• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I don't mean any disrespects but Ness stinks

EarthBound08

Smash Apprentice
Ness is helpless!!!! His recovery is just not up to the par, way to0 easy for an easy kill, especially against a good player. How fitting is that his yo yo is actually improved but spike is still so so.
Fail.
Ness recovery is amazing. Ask any Ness mainer, like myself, and they'll all say: Ness is a beast. It takes a different kind of person to main Ness, and you apparently aren't one of them. That's alright, though, because Ness is one of the "weird" Brawlers--characters that are hard to control that are often misconcepted as "poor" (others are Mr. G&W, Ice Climbers, and Yoshi).

NEXT!

EB08

heypancho

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't say his recovery is amazing, but you can get away with DI'ing w/o PKT2 most of the time. Plus his 2nd jump is pretty high.

Though, much of that doesn't matter because Ness will kill you.

Kirby Gotenks absorbed

Smash Apprentice
South Africa, Guateng, next to the street and in t
Ness is helpless!!!! His recovery is just not up to the par, way to0 easy for an easy kill, especially against a good player. How fitting is that his yo yo is actually improved but spike is still so so.
I wouldn't ask someone with a WARIO picture (joke) :), but I main Ness (in melee) and I usual win, My brother just tried him out and he said that he was good.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Except that doesn't prove anything, because Lucas's recovery is just as bad.

Also, Ness's spike is one of the best in the game, outclassed in power only by Ganondorf, and his speed is much MUCH higher than Ganondorf's. His recovery may be pretty bad still, but it's one of the most powerful attacks in the entire game, especially now that it's been buffed in every single way from the tail to the actual attack, to the lag afterwards.

He has excellent range with his fair, and high comboability with his nair, uair, and bair. His PK attacks allows for surprises, especially PK Fire and PK Thunder, and he's deceptively heavy. He might not be top tier, but he is a GREAT character.

RoyalRook

Smash Journeyman
Except that doesn't prove anything, because Lucas's recovery is just as bad.

Also, Ness's spike is one of the best in the game, outclassed in power only by Ganondorf, and his speed is much MUCH higher than Ganondorf's. His recovery may be pretty bad still, but it's one of the most powerful attacks in the entire game, especially now that it's been buffed in every single way from the tail to the actual attack, to the lag afterwards.

He has excellent range with his fair, and high comboability with his nair, uair, and bair. His PK attacks allows for surprises, especially PK Fire and PK Thunder, and he's deceptively heavy. He might not be top tier, but he is a GREAT character.
I love Ness spike, but that can't be his saving grace. I know exactly how annoying his fair can be, I used to main Mewtwo in Melee b/c of that shadow claw thingy, so I basically figured out how to counter it, you just have to be calm. But Ness' recovery is just way too risky, anyone who has played Melee knows how to piss off a good Ness. Let me just put this way: I can comfortable say that there is a fat chance that a Ness could die under 5% damage. And you know it's true.
Finally I think the problem for me is that I never played Mother 1 + 2, so I don't have any love for the kid, otherwise I would at least try to figure him or Lucas out. But I am trying.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Thats shadow claw had like...the worst range of any attack ever. It was almost impossible to approach with, and there's not a chance in hell for Ness to die under 5%. He doesn't have to use PKT to recover until he's almost to 100%, and even then, you can only take out PKT if you're close enough and react fast enough.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
Dear lord you suck. Seriously, do all Wario lovers have to be ***** like the fatass himself?
Ness>>>>>>>>Wario>>>>>>You.

EarthBound08

Smash Apprentice
I love Ness spike, but that can't be his saving grace. I know exactly how annoying his fair can be, I used to main Mewtwo in Melee b/c of that shadow claw thingy, so I basically figured out how to counter it, you just have to be calm. But Ness' recovery is just way too risky, anyone who has played Melee knows how to piss off a good Ness. Let me just put this way: I can comfortable say that there is a fat chance that a Ness could die under 5% damage. And you know it's true.
Finally I think the problem for me is that I never played Mother 1 + 2, so I don't have any love for the kid, otherwise I would at least try to figure him or Lucas out. But I am trying.
Basically what Ademisk said.
And that's odd because I've never played EarthBound (Ness wasn't in Mother), and I love the kid. Compared to characters from games I actually have played (Toon Link, Samus, Pokemon Trainer, Fox, Mario, etc.), I like him as a character so much more.
Anyway, Ness is amazing, and a snowball has a better chance in Hell than you do of convincing us otherwise.

