• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I can’t improve at smash

BananaJam

Smash Rookie
I’ve been a die hard smash fan since brawl but I’m at the point where I’m too “good” to fight against my friends but too awful to win against anyone else. I haven’t been able to find a main and no guides online have helped either. I’ve consistently lost matches and I really want to improve but nothing I do seems to work. Whenever I go online, I end up unknowingly spamming moves, not moving when I really should be, and letting my guard down. I fight a lot against lv. 9 cpus but I think that me fighting bots instead of real people hinders my ability to play. I really want to enjoy ultimate but I feel like I can’t really do so if I get steamrolled every time I go online. Could someone help me pick a main and/or teach me a couple things?

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Online is not good for improvement because it's a different meta. It's too laggy so it rewards reads instead of inputting moves on reaction. Do you have a local scene ?(tournaments, weeklies, etc)
What are your mains in other fighting games?
What archetype do you gravitate towards? (Zoners, grapplers, glass cannons, etc)
Who did you main on the previous smash games and why?

BananaJam

Smash Rookie
Online is not good for improvement because it's a different meta. It's too laggy so it rewards reads instead of inputting moves on reaction. Do you have a local scene ?(tournaments, weeklies, etc)
What are your mains in other fighting games?
What archetype do you gravitate towards? (Zoners, grapplers, glass cannons, etc)
Who did you main on the previous smash games and why?
There’s no tournaments anywhere near me so that sucks. Back in smash 4 I mained Ryu and at the beginning of ultimate I enjoyed playing as Pichu and Piranha Plant but now they don’t feel the same. I kinda want to look into maining Joker but the community seems to despise him and I don’t want to be “that guy”. I’m also starting to like Toon Link a bit. I tend to lean towards speedy, rush down characters with quick combos and good damage in lots of fighting games and glass cannons are also my style. I liked ryu a lot solely for his combo game and to me at least, he felt really quick and strong compared to other characters. I also mained Captain Falcon in smash 4 for a bit just for speed and combos.

GhostM

Phantom
I kinda want to look into maining Joker but the community seems to despise him and I don’t want to be “that guy”
Honestly go for it, you shouldn’t let the voice of the community hinder who you want to play as. People gave slack to Hbox because he mained Puff in Melee, but he is currently ranked as the best player in Melee as Jigglypuff. The only reason why people dislike Joker is because MKLeo won evo fair and square, and he was the only Joker to advance far enough in his position. People saying that MKLeo was carried by Joker honestly complain about every character once a person wins a major tournament or evo with them, and guess what? MKLeo is the best Ultimate player.

BananaJam

Smash Rookie
Honestly go for it, you shouldn’t let the voice of the community hinder who you want to play as. People gave slack to Hbox because he mained Puff in Melee, but he is currently ranked as the best player in Melee as Jigglypuff. The only reason why people dislike Joker is because MKLeo won evo fair and square, and he was the only Joker to advance far enough in his position. People saying that MKLeo was carried by Joker honestly complain about every character once a person wins a major tournament or evo with them, and guess what? MKLeo is the best Ultimate player.
I mean that does make sense. I think Joker’s sick as hell so I think I will try to main him. Thanks man!

Top Bottom