• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I can't go easy on my friends..

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
I've been playing smash Wii U and 3DS with my friends a ton, and one of my friends really wants to go competitive. I've been teaching him all the techskill I know and playing games and giving tips. The problem? He just isn't good. He can't even beat a lvl 8 CPU. He won't lab, and he doesn't read very well. I just can't stoop to his level! Every time I go easy, it seems like I'm not playing. But amp up the difficulty a little, I'm beating him left and right. What should I do?

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Play it casual then, with items, normal stage, just have fun. Why should he play competitively if he wasn't good? Or just give him some time, he will get good day by day.

D

Deleted member

Some people just don't have 'the right stuff' to become a competitive player, I would recommend just playing casually with him, just for fun :)

If your friend really wants to play competitively then that's something that he has to work on, but he shouldn't have to make you go easy on him either.

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
Yeah. He's been making me help him a lot. I've tried to get him to go to places where he can find other players but he is in a really bad spot. Pretty much 0 people he knows plays the game in the area, he has slow internet, and he can't honestly play For Glory.

D

Deleted member

Yeah. He's been making me help him a lot. I've tried to get him to go to places where he can find other players but he is in a really bad spot. Pretty much 0 people he knows plays the game in the area, he has slow internet, and he can't honestly play For Glory.
Again, if he REALLY wants to go pro, he will have to arrange everything himself. He needs to work for it.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Same here not only just area, my country doesn't even have a notable Smash community, there are but not really a big scene.

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
If he is just getting introduced to these concepts, it can take a while for him to get used to it. Just tell him to keep practicing. If you are a good teacher then he will catch on quick.

xthefurry

Smash Cadet
NNID
zerothezoroark
3DS FC
3239-5464-2042
send his nnid/friend code to me and i'll probably be on his level (I can barely beat a lvl 7 XD)

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
send his nnid/friend code to me and i'll probably be on his level (I can barely beat a lvl 7 XD)
Keep in mind that CPUs are not humans, so doing good against a CPU doesn't really say anything on how well you do VS humans.

xthefurry

Smash Cadet
NNID
zerothezoroark
3DS FC
3239-5464-2042
Keep in mind that CPUs are not humans, so doing good against a CPU doesn't really say anything on how well you do VS humans.
I know, its just more probable that we're going to be on the same level

D

Deleted member 269706

Play as a different character that you normally wouldn't like. That will knock you down a few levels and make it a bit easier for him.

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
Yeahh... The problem is he grasps these concepts, but can't get ahold of them. Even character detox only helps him a little.

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
His NNID is Xserti. Don't mention the fact that I made this post, he might get really frustrated. Just tell him you found his account on smashboards and you wanted to play a match with him.

JustBeingZack

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zack66775
I would stick him in training mode and make him show you that he can do certain things. Test him with shield grabs, B-reversals, and short hopping/fast falling. These things helped me a bunch along with watching videos containing competitive play of my main. Many times, simply seeing what a character is capable of will give you a goal to aspire to and help improve your play.

Top Bottom