EB08

ripman3

Smash Journeyman
ness is, to me, a lot better and a lot more fun to play in brawl than he was in melee, and he is FAR from hopeless.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
I still don't like Ness and nothing anyone says can change my mind. He may play better in Brawl but he still sucks imo. I haven't played many Ness users online, but the ones I have played, I can beat with ease.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
That's because you use the gayest Dedede strategy EVER. Rollspam into Waddledee throw repeated across the stage and back. If it weren't for lag, I swear to god, your *** would be grass. Not even kidding.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
That's because you use the gayest Dedede strategy EVER. Rollspam into Waddledee throw repeated across the stage and back. If it weren't for lag, I swear to god, your *** would be grass. Not even kidding.
Let's see...I suppose continuously jumping to do fairs and bairs the whole freakin time isn't gay? Not to mention spamming the P-Gay Thundah! My strategy isn't gay, it's just that you are too predictable. Think out of the box. With or without lag, your strategy is TOO predictable. I always expect you to jump and attempt his air attacks and so I roll and throw you away or put you in a chain grab(you always set yourself up for it). The other times I roll is to dodge your dash attacks and smash attacks. I'm not supposed to stand there and let you pummel me nor am I supposed to please you with any strategy I may have. You can blame lag, but I can guarantee you it would NOT be any different

Ademisk

Smash Champion
I can guarantee you it would, my strategy is predictable, you do the exact same thing every single time, you roll away until you're at the edge of a stage, and then you throw waddle dees. You are almost never not rolling. Let's see exactly what I can't do to your strategy because of lag.

I can't approach in the air because my airdodges are constantly late, I can't approach on ground because I can't powershield, I can't do ANYTHING useful with PK Thunder because it's almost impossible to control through lag, I can't predict your rolls and punish because my attacks always come out late.

On the bright side, I was able to beat your *** with Metakngiht because his Neutral B destroys rolls. Love that thing so much. Unfortunately, Ness doesn't have such a failsafe attack, so fighting a rollspamming Dedede like that under that much lag is nearly impossible.

And you can guarantee all you want, watch me do it.

I guarantee I would win without lag. < -- See? Easy.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
I can guarantee you it would, my strategy is predictable, you do the exact same thing every single time, you roll away until you're at the edge of a stage, and then you throw waddle dees. You are almost never not rolling. Let's see exactly what I can't do to your strategy because of lag.

I can't approach in the air because my airdodges are constantly late, I can't approach on ground because I can't powershield, I can't do ANYTHING useful with PK Thunder because it's almost impossible to control through lag, I can't predict your rolls and punish because my attacks always come out late.

On the bright side, I was able to beat your *** with Metakngiht because his Neutral B destroys rolls. Love that thing so much. Unfortunately, Ness doesn't have such a failsafe attack, so fighting a rollspamming Dedede like that under that much lag is nearly impossible.

And you can guarantee all you want, watch me do it.

I guarantee I would win without lag. < -- See? Easy.
What happened? Not blaming lag for MK. I've already caught on to the MK spam, I'm just learning how to cope with it. But why bring MK into this, since after all it's about Ness. When I roll away and throw Waddle Dees, I create distance between me and you while attempting to do damage at the same time. When you get past that, I just dodge your attack attempts and throw you or use a smash attack or roll away and throw more Dees. You talk as if you don't do the same thing over and over, when in fact you do. Rolling is defense and I use that to the fullest depending on my opponents. I dk about the lag part(I got a gaming router), seeing as on my TV screen it plays as if I were playing an offline match. You can guarantee all you want as well, b/c it wouldn't make much of a difference anyway. I just came here to share my opinion, not to argue. And no, you are not the only Ness player I fight, though there is a rare few.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Yeah, if you're not getting lag at all, then I'm at an insane disadvantage

And I brought up the MK point because it's not THAT I beat you with Metaknight, it's how. Spamming that move never works against anyone, and it only worked because your strategy is, at best, mildly ********. I tried everything Ness can possibly to do beat you, my basic strategy of approaching with midair DIed fairs may have been similiar, but my strategy wildly differed at different parts of the match.

