• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I can't stand 1v1 For Glory

Gordonnie

Smash Rookie
and it's not even the players, its the lag.

I find most of my matches with way too much input lag, I feel like this games netcode can't handle the massive amount of inputs SSB has when you're playing it on a competitive level.

How do the rest of you do it? I'm meeting some rather good players online but I just can't play to my fullest with this lag.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
Your connection might be bad. Lag is generally pretty negligible for me. It flares up for a few seconds every few matches, but that's it. If your game is consistently laggy, then your connection is probably iffy. As I understand it, all SSB communications post-matchmaking are player-to-player, so the issue is entirely dependent on the connections of the players.

Raijinken

Smash Master
My connection has periodic (and somewhat predictable, or rather expected) spikes of packet loss, but on the whole, is extremely bearable. Unfortunately, this indicates that it's most likely your connection (or theirs), rather than Nintendo's netcode.

Typically, I'll play for multiple matches against any opponent unless they have consistent lag, at which point I drop and find a new foe. That can help if it's on their end, but sadly there are no easy solutions to improving it on your end. Unless simply upgrading your internet is an option, all you can do is try to find an ethernet adapter.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
If you're consistently experiencing lag, it is more probably due to your connection. Another possibility would be your opponent's connection. Lag is to be expected over wifi, but if you and your opponents' have decent internet, then lag should for the most part be negligible. <10% of my matches had consistent/unbearable lag, which dropping the other opponent usually solves the problem.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Everyone says that most of their matches feel like the lag is almost non-existent and they're right. It feels non-existent on good connections. Of course there will be even a little lag, but what online game (without GGPO) doesn't? Your issue with lag though I've seen around the forums with many others. If you haven't had any solid matches at all it might be your internet as others have said. If you've had a few solid ones then you might be unlucky and you just get opponents with AOL dial-up.

From my experience you don't need the fastest internet to get solid connections. I've tested matched by streaming at the same time and it doesn't seem to effect the lag at all.

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679
All my matches have been smooth. HOWEVER, there is this constant bit of input lag (maybe 0.1 or 0.2 seconds worth) that just screws up my timing. I have an extremely ambivalent, love-hate relationship with For Glory. It keeps kicking my ass, but I keep coming back for more.

I wish I had more friends in the area :\

GeZ

Smash Lord
M2K has stated that the game feels completely different online, and I'm inclined to agree. That tiny bit of input delay is just no good for Smash.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Even without lag, For Glory is poorly done and gets boring extremely easily. But WITH lag, For Glory is poorly done and gets boring extremely easily except with less of an idea of what you're doing half of the time. You can get some good matches on For Glory, but they're too few and far between, since you need to find an opponent that's close to you, has a good connection, doesn't SD and is of a similar skill level to you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have a great connection yet only get 1/6 matches without any kind of lag. Lag is the bane of For Glory since from what I've gathered most matches have that very small window of lag that messes up timing and causes you to miss dash grabs, punishes, and turns shielding into standing still next to a charged FSmash. The connection is only good 100% of the time if the opponent is in the area.

Besides the lag that ruins most of my matches (I have better matches against CPUs when it comes to enjoyability, even if its not as skillful which is the only reason I try For Glory…), most of the players are horrendous getting in "good hits" from commonly spammed moves (Smashes in general, the Pit's side B) that mostly occur from lag's minuscule interference which takes away from Smashes frame centric gameplay. I shouldn't take ~60% with lag and when it goes away effectively 0->Death them :glare:. Not to mention 2 player teams is counter heavy, Heavyweight FSmash heavy, or power character (ex Ike) + Projectile camper (ex Link) mindlessly throwing out projectiles + lag + no team attack to cover the heavy hitter's slow moves.

Pretty boring experience and sometimes frustrating experience (my best experience shouldn't be hypothesizing that Miis with Light Blue, Green, or Red shirts are automatically bad and having yet to be wrong), so I'm going to try out Smashladder.

Agro_98

Smash Cadet
NNID
leafsfan98
ya if you are having consistent problems than it is probably your connection so you should invest in a LAN adapter. I will experience input lag occasionally, but not significantly bad

D

Deleted member

Have to remember that It's not so much Smash's netcode but that you can't see your opponents speed level via bars unlike games like Street Fighter and etc so you'll more likely than not run into lag due to most people not having internet that's optimal for fighting games. It sucks, but that's how it is. I will note that the LAN adapter I purchased recently has definitely helped tone it down somewhat, but you're still gonna run into it playing people via random.

Zashen

Smash Rookie
everyone is talking about lag, but a lot of people seem to be forgetting we are talking specifically about input lag. I just bought a wii today for smash specifically, and its so fun offline. But the second I jump online its like the pad just stops responding. Im talking .3 - .5s before the character responds.

I understand that my connection (10 down 2 up 12 ping according to speed test) will affect the connection, where the game will slow mo or freeze momentarily, but does this really affect controller input so drastically? Does the Adapter fix slow mo lag or does it help with input lag as well, or does having a wired controller help?

I'm seriously thinking about returning this console just because of the stupid amount of lag. No other online fighting game ive played has done this so drastically.

Ven158

Smash Rookie
Wifi is just terrible for gaming in general. I always thought that was a stupid design for the Wii and Wii U to not have a built in Ethernet port. Either someone at Nintendo is a genius or an asshole. So you'll have a lot of people playing on Wifi as well.
Wired > Wireless for gaming. Wireless is for checking FB or your email.
It also doesn't help that the states have terrible ISPs as well.

Lag kills Fighting Games in general as well. It makes it a completely different game. Marvel 3 was a completely different game online than it was offline.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
You aren't playing smash with the lag because it's impossible to react to certain things that you need to be able to react to with inputs.

KoM

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ReiTsubomi
3DS FC
2638-0679-1408
everyone is talking about lag, but a lot of people seem to be forgetting we are talking specifically about input lag. I just bought a wii today for smash specifically, and its so fun offline. But the second I jump online its like the pad just stops responding. Im talking .3 - .5s before the character responds.

I understand that my connection (10 down 2 up 12 ping according to speed test) will affect the connection, where the game will slow mo or freeze momentarily, but does this really affect controller input so drastically? Does the Adapter fix slow mo lag or does it help with input lag as well, or does having a wired controller help?

I'm seriously thinking about returning this console just because of the stupid amount of lag. No other online fighting game ive played has done this so drastically.
It will help with both types of lag. I typically get none/very very little unless my opponent's net is bad.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
A lot of people say that WiFi is not good for gaming. This is true only if you don't have extremely fast internet. TBH, I am one of the lucky ones who is graced with faster than average internet. My ping is the same wired and on WiFi on many PC game servers due to there being a maximum threshold for ping.

Instead of saying WiFi sucks for gaming, I would say WiFi sucks for gaming on slow internet. Get the Lan adapter if you need it. If you don't need it you may not feel the difference. Just wanted to put that out there.

I am using WiFi and get very steady connections for reference.

Top Bottom