• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS I am conflicted between Smash 3ds and FA:Awakening right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnthebonfire

Smash Rookie
This Fall i was about to buy 2 games for the 3ds. Smash bros for 3ds and one of the 2 Pokemon games but some recent decisions that have been made for this games, along with having all content revealed make me doubt in the game. I will make a Pros and Cons forSmash and FE and i want your help and opinions to help me make a decision.

Smash bros 3ds
Pros:
-It is Smash bros. Of course it will be a great game because of it.
-Replayability.: This game is all about replayability and online will make the game stay fresh and exciting
-Portable Smash: I am using the bus a lot and it is a 2 hour distance i will have to make 3 or 4 times a week so this game would be a great companion due to it not getting boring.

Cons:
-The controlls: I am playing the demo and feel really uncomfortable with the circle pad. I try not to press it hard and it sometimes doesnt do smash attacks because of it. My 3ds in only 7 months old and i dont want to risk damage or wear so quickly.
-No Smash Run online: This was the biggest hype for me. A mode where i compete with others to gain power ups and fight all kinds of enemies from Nintendo games. Obviously the developers think everyone carries a 3ds outside Japan and form circles in the middle of the street to play Smash Run. 2 of my friends have a 3ds but neither plans on getting Smash any time soon + they live in a far away city.
-The game content: It seems to me they didnt really tried to put effort into the game. It is 2.1 GB yet they had problems implementing more songs per stage. But they contradicted themselves with the music library where there are dozens of songs you can listen to that are not available on stages. Also series like DK Metroid and Star Fox got reused stages that didnt age quite well and you can see it, limiting the choices of good stages which seem slim if you are not a fan of scrolling stages, stages with terrible hazzards that distrupt the game or boring stages like Pictochat, Flat Zone and Warioware(sorry if i offend someone's favourite stage)

Fire Emblem:Awakening
Pros:
-It is a strategy game: I personally love them. I played all Wars games that came out on the Gba and beyond and both games besides the story have the same mechanics kinda(Wars having units countering other units and FE having the Weapon triangle) and also how the attention to detail changes from the overworld map(pixelated small units) to the actual conclusion of the fight(higher detailed characters). The new FE game is praised by everyone who owns it and from the demo i tried i liked it.
-Replayability: This can be arguable but after beating the game on a medium difficulty to get a feel of the game and story it is nice to try and beat the game on a challenging difficulty with units set to vanish forever after being defeated adds more strategy and excitement. The game also has Dlc so it can add more gameplay hours

Cons:

Havent seen the full game in action yet so i cant really say waht is bad in this game you tell me

I am personally leaning toward Fire Emblem.I like games with a good story, the cutscenes look very beatifull, less button mashing required that would probably damage my console. As a university student much money is hard to come by i worked quite a bit this summer and want a portion of my money to be spent on something i would enjoy.

Sorry for the long post i hope someone will take the time and give me some opionions. I really want Smash Bros but i fell disappointed by the lack of some features(Online smash run mainly grrrr) and the fact that damage to the controlls will be hard to replace in opposition to the Wii U just buying a new controller.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
You won't damage your 3DS unless you are man handling it, I have no idea how people are breaking anything playing Smash Bros. I'd been killing the demo and my system is fine. And the controls take some getting used to, but once the Wii U version comes out I personally won't be using the 3DS version all that much.

Fire Emblem Awakening is a fantastic game, but the replay value really depends on you...at harder difficulties you will spend alot of time grinding units to even stand a chance of not getting one shotted by an enemy unit. On the hardest difficulty they just give every enemy Counter (if you are next to them and deal damage you take that much back) so it's a pretty lame "hard mode", that's my opinion.

After beating Fire Emblem on Normal, Easy, and Lunatic, I'm not bothering with Lunatic + it's not worth all the time grinding and all the annoying Counter enemies just so I can say I beat it.

johnthebonfire

Smash Rookie
You won't damage your 3DS unless you are man handling it, I have no idea how people are breaking anything playing Smash Bros. I'd been killing the demo and my system is fine. And the controls take some getting used to, but once the Wii U version comes out I personally won't be using the 3DS version all that much.