CaptainFalco30

Smash Cadet
Let's just all come together to and agree that online play has very little standing on a player's or character's skill because nintendo's system has way too much lag for many equal fights?

Levitas

the moon
Wait, how did that statement about Ness's recovery being good manage to reach any consensus? It got NERFED from melee to brawl. Not only that, but Lucas's recovery is far and away the better of the two. Even if you disregard the fact that his PKTs don't get eaten by shy guys and balloons (or people), his PKT2 goes between 1.3 and 1.5 times as far. On top of that, Lucas can zap jump for insane vertical recovery, has the rope snake, and has way more aerial control after a pkt2.

Meanwhile, Ness has a recovery that's been nerfed from a bad recovery in melee. The only thing that got better is that he can cover his double jump with a fair now.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Yeah, if you're not getting lag at all, then I'm at an insane disadvantage

And I brought up the MK point because it's not THAT I beat you with Metaknight, it's how. Spamming that move never works against anyone, and it only worked because your strategy is, at best, mildly ********. I tried everything Ness can possibly to do beat you, my basic strategy of approaching with midair DIed fairs may have been similiar, but my strategy wildly differed at different parts of the match.
I've MK spammed just about all my opponents before at some point, so I don't see how it never works. I'm not going to kiss your *** and come here everyday just to ask you if you approve of my strategy. I don't give a rat's *** what you think about it, all I know is that apparently it must be good b/c even against unlaggy opponents, I still win. And no, don't even give me that "Oh you just play against n00bs" BS, b/c these people are pretty good. I came here to share my opinion and I still think Claus would've been a better addition, nothing you can do will change my opinion? OK?

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I don't think Ness's recovery got nerfed at all. Here's why:

When Ness uses PK thunder off the stage, you have about a quarter-second to disrupt him before things get more complicated. PK Thunder now has a MASSIVE tail and moves faster than in Melee. This means that if you want to interrupt the bolt, you need to get out there fast or you'll end up getting shocked by the tail. Either way, if you stuff up at all, you'll be hit head-on with an attack that KOs clean at 60%.

Now with Lucas, yes his recovery is superior but his PKthunder2 isn't nearly as scary. Any character can hope to disrupt it with a strong aerial and if it hits you, just tap DI up a few times and it's hardly a problem.

With Ness though, if you stuff up your spacing, you're a gonner.

nintengod

Smash Apprentice
they say lucas is better this time, but he really isnt, he may be faster, but hes no where near as strong
except for his upsmash

ive been playing online and with lvl 9 cpus against lucas (theyre much harder than normal players actually, its like lvl 15 on melee or something) and so far there are ways around some of ness's shortcomings
spaming pk fire actually owns, and his pk flash is amazing, hit that when theyre trying to recover, i swear it got 2x stronger

his airs ARE annoying, but sometimes his Nair is better than forward, yeah and im loving the yo-yo its a real crowd destroyer

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Stronger doesn't mean better. And Lucas's smash attacjks beat out Ness for power. He also has more disjointed hitboxes.

Lucas has a superior keep-away game, wheras Ness is much more adept at close-range and aerial combat. I still for the life of me can't figure out who's statistically better.

Ness is the more well-rounded one, though. That's for sure.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Ness's PKT2 is horrible for recovery. You can get in the way of it, and....you might die, but you'll kill Ness too, because hitting people shortens his recovery range.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
This thread was posted by a Wario lover
***, no offense to people who like Wario and aren't jack
***** like the fat *** himself
Man, I wish Brawl had a lagless online so I could kick this noobs butt.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
I could send you video of my Ness with your Wii Code, I'll send it to you next time I get some, I'll PM you my Wii code then.
Although we may argue(we're rivals, sorta), listen to him. He plays a really good Ness. Your best bet for tips is this guy all the way. Possibly the best Ness ever, but he's the best Ness I know.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
....Well ****, if you're willing to say that, now I have to respect you too. **** you for making me respect you.

And Video capture cards cost like $45 which I don't really have the money for right now. I plan to get one as soon as I can afford it though.

Top Bottom