• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I can't short-hop...

Trueshinobi

Smash Rookie
Is there an easy way to learn short-hop? It makes a huge difference in gameplay. I really need to learn it if I want to get good at this game in Glory mode. I also absolutely need it since I'm trying to main Captain Falcon. Any tips?

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Well it depends. If you are using the stick to jump, you gotta literally flick it up. If you are using buttons to jump, you to tap and release the button really quickly. I might be hard at first, but keep practicing and you'll get in no time! :p

D

Deleted member 269706

Jumps are weird in Smash compared to other platformers. In most games the second you press the jump button, the jump animation will start. If you keep holding, generally speaking, the character will jump higher, whereas if you let go of the button mid jump, the character won't reach as high as if the button were to be held down. SMASH IS NOT LIKE THIS. In smash bros, the height of the jump is determined before the player leaves the ground. If the button is held for X amount of frames, the player will go X distance high. If it's held down for Y amount of frames, the player will go Y distance high and so on. You just have to learn how to press and release the jump button as fast as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
I can't short hop reliably either, so don't worry, you aren't the only one :p
I had basically been told the same thing, just keep practicing it, and you will get it. This was a couple of months ago, and I still haven't gotten it. I do find that if I focus my attention specifically towards trying to short hop (at the expense of whatever else may be going on at the time), I do seem to be able to do it more frequently.

You only have a window of a few frames to release the button, and it's not the same for all characters! Some characters are literally twice as easy to short hop with than others. I thought I saw a chart once showing how many frames you have for each character, but maybe that was for a different game in the series.

The good news is, because Smash 4 doesn't have SHFFLing, the short hop is nowhere near as important as it was in melee. Though still an important move, you can get by without it for the most part if you aren't trying to be tournament-level good.

But yea, just keep trying to press it fast. Maybe you'll get faster.

Mau5jones

Smash Rookie
Jumps are weird in Smash compared to other platformers. In most games the second you press the jump button, the jump animation will start. If you keep holding, generally speaking, the character will jump higher, whereas if you let go of the button mid jump, the character won't reach as high as if the button were to be held down. SMASH IS NOT LIKE THIS. In smash bros, the height of the jump is determined before the player leaves the ground. If the button is held for X amount of frames, the player will go X distance high. If it's held down for Y amount of frames, the player will go Y distance high and so on. You just have to learn how to press and release the jump button as fast as possible.
I've always considered Smash the better system too. Well at least more accurate, changing jump height mid jump has always seemed like a cheaper system overall.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I guess the best way to describe it would be to very quickly tap the jump button with the tip of your finger, then slide down to the attack button. It has to be really quick, like, tap and straight away release. What controller are you using?

GreatDave

Smash Cadet
NNID
GreatDave81
Stop using the control stick in order to jump if you do that, deactivate the option (that is good also to perform easily Up tilt)...and then, practice to tap the button veeeeery fastly. Just touch:)

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I can't short hop reliably either, so don't worry, you aren't the only one :p
I had basically been told the same thing, just keep practicing it, and you will get it. This was a couple of months ago, and I still haven't gotten it. I do find that if I focus my attention specifically towards trying to short hop (at the expense of whatever else may be going on at the time), I do seem to be able to do it more frequently.
I remember when I was first learning to short hop, I had the same trouble. I could only short hop when I was focusing on doing just that. In an actual fight, you could forget me short hopping. However, I decided to use training mode. I set it up so that I had to do 10 short hops in a row, and I gradually increased this number. I then changed it to short hopping forwards across the entire stage, and then short hopping backwards across the entire stage.

Eventually, your muscle memory will get it down to a point where you don't even realize you are short hopping. When you transition into battle, it will still be a little difficult, but at least you will start to have the muscle memory and you will find it will be easier and more reliable.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Go into training mode, put the speed on 1.5 It makes it twice as hard to short hop, but when you switch back becomes easier. Also, what controller are you useing?

On my gamepad, jump is set to the right bumber and trigger. I have good control over my right index finger so I put it there.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I have wondered about this as well... seems like no matter what I do I can't do it more than 10% of the time and that is being generous.

Though this was brawl, a friend of mine used the wii + nunchuck and switched the b & C buttons... is that a good idea?

Though I am thinking of switching to the gamecube controller... seems like quite a few people find that the better control scheme but im a newbie at this marginally advanced smash stuff.

It's much easier to do with buttons than with the stick, so for anyone having trouble I'd recommend using buttons.

It's also easier with some characters than with others depending on how many frames their "hunker down" animation is, because you need to press and release the button within that many frames. To short hop, your finger has to be off the button before the character's feet leave the ground.

Last edited:

GreatDave

Smash Cadet
NNID
GreatDave81
Though this was brawl, a friend of mine used the wii + nunchuck and switched the b & C buttons... is that a good idea?

Though I am thinking of switching to the gamecube controller... seems like quite a few people find that the better control scheme but im a newbie at this marginally advanced smash stuff.
Man, I dunno how could your friend use the nunchuk and the Wiimote...it's simply awful for Smash!
If you can, and if you've one, USE GAMECUBE PAD...it's by far the best controller for this game. If you have not, buy one...meanwhile the Wii U Pro Controller is not so bad too, but I could NOT get used to it anyway :laugh:

Last edited:

SphyreYui

Smash Rookie
I just use y to jump and have just practiced to accurate short hop. I believe the correct way is you have to push the button down and before your character leaves the ground you have to release it...i could be wrong on that though.

CatStache

Smash Cadet
NNID
CatStache
This definitely something I struggle with and need to practice more. It's even harder for me to do during a match, because I have to concentrate on more than just short hopping.

Valacar

Smash Cadet
I would like to point out that if you are using a gamecube controller, this may be more difficult.

"Now thats a silly thing to say, why would that matter"

Well, i'll tell you. Alot of people use their gamecube controllers from when they still used their gamecube. The gamecube is old, and the controller is old too, and probably used alot. Those buttons are worn down- alot.

If you're having trouble doing something you know you should be able to do (unless you just need to practice more- then just disreguard this crazy Pikachu's post) then you may want to upgrade to a new controller. Also If you really do play with Tap-Jump, I would highly reccomend you turn that off. Alot of the times it leads to accidental jumping, and its slightly harder to control the "flick" of the thumb than it is the pressing of a button, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Go into training mode, put the speed on 1.5 It makes it twice as hard to short hop, but when you switch back becomes easier. Also, what controller are you useing?

On my gamepad, jump is set to the right bumber and trigger. I have good control over my right index finger so I put it there.
^This guy knows wat he's talkin bout'.

Small Waves

Smash Cadet
Short hops are great and does wonders with characters with strong nairs. I like to do a quick swipe and hit jump and A with my thumb after releasing the stick while dashing. It's a nice thing to learn, especially for dthrows with CF at low percentages.

Shulkamania

Smash Rookie
NNID
thatguy13

I like the 1.5x speed idea it reminds me of some DBZ type training lol hopefully this will get my short hop game on point it's important for the Shulk NAirs.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
I like the 1.5x speed idea it reminds me of some DBZ type training lol hopefully this will get my short hop game on point it's important for the Shulk NAirs.
Haha yea my friends called it the hyperbolic time chamber too:chuckle:. Its hard even for me to do it at that speed but if you can do it at that speed it'll be a great help.

Then once you can do it, you'll struggle in doing it against people because of the pressure. You just have to practice over and over again against real people.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I think when i first played smash i had trouble getting the timing down on short hopping. I always underestimated the timing. Just practice.

Top Bottom