Fire Emblem Awakening is a fantastic game, but the replay value really depends on you...at harder difficulties you will spend alot of time grinding units to even stand a chance of not getting one shotted by an enemy unit. On the hardest difficulty they just give every enemy Counter (if you are next to them and deal damage you take that much back) so it's a pretty lame "hard mode", that's my opinion.

After beating Fire Emblem on Normal, Easy, and Lunatic, I'm not bothering with Lunatic + it's not worth all the time grinding and all the annoying Counter enemies just so I can say I beat it.
I am also very carefull with my stuff. My Ps1 still works after more than 14 years and the original controller that came with it also works. The thing is my 3ds is still new and it took me quite a while to afford it because i have had other expenses as well. You could say i dont want to risk it. If a d-pad function for movements would have been included i would buy it day 1 but for some reason it is forbidden to have your own way of using the controlls

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I am also very carefull with my stuff. My Ps1 still works after more than 14 years and the original controller that came with it also works. The thing is my 3ds is still new and it took me quite a while to afford it because i have had other expenses as well. You could say i dont want to risk it. If a d-pad function for movements would have been included i would buy it day 1 but for some reason it is forbidden to have your own way of using the controlls
Well Fire Emblem is a great game as I said, just don't expect too much replay value unless you really want to grind for a very long time to get every unit many different skills for the harder modes.

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
Being someone who played both the demo for smash 3ds and completed Fire Emblem Awakening, I can tell you that you will certainly have a good time with the game. However its content, though much more story driven than Smash Bros, will run its course sooner than Smash Bros will in my opinion.

I have about 30 - 35 hours on Fire Emblem now and that's halfway through my second play-through. While it is a good story driven game, Smash Bros will give you more hours for your money I believe, especially with online.
As SmashBro99 pointed out, the replayability of Fire Emblem is rather low, the story doesn't change itself the second time you do play through it and the choices it gives you in the game hardly change the story at all.

I wouldn't worry too much about Smash Run. As many stated before on here, patches will be a very likely thing and with a new mode already added to online for the japanese, I think it will only be a matter of time before Smash Run does get online support.

Also, the stories going around about broken 3DS systems doesn't worry me all that much. I played Kid Icarus Uprising both online and offline for a long time and that game also requires you to flick your controller in the same way Smash Bros requires you to dash or smash, it still works like a charm. (Most of the broken 3DS systems on the pictures don't look well taken care for at all anyway)

Ultimately the choice is up to you but if you only have the budget for one of these two great games, I would suggest Smash Bros 3DS since I do believe you will get most value for your money, in my opinion at least.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
Smash bros 3ds
Pros:
-It is Smash bros. Of course it will be a great game because of it.
-Replayability.: This game is all about replayability and online will make the game stay fresh and exciting
-Portable Smash: I am using the bus a lot and it is a 2 hour distance i will have to make 3 or 4 times a week so this game would be a great companion due to it not getting boring.

Cons:
-The game content: It seems to me they didnt really tried to put effort into the game. It is 2.1 GB yet they had problems implementing more songs per stage. But they contradicted themselves with the music library where there are dozens of songs you can listen to that are not available on stages. Also series like DK Metroid and Star Fox got reused stages that didnt age quite well and you can see it, limiting the choices of good stages which seem slim if you are not a fan of scrolling stages, stages with terrible hazzards that distrupt the game or boring stages like Pictochat, Flat Zone and Warioware(sorry if i offend someone's favourite stage)

Sorry for the long post i hope someone will take the time and give me some opionions. I really want Smash Bros but i fell disappointed by the lack of some features(Online smash run mainly grrrr) and the fact that damage to the controlls will be hard to replace in opposition to the Wii U just buying a new controller.
Everyone whose opinion I care about has said this game seems amazing so I don't see why you'd think it seems like they didn't put effort in. Why would they put in music when they could add stages or characters. Characters >>>>> Stages >>>>>>> Music. Also the game is currently only using about half that amount of memory. Nobody knows where the other half is so who knows. The rest of your complaints are purely subjective and your own opinion.

Though my advice for you is to get awakening if you have a Wii U. Not only will you not be buying it twice but you'll get both games and not have to worry about breaking your 3DS or its controls.

All depends on if you can wait for the extra month or so for the Wii U version.

