Also, I have to do mix ups since he plays D3 very intelligent and catches on to patterns quick.

Megaman I just try to get behind him as much as possible and close the distance. When I am away from him is when he goes to town with charged shots, pellets, etc. Also, that damn up air tornado attack.

I do the same with Samus with the exception of I fear samus up air attacks when I am above her and keep the fight close to not give her a chance to charge the shot. Pikachu isn't so bad minus his small size. The player who uses him only forward smashes on the ground, spams lighting, and does lighting strike in the hopes of spiking me. I can count the number of quick attacks he uses during a match on one hand.

Any advice or match up knowledge on these characters would help for sure.

In terms of my skill level I am a beginner but hold the most wins out of anyone at work and people at work think I am "the best" but I do lose from time to time. In terms of knowledge I just roll with the jtails competitive guides on the 3ds and WII U and let the chips fall where they may.

Legit

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1075-1516-8692
Where is this tournament you speak of :D

D3: Spam shorthop fairs and dtilt. Don't go offstage.
Megaman: Stay close, don't let him camp. Don't do anything laggy or you'll eat shoryu at 70 and die.
Samus: Again stay close, nothing she does is really dangerous except charge shot and upb.
Pikachu: Stay grounded, pikachu beats you in the air and offstage. Especially offstage. Pikachu has one of the best offstage toolsets in the game. Because of his size, fairs are probably not good to throw out mindlessly. Dtilt is your best friend here.

tl;dr's there, didn't feel like writing anything lengthy lol

Last edited:

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
I wish my job had Smash Tournaments. Lucky.

For King Dedede the way I play the MU is to just sit back and shoot peanuts because they reflect the gordos back at your opponent and just space with Fair and Banana.

Last edited:
Top Bottom