• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I could use a little help in applying some advanced tactics to Oli

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
Pretty general stuff, but, I really only use Oli so I'll ask it here.

1. Do you use the c-stick for specials? I almost never use it to smash, and if its of any benefit to Olimar's move set I think I'll change it.

2. I've been practicing the "Fox Trot" (Lame name >.>) with Oli... I can sort of do it I guess. As soon as his foot first touches the ground I dash again and I get into a bit of a pattern, not without some difficulty. However, I thought the point was to be able to do a forward smash right out of this "dash". This doesn't make sense to me, because it seems like the time it takes to do a forward smash from this technique OR to stop from a regular dash to do the same smash seeem to be about the same. Am I doing it wrong? Do you need the c-stick?

3. Third one is more of a comment. I love doing the "running backwards grab" thing. I played someone today who though I could grab them just from them running into the pikmin following behind me. xD Also, running off the ledge and just pushing b-up to grab it from above is amazing for edgeguarding, IMO.

Comments appriciated. :embarrass

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
Hmm.. I have the same questions really. lolz. Well.

1) I perfer.. hmm. C-stick 4 smashes. This iz 100% preference tho. I admit I JUS started whistle armoring like 2 days ago and I find it EXTREMLY effective in some cases and that mayb reason alone 2 B-Stick. Can u wavebounce wit Olimar? I dun think so.. mmm. I have no clue.. And my wii is packed, moving 2morow =[.

2) Some1 answer him.. lolz. Ive been wavedashing my whole life and neva took time 2 Fox trot so Idk.

3) Pretty much agreed all t3h way.

pockyD

Smash Legend
1) i highly recommend against switching the cstick controls, because olimar can get good milage out of retreating aerials

2) there IS no difference; the fox trot is merely using the shortest dash possible, and the ending time is the same... the difference is that if you foxtrot forward 3x, there are three different points at which you could use your smash (because you will already be stopping by design), whereas if you full dash across the stage, you have committed to only smashing at the very end

basically, the foxtrot just gives you options/unpredictability, not speed (in fact, you "move" slower overall for most chars)

templar rage

Smash Cadet
I would keep the C-Stick as normal attacks. Olimar shines with his fast aerials and smashes, and the C-Stick adds a little more. The only reason I could thing of for changing is faster Whistle Armor, but thats 1 attack vs 7.

I don't Fox Trot very much, if at all, so I can't help you there.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
1) I prefer C-Stick smashes personally, the wave bouncing or whatever weird name its being called now can be done without changing the c-stick, search for the other olimar c-stick thread, i've got to get back to studying quickly or i would. Its basically just a switched side B move, the way you'd reverse falcon punch, but your doing a side b move and the window is fairly small, you'll get the timing if you feel it helps that much. Personally though as for wavebouncing changing controls isn't worth it, oli normally only SHFF latch, so while you can use it for spacing, if your getting that much use out of it your probably giving up too much time/space, and should work on your spacing.

2) Oli shouldn't use fox trot much honestly. I mean sure maybe in some very odd situation you may be happy to have the choice of doing it, but I've found that olimar fights best when fully committing to a play style. What i mean by this is hanging out in the extremes of the spectrum, either camping or pressuring. Obviously varying your play style in match is vital, but olimar's move set is most fluid and best used not by playing spacing games fox trotting, but by either making proficient use out of his superior range (camping outside either players hit range and waiting for the other player to approach, punishing him because he'll be in your range [not latch, but actual knock back range] before your in his) or by connecting/chasing with quick attacks applying constant pressure (FAirs tilts jabs dsmash UpB). Foxtrot is more for characters who have to work their way in on an opponent IMO, obviously just running in and attacking isn't going to work too consistantly, so by fox trotting you open up the option of just stopping, making the question of when your going to come in variable, in hopes of either lulling your opponent and getting to just run in and attack, or provoking an attack when he thinks your gonna come in and then you are able to run in and punish him during the move lag. You could? play this way with olimar, however like i said I don't feel its making effecient use of his move set, and would be overall less effective.

-True

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
I really like to use the C-stick for smashes, too. It's just so...fast! You can spam Olimar's smashes so quickly with the C-stick. I like to charge a forward smash up, release it, and miss my opponent intentionally, then quickly forward smash again with the C-stick. It's so funny because some people are used to charging at their opponents right after dodging a big attack, like a forward smash. However, Olimar's smashes come out SO quickly with the C-stick that blindly charging into him is futile. :) Another example of people fighting with a Melee mentality. It just doesn't work in Brawl, especially against Olimar.

Also, using the C-stick for aerial attacks seems more intuitive for me. For example, if I want to short hop and forward-air, I can do it very smoothly with the C-stick because it's very precise. Whereas if I used the normal left stick for aerials, it doesn't feel as tight. It's the same reason why I disabled jumping from tapping the left stick up. It feels tighter and more responsive when I just press a button, like the X and Y buttons, to jump.