Last edited:

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Ditch pokemon - they're always the same and not going anywhere.

chrisall76

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chrisall76
3DS FC
2921-9185-8763
Ditch pokemon - they're always the same and not going anywhere.
Yet they do make changes each iteration, just like Smash does.
Only slight problem I had was black to black 2, and even then black/white where the best story-wise.
Anyway, FE: Awakening was a pretty good game, I would recommend it.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Yet they do make changes each iteration, just like Smash does.
Only slight problem I had was black to black 2, and even then black/white where the best story-wise.
Anyway, FE: Awakening was a pretty good game, I would recommend it.
Sure, but Pokemon is a bit more prolific in terms of releases and schedule. I tend to only pick one up every generation or so. I have Y, and it is a decent game - but I find it far from essential - and there will be a new one momentarily and it'll be on the eshop forever.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
They are both incredible games. I've clocked almost 200 hours on FE:A thus far (through two playthroughs) and I'm still going strong. It's also discounted until tomorrow during the Smashing Sale.

Smash Bros. is great, too. The amount of depth, content, and replayability in both games is insane. I've played both, along with Pokemon X, and I'd say go with Smash and Fire Emblem at the moment.

Last edited:

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
I would say go with Smash Bros. Fire Emblem is a great game, but after you beat it a couple times (I'm at about 70 hours) it all it is is grinding. Have you played a Fire Emblem game before? If you're new to the series you will probably love it but if you've played other games than it might be a tad disappointing, as it's not quite as deep as the other games in the series. Also if you're just playing it for the story, I have to warn you that the plot is very basic.

I dunno, my thoughts are just that Smash Bros will take you for longer, has way better multiplayer, and you will have more fun playing it.

Last edited:

Enigma14

Smash Champion
You will not like the middle portion of Fire Emblem. Its empty and there for padding and leveling up your characters. Its sad that the DLC is more challenging than the main story. Thats usually the case though. If you're looking for an RPG to play I'd suggest Mario and Luigi Dream Team. Great story, graphics, music and the hardest boss is actually the FINAL BOSS INSTEAD OF POST STORY BOSSES.

Smash has replayability and can be patched.

Fire Emblem is done with and as someone who stayed up last night to replay it, the only fun thing about imo -after playing the main campaign three times now- are modding the unit's stats and classes. Right now I'm thinking of making Lucina into a mage and see how she plays from there.

TL;DR: Get Smash because FE:A has a disappointing story OR get Dream Team.

Last edited:

CrazyChaos

Smash Cadet
Get Pokemon or Fire Emblem, but not both. Smash Bros. will provide something engaging to play, while the other two are not as engaging and are more relaxed than Smash. In my opinion, having a variety of things to play is best. Unless you really have a problem with Smash's controls, however I think it would not be too hard to get used to them.

Last edited:

Enigma14

Smash Champion
I haven't played X/Y but the game's plot holds your hand until the 3rd gym. After its quite easy to get the next few badges. Theres some post content stuff but not much. Pokemon is more for the meta game than anything.

fearless.leader

Smash Apprentice
Heres my advice, get smash bros and if you still have a ds/gba lying around get one of the gba fire emblem games, they are some of my favorites of all time and should be pretty cheap.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Well, you are on Smashboards, so I'd bet a lot of people are gonna say pick smash bros. for Nintendo 3DS. Then again, I'd do the same thing.

I have FE:A and it really is an amazing game (better then pokemon x to me). There's really no flaws besides FE:A's lunatic mode, a difficulty where the spike is unfairly larger therefore making the game completely change tempting you to buy DLC. Again, that's the only problem, the rest of the game is perfect.

I guess I can't really tell you to get smash especially if I haven't played it nor the demo. Well, it sold 1 million in Japan, so that means it's gotta be something. I'm not really sure if people are having this debate about Melee vs. Smash 4 3DS.

EDIT: Sorry, apperently I didn't post what I meant to say fully. Here's the rest of the post:

For sure, it looks better then brawl.

Overall, that is a hard decision. At least it's not like the fossils in pokemon where you pick one and you can't get the other ever unless you do new game. One game you can get now, the other is sometime later. Smash will probably take more of your time than FE:A, so pick smash. That's all i'm sayin'.

Last edited:

Articablack

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, Fire Emblem Awakening has to be the single greatest RPG I've ever played. Even though you've got all your stock characters with all the cliche motifs, they still surprised me with being somehow unique in their own right.

