• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I found a use for aerial shoulder bash cancel

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
So you all probably know what happens when you accidentally hit back during your aerial shoulder bash. You usually suicide.

Well, shortening the shoulder bash can actually be used to grab the ledge without bouncing off. All you have to do is press back right before reaching the ledge. You can even hold back and you will still grab the ledge, where as in any other animation you wouldn't be able to.

This allows Wario to refresh his ledge invincibility faster by dropping off, double jumping, and SB right into the ledge and cancelling by pressing back. It's about as fast as Sheik's shino stall, but with the power of Wario's SB. In my experience, Wario will still hit people before you grab the ledge, even if you attempt to cancel. This keeps you safe from any potential ledge theft, unless your opponent can teleport like Zelda or Mewtwo, since they're completely invincible/intangible.

If you do this fast enough, you can remain invincible throughout the entire refresh.

I don't think this is possible, but maybe my fingers are just slow: see if you can drop off, angle SB upwards, and cancel it to regrab the ledge. If not, it's not that much slower to drop, immediate dj, immediate SB cancel. Beware of accidentally b-reversing your SB if you do this!

Thanks to Zwarm for providing this tip!
http://smashboards.com/threads/i-found-a-use-for-aerial-shoulder-bash-cancel.357546/#post-17047488

Last edited:

Zwarm

Smash Hero
You can also cancel side B using C-stick back instead of pressing back, which removes the risk of B reversing and dying

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
I already use it to sweetspot when recovering and it's so simple, I'm not sure why we haven't applied the same thinking to ledge stall with it sooner. lol

Loving the C-stick input on this.

Last edited:

DirtyRoach

Smash Cadet
I was practicing this earlier and it feels really good, super easy to sweetspot and it catches people trying to dtilt edgeguard me, which is fantastic.

0RLY

That's exactly why I found this tech so amazing! It is super safe and you can even mix up the angles you use your side b at. Still have to watch out for disjointed hit boxes though.

Angry Squirrel

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, here's a question. I'm trying to practice this tech down because it sounds like a super option to throw into your gameplay, but I'm having some trouble with it. The biggest question I've narrowed it down to is: how far should we hop away from the ledge? Unless I'm just that slow, I'm pretty sure Wario needs to be at least a little bit away from the stage to make this work - can't work right on the ledge. (Videos would always be helpful for those of us trying to learn it.)

0RLY

The distance you are from the ledge horizontally is negligible. The deciding factor is when you jump. It's really fast, I have to claw the input to get the jump and SB close enough together. I don't have any way to record, maybe someone else could help.

Top Bottom