• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I can't deal with him - almost quitting

roygbiv91

Smash Cadet
Hi there,

people say Little Mac is made for rolling. Over the last months I play Smash quite a bit learning walking into shield is a good option and mixing up approaches.

Anyway i just cant deal with rolling Mac. My friend never goes in roll only and spams smashes. Sometimes i get him with dash Attack or Pivot Grab. All his Smashes have Super Armor and roll is very fast. He also just wants to play Omega so i can't even mix up with BF or SV platforms.

I somehow don't want to surender Smash but i need a sparring partner or help. Can somebody help me to overcome this? I'm almost crying when i'm not smashing my controller to the forehead.

Last edited:

Braydon

Smash Ace
What character are you playing?

Anyway generally mac is weak to gimps, if you can get him off the stage it's fairly easy to stop his recovery.

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
Hi there,

people say Little Mac is made for rolling. Over the last months I play Smash quite a bit learning walking into shield is a good option and mixing up approaches.

Anyway i just cant deal with rolling Mac. My friend never goes in roll only and spams smashes. Sometimes i get him with dash Attack or Pivot Grab. All his Smashes have Super Armor and roll is very fast. He also just wants to play Omega so i can't even mix up with BF or SV platforms.

I somehow don't want to surender Smash but i need a sparring partner or help. Can somebody help me to overcome this? I'm almost crying when i'm not smashing my controller to the forehead.
some characters have a move that cover rolls, like captain falcons falcon kick. if they roll either way they still get hit.

Braydon

Smash Ace
Sheik, Rob, Palutena,Shulk and Fox
Those characters should all have a fairly easy time with mac. Rob is probably the easiest one against mac.

Mac has a terrible aerial game, and his laser helps him zone out mac.

You do know to combo rob's Dthrow into Uair? It deals 20% and can kill, and it gets mac airborne allowing easy follow ups.

SuperTorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperTorn
Sheik - Punish the rolls with fully charged needles and camp to bait him
Rob - Punish the rolls with either his side B, down B or standard B
Palutena - Might be a bit tricky and I don't have some good knowledge of her but I think baiting him with standard B might do the trick, alternatively since you say he just rolls and smashes, trying mixing in some counters (down B)
Shulk - Same as both basically, not too much on Shulk but I think mixing in the counter might help, also keep in mind Shield mode keeps Shulk from getting KO'd in above 100% percentages, Little Mac's favorite percentage.
Fox - My favorite, as a Fox main I can tell you Fox struggles a bit vs LM so here's what I can give you:
I always punish rolls with Fox's slide attack, it never fails. It's quick, not too punishable and if landed, gives juggle potential so what you mainly wanna do hear is read the rolls and lead him into some N-airs or U-airs for quick damage build up. Short hop side B also works well with Little Mac if you're confident to get a read on the roll. My favorite part about Fox vs Little Mac is Fox's air game vs Little Mac's air game, you know there's no way in hell Little Mac is going to get back on stage when he's not on ground, meaning Little Mac has little to no chance in recovering if you gimp him with any of Fox's aerials.

Regardless, don't get stressed about a bump on the road. I've had my slumps but I always keep in mind it's a great game to play, don't quit just because you can't win one. Improve and make him be the one asking for help on a forum. :ness:

Edit: just incase, remember Fox's lasers are awesome!

Last edited:

Braydon

Smash Ace
@ SuperTorn SuperTorn
Palutena has a few notable things to use against him, her dash has invulnerability frames that help her beat out his attacks, she has a counter, projectiles, teleport makes for a fairly safe recovery, and her air game isn't bad.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
A fast character like Sheik should be able to shield Smash Attacks and then dash grab before Mac can roll or Jab.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
User was warned for this post
Don't play Little Mac players. Problem solved.

MarkedRaptor

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0233-0881-8840
Switch FC
SW-4669-5955-8279
This heavily depends on what kind of Little Mac player he is. Is he the type who constantly throws out smash attacks with no real plan? Is he the type of player who is cautious? Does he make reads against you?

A Little Mac who throws out smash attacks all the time are very weak to run up shield/punish. Or they are weak to jump Air-N into combo(since you go over their randomly spammed down smashes and forward smashes).