Still, this may just be the hype talking, but I've been waiting for the new Smash game for years, and I wouldn't pass it up. I'm even going against all my promises about not buying a Wii U for Smash when it finally does arrive on console.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
You've made me realize how rushed smash 3ds seems.
Maybe they left out alot of content like music and cinematic stuff because the download size would be too huge otherwise.
Anyway if you don't have any friends to play with there's really no point to smash bros, but thankfully this one's got online, I'm pretty sure you'll be too consumed with online battles to give a damn about everything else that seems rushed.

Nache

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2277-7668-3861
Fire Emblem it's by far the game I've enjoyed the most in the 3DS so far, got over 200 hours on it. Got the same ammount of time on pokemon but probably about 3/4ths of it was EV and IV training.

I would ditch Pokemon and get Fire Emblem and Smash tbh.

johnthebonfire

Smash Rookie
Well Fire Emblem is a great game as I said, just don't expect too much replay value unless you really want to grind for a very long time to get every unit many different skills for the harder modes.
What do you mean by grind? I have not that much experience with Fire Emblem. I only played the Gba and sacred stones adn when a stage was over you moved on to the next. In Awakeni
This right here.
Might as well do this. I can wait a bit to buy Pokemon since i still play my version X. So it seems im going for Smash and FE :)

johnthebonfire

Smash Rookie
You've made me realize how rushed smash 3ds seems.
Maybe they left out alot of content like music and cinematic stuff because the download size would be too huge otherwise.
Anyway if you don't have any friends to play with there's really no point to smash bros, but thankfully this one's got online, I'm pretty sure you'll be too consumed with online battles to give a damn about everything else that seems rushed.
Haha sorry if i killed your hype somehow but i still have legit reason to feel disappointent about the content :p/ Seems like they rushed the 3ds version in the end so they can focus on the Wii U version where they can be more creative due to no limitations but this still stinks for people like me who only have a 3ds and dont plan to buy a Wii U. But since they gave the opportunity to play Smash i will suck it up and try to be gratefull

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
What do you mean by grind? I have not that much experience with Fire Emblem. I only played the Gba and sacred stones adn when a stage was over you moved on to the next. In Awakeni

Might as well do this. I can wait a bit to buy Pokemon since i still play my version X. So it seems im going for Smash and FE :)
Grind simply means leveling up your team by a lot FYI.

johnthebonfire

Smash Rookie
Grind simply means leveling up your team by a lot FYI.
Yeah i searched a bit and found out that in Awakening you can apparently navigate the map and fight random battles. In the GBA versions the story just continued without letting you decide where to go next. Battle is over, a lot of talk, then the hero moving on to the next stage etc.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Yeah exactly, Sacred Stones also had that chance to lvl up your units but there was a cap, in Awakening you can keep re-classing your characters to get all the skills from all the classes they can use.

That much time grinding wasn't necessary due to Sacred Stones' hard mode not being incredibly ridiculous and tedious, it was hard without being annoying and frustrating. I see Lunatic+ as a waste of time tbh.

That's the only area I feel Awakening fails, otherwise, once again, it's a wonderful game, one of my faves on the 3DS.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Yeah i searched a bit and found out that in Awakening you can apparently navigate the map and fight random battles. In the GBA versions the story just continued without letting you decide where to go next. Battle is over, a lot of talk, then the hero moving on to the next stage etc.
Yeah you can. It's another great part about the game now that you have the option to get some experience before the next chapter begins, from fighting basic enemies to fighting other players via wifi / spotpass. It's great!

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
Pokémon and Smash will give you the most bang for you buck for sure. I have hundreds of hours on Brawl and Melee, and I have 150 hours so far on Pokémon X.

I only have like 70 on Awakening (which is still a lot). I love Awakening, but I'm just saying that I will get more hours of fun out of Smash 4 and the Hoenn remakes than on Awakening.

This also comes down to bias too. We're just gonna sway you one way or the other. It mostly depends on you. ;}

Raijinken

Smash Master
As much as I love Smash, FE is my favorite series, so I must push Awakening. Plus, it's a single-player experience largely, and has a defined end, so once you beat it, you can go on to Smash. Really, though, drop Pokemons, unless you just really need to play a remake over new games.

Last edited:

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
I don't really like Fire Emblem, but that