• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I cant access the bios

polok

Smash Rookie
i have an old computer downstairs which my parents use, and i want to change a few things in the bios.

my problem is, the ps2 keyboard only starts working after its too late to access the bios.

i dont know if im explaining this well but at a certain point windows makes the keyboard active. but i need it working right at the start to access the bios.

any ideas? im running xp pro

CPU:Intel Pentium D945 Dual Core 3.4 Ghz
RAM:1.5 Gb DDR2 Ram (PC-4200 533 Hhz)[1gb & 512mb]
Hard Drive: Seagate 80 Gb Hard Drive 7200 Rpm (Sata)
MoBo:Gigabyte GA-8I945GZME-RH Motherboard
Optical Drive:Liteon LH-18A1P 18x Dual Layer DVD-RW
GPU:Nvidia Geforce 6500 Graphics Card (512mb)
Monitor:Viewsonic VA903B-2 19" LCD Monitor

:)

NG7

Smash Lord
Yea, the keyboard i'm using right now which is my normal one won't kick in until it's too late.

If i ever want to access BIOS i dig up my old keyboard and plug that in.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Jeah...try a new keyboard or try plugging it into a different USB.
Hmm, I think it was a PS2 keyboard, not USB, right?

I guess it's very strange for a PS2 keyboard to not work with whatever computer you can plug it in to. I don't have any idea what could be causing your troubles.

Have you tried plugging your keyboard into all the ps2 ports on your computer? If that doesn't work, and your old computer has USB ports, try using a USB keyboard.

This seems like a very strange problem to me.

GOTM

Smash Champion
usually this never happens, especially with a ps2 keyboard. i would try any other keyboards that you have in your house, and if the problem still occurs, post on some computer forums, not this one, they should know more. but that sounds really weird

and im an IT analyst :psycho:

PohTayToez

Smash Cadet
As mentioned, it's the keyboard, not the computer. Just try and find/borrow a different keyboard, it shouldn't be too hard to find one that works. It will have to be a PS/2 keyboard... older computers don't recognize USB keyboard until well after the OS has loaded.

Also...

Have you tried plugging your keyboard into all the ps2 ports on your computer? If that doesn't work, and your old computer has USB ports, try using a USB keyboard.
NO.

First of all, there are only two PS/2 ports on most computers, and one is strictly for the mouse, the other strictly for the keyboard. If you try and plug on into the other, you will stand a chance of destroying the motherboard... and on an older computer I would call it a very good chance. Even if this wasn't the case, the keyboard works shortly after boot, so the port would not be the problem.

I'm not trying to flame, only pointing out the facts.

Jammer

Smash Lord
I guess I thought it would be good to try using other ports because I thought the BIOS would only recognize keyboards on a specific port (and the OS would catch the rest of the ports later).

Alright, it looks like I don't know really know what PS/2 ports are. Thanks for correcting me, PohTayToez, and I hope he didn't destroy his motherboard...

PohTayToez

Smash Cadet
not very likely honestly.
It doesn't matter how likely it is, it stands a chance of frying the computer, so it's probably not a great idea. One could argue that if you play Russian roulette, it no very likely that you will die, but why risk it? There is nothing to be gained... aside from a few laptops I've seen with only one PS/2 port, the mouse will not work in the keyboard port, and the keyboard will not work in the mouse port.

Top Bottom