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
I really like to use the C-stick for smashes, too. It's just so...fast! You can spam Olimar's smashes so quickly with the C-stick. I like to charge a forward smash up, release it, and miss my opponent intentionally, then quickly forward smash again with the C-stick. It's so funny because some people are used to charging at their opponents right after dodging a big attack, like a forward smash. However, Olimar's smashes come out SO quickly with the C-stick that blindly charging into him is futile. :) Another example of people fighting with a Melee mentality. It just doesn't work in Brawl, especially against Olimar.

Also, using the C-stick for aerial attacks seems more intuitive for me. For example, if I want to short hop and forward-air, I can do it very smoothly with the C-stick because it's very precise. Whereas if I used the normal left stick for aerials, it doesn't feel as tight. It's the same reason why I disabled jumping from tapping the left stick up. It feels tighter and more responsive when I just press a button, like the X and Y buttons, to jump.
I totally agree with the last point you made there. Turning off "Tap Jump" and learning to use the x/y button to jump is probably the best decision I've ever made in Smash. SOO much more precise.

So, taking True's comment into consideration, this pivoting/fox trot really isn't that important for Oli... I'm really just looking for a way to step up my game with the Capt. I can beat most of buddies MOST of the time, and any level 9 ALL of the time, and yet I feel like I should be better somehow, like being able to take on 3 lvl 9s at once. I came within about 1 stock the other day of defeating a team of Marth, Metaknight, and Fox; I know other players can do this easily.

I suppose the scrub-y feeling will only go away with more practice, eh? I need to play someone experianced at taking down Olimars...
:dizzy:

Fino

Smash Master
Personally though as for wavebouncing changing controls isn't worth it, oli normally only SHFF latch, so while you can use it for spacing, if your getting that much use out of it your probably giving up too much time/space, and should work on your spacing.
Just a quick note to all olimar players.... let's just say SHFFLing just to screw with everyone else :laugh: .

Back to topic however, I found foxtrotting just a waste of time really. There's not much need for an Olimar player to use it.
And C-sticking is just a personal preference. I myself use it occasionally just from habit.

~Fino

Fredd

Smash Apprentice
After changing my c-stick to specials [which I only wanted to use for certain characters], I have found NO use, whatsoever, with using the c-stick as a special for Olimar.

I`m going to have to create a secondary name input just for Olimar . . .

Blaazer07

Smash Rookie
i would discourage trotting because it gives you an opportunity to trip each trot-step, and doesnt boost your speed like it did in melee.

the c-stick for retreating arials is much more useful than the very occasional whistle cancel, especially since you ideally dont want to take the damage

ElSpaniard

Smash Cadet
1. no, and u'll see why in 2

2. once your trot starts to end your going to wanna dash backwards but slam the c-stick forwards, (i think its referred to as a stutter step) but if you want a bit more range then do a double stutter step and dash dance so your facing forwards again then c-stick forwards

3. if it works for you then go 4 it.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I would keep the C-Stick as normal attacks. Olimar shines with his fast aerials and smashes, and the C-Stick adds a little more.
agreed entirely. i use olimar himself as a great combo starter and having regular attacks set to the c-stick makes these attacks faster than normal. personally i find it difficult to use his nuetral air while changing directions w/out the c-stick so that's why i don't use it for specials. plus, in order to use his up-b correctly, using the c-stick and the left stick to use one attack takes away your ability to manuveur through the air while doin so. ( does that make sense?:dizzy: )

i find fox trot useless for olimar because he's small and kinda quick and therefor doesn't have to use it. For the larger characters like ike, ganondorf, and ddd, i'd use it to make their maneuverability a little easier. plus they r already slow.

BlinkyImp

Smash Rookie
Maybe I'm just a noob, but... how can you do a neutral aerial with the c-stick? Additionally, I've never felt that c-sticking aerials is necessary to have full directional control, but then I'm used to not using it.

Also, a more obscure use for b-sticking: use it to place up-b attacks. When I try to attack with up-b using the control stick + b it's very difficult to place myself correctly (esp in the air), plus I often find myself turning around and attacking the wrong way with it (which is why I rarely use up-b as an attack). But, if you decide to go b-stick then this attack could have more utility. That's not to say that I would choose b-stick (I wouldn't). Just trying to add to the conversation.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Maybe I'm just a noob, but... how can you do a neutral aerial with the c-stick? Additionally, I've never felt that c-sticking aerials is necessary to have full directional control, but then I'm used to not using it.

Also, a more obscure use for b-sticking: use it to place up-b attacks. When I try to attack with up-b using the control stick + b it's very difficult to place myself correctly (esp in the air), plus I often find myself turning around and attacking the wrong way with it (which is why I rarely use up-b as an attack). But, if you decide to go b-stick then this attack could have more utility. That's not to say that I would choose b-stick (I wouldn't). Just trying to add to the conversation.
hey, u tilt it diagonally to use n-air. i find it easier to air cancel when using the c-stick for aerials. that's all.

Edit: it might only work if u set the c-stick to ATTACK, cuz that's what i use.

Top Bottom