If he's cautious, he will play a punish game for you throwing out unsafe moves. In this situation you need to not only throw out safe moves, but play very aggressively with your grabs. Since he will try to block to punish you grab him.

This mostly comes down to what HE plays like. Once that is evaluated you can take it from there.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Hi there,

Does your friend ever let you pick a stage?

WaffleSenpai

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3179-6596-3895
with all of those characters you can just charge down smash when hes rolling past you and hit him when his roll finishes

Super Bowser Bros.

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheDonGero
3DS FC
4983-5128-3072
Timing Little mac's rolls is pivotal in ruining him. As a mac main myself, I know most of the time what an opponent can do to me to ruin me that I can't help. Getting the battle to move toward the edge is one strategy I'd suggest. Some of little Mac's moves have trouble on the edge and if you can grab him and back or front throw you can get an early death on him. I'd suggest using sheik for this. Get him off the edge and use your F-air to knock him off far. Make sure to account for counters and air dodges. Many sheiks have made me adjust because of this ability. In general keep the battle in the air. Don't linger on the ground much.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I'm in the same boat, but I use Rosalina, and she can die very early. Any tips for her against Little Mac?

The same guy has beaten me three times with Little Mac in the past few tournaments I've been too.

He changes how he plays, sometimes he will be very offensive, then switches to being very defensive.

Rosalina has a poor throw game against him. It usually puts him in the optimal position to mix up his recovery.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Also a sparring partner too!

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
I'm in the same boat, but I use Rosalina, and she can die very early. Any tips for her against Little Mac?

The same guy has beaten me three times with Little Mac in the past few tournaments I've been too.

He changes how he plays, sometimes he will be very offensive, then switches to being very defensive.

Rosalina has a poor throw game against him. It usually puts him in the optimal position to mix up his recovery.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Also a sparring partner too!
i main mac and i can spar with you if you want...i need to practice against rosa anyway

NeoRed

Smash Cadet
That was painful to read. It's basically dealing with noobs. Just read the rolls. 99% of noobs roll to the side when their back is next to the edge of the stage.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
That was painful to read. It's basically dealing with noobs. Just read the rolls. 99% of noobs roll to the side when their back is next to the edge of the stage.
This. Just... this.

Corner him, and charge a reverse side smash. He'll probably roll into it.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
I need to revive this post; please help! Ever since launch I've struggled against Little Mac (and fast characters in general), but the Macs always take it upon themselves to mock me when they win, which leads to me playing worse, which only makes their wins even more perfect. As far as I'm concerned, he has no weaknesses, except to projectiles. The problem is, as Robin, my projectiles take an eternity to prepare/throw out, so that to the average Mac, I may as well be moving in slow motion, even when I mix it up. And before you say "read his roll and throw him off the stage," the Macs I face rarely roll, and know exactly what they're doing. There's simply no way to hit/grab them at all. The few Macs I have thrown off stage, I've been able to gimp pretty well using Neutral-Air and Elwind, but that's all I can manage.

I also cannot practice offline because none of my friends play Smash and I have no local community. Since I'm from the UK, Anthers is hard to set up matches on, and the few I've played have had as toxic players as those on For Glory itself, so For Glory is all I've got to practice with.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I need to revive this post; please help! Ever since launch I've struggled against Little Mac (and fast characters in general), but the Macs always take it upon themselves to mock me when they win, which leads to me playing worse, which only makes their wins even more perfect. As far as I'm concerned, he has no weaknesses, except to projectiles. The problem is, as Robin, my projectiles take an eternity to prepare/throw out, so that to the average Mac, I may as well be moving in slow motion, even when I mix it up. And before you say "read his roll and throw him off the stage," the Macs I face rarely roll, and know exactly what they're doing. There's simply no way to hit/grab them at all. The few Macs I have thrown off stage, I've been able to gimp pretty well using Neutral-Air and Elwind, but that's all I can manage.

I also cannot practice offline because none of my friends play Smash and I have no local community. Since I'm from the UK, Anthers is hard to set up matches on, and the few I've played have had as toxic players as those on For Glory itself, so For Glory is all I've got to practice with.
Robin's NAir basically murders Mac off-stage if you get him there. It's incredibly easy to gimp with.

Top Bottom