• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I don't mean to be that guy but why does PM feel easier?

Spazzy

Smash Apprentice
Whenever I play PM it just feels like every character has more combo potential and is easier to do tech. Maybe it's because I played Melee for about 3 months before PM but is there an actual technical explanation why it feels easier?

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Your Melee experience has nothing to do with anything, especially since this is not Melee. Welcome the world of a way more balanced game. It's not easier to tech either. All timings are the exact same.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Dashing is easier, sheild dropping is easier, Samus' super wavedash is easier... the things that I can think of off the top of my head.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Some things are in fact easier, like what Gohan mentioned. Add short hopping and tilted FSmashes to that as well. I don't think there's anything wrong with PM being easier. Melee's already a crazy tough game to get into and compete against high level players. And PM's got its fair share of harder aspects like later meteor cancel window and no hitstun jump buffer.

Forgot to mention that RAR/dash turn jump makes reaching the ledge +
other pivot wavedash options much more accessible while adding more options in the process.

Last edited:

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
Well there are more gimmicks in this game that are fairly easy to do and be moderately successful with. In addition, any character from melee below the tier of jigglypuff received buffs, so if you play those characters it will be easier to win. I believe that PM's wavedash is slightly easier, but that is just my personal feelings and I have no data to back that up other than my feelings. Additionally, I feel like the short hop has a little more leeway, but again, I have no data to support this.

Spazzy

Smash Apprentice
In addition, any character from melee below the tier of jigglypuff received buffs, so if you play those characters it will be easier to win.
I agree completely. With Zelda's neutral b, if the enemy is close enough they will be sucked into it. Also it seems like G&W has a higher percentage to get a 9 and his 2 is really stronger than the PM devs think.

I enjoy how there are patches still that fix these problems and they do acknowledge it such as the recovery problem. I just hope soon enough it actually becomes a perfect melee

Bleck

Smash Master
I'm pretty convinced that every time this topic pops up it's thinly veiled johns

D

Deleted member

I just hope soon enough it actually becomes a perfect melee
Well then you're going to be disappointed. PM isn't meant to be exactly like Melee. Melee was not a perfect game.

Narpas_sword

seems like G&W has a higher percentage to get a 9
Confirmation Bias.

Judgement Rules:
cant be a 1 or a 2 the first 2 Judgements in a game.
Cant bbe the last 2 numbers you rolled.
1 dot means the next hammer is a odd, 2 dots means it's even.

What that boils down to is GaW players having a better time cutting down the chance to when one comes next.
best case scenario, you can know your next has a 1/3 chance of being a 9.
(roll a3, roll a 5 with 1dot = next number is odd, and not a 3 or 5. means you get a 1, 7 or 9

Narpas_sword

Easier to do is better in my mind.

Id rather 2 fighters going at each other with a reliable arsenal, than weapons that they can't pull off as consistently.
Makes higher level more based on understanding the fight rather than tech skill

Last edited:

Exodo

Smash Ace
in many aspects PM is easier indeed, but i still think you can pull out a wavedash better/easier in melee dont know if its only me.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
The timings for WDs are the same, but a lot of people forget melee doesn't have partial airdodges. If you tilt the stick at all you get the full distance airdodge, meanings it's easier to do full distance wavedashes when moving the stick around a lot in quick succession, such as repeated wavedashes, WDing out of a run repeatedly, wavedashing into a tilt, etc. In PM if you accidentally don't tilt the stick all the way you only get partial momentum from the airdodge and thus a shorter wavedash. Add to that the 1 frame physics delay, which forces you to be airborne for one frame during a perfect WD in PM (in Melee you don't have to go airborne), and they will look smoother in Melee, too. Partial airdodges in PM are good for having better control over AGTs.

Last edited:

2 C H i L L E D

Eternal Hitstun
3DS FC
3956-0619-2163
Project M is easier because the metagame is still in an infant phase. This makes it to easier to win matches. I do agree that bottom level play is easy but top level play isn't. Really in a sense, since nearly every character can combo well it makes the game a bit harder as well. Punishes are ridiculous in this game, putting much more truth in the phrase "Don't Get Hit". Virtually every character is viable and each MU you need knowledge of or you potentially can be wrecked effortlessly. Project M may feel easier but it's harder than Melee. MUs alone make that statement true.

Epic563

Smash Cadet
NNID
lacoot
One thing I noticed is that short hopping is much easier, which I like. I've always had the tendency to mash buttons as hard as possible.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Short hopping is easier because there's a bug in melee's programming that makes the window one frame shorter than it's actually supposed to be, and this was corrected in PM iirc.

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
I agree it's easier. Because combos with non-melee top-tiers are actually good (don't need to play neutral game as long), dashes don't require as much of a distance from the neutral position (saves controller life), short hop jump glitch is fixed (so you have 1 frame bigger window, like Melee was originally intended), and characters have a lot less "useless" moves (so you can use more options). I'd mention Recoveries, but that's soon going to be fixed.

At a second glance, you'll probably notice that dispite making the game easier for lower level play, these are not really bad things. I can definately tell you for sure, Higher level play is still really hard and doesn't have room for much more than a little error.

At least from the perspective of a Luigi main, it's really nice to have more than a couple useful moves, not randomly die from Side B (small stages), and not be basically dead from getting knocked off stage recovery got a much needed buff). There's so much room for Meta Game I've been discovering that will only become publicly appearent over time...I get the impression the same is for majority of the cast considering how new the game is.

Easier or less bullcrap, it really depends on how you look at the half-filled glass.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
A few choice mechanics are easier (shorthopping, dashing backwards). Other than that, most characters are designed very intuitively, and reward smash fundamentals heavily. Moves do what you would expect them to do, serve the purpose they seem like they would, etc. etc.. This allows seasoned veterans to the series pick up characters and do well with them after a short acquaintance period, particularly since there aren't many engine differences to get used to if you're coming from a Melee background.

I am personally capable of playing upwards of 10 characters well, despite only using 2 in tournament. Just happens.

Last edited:
Top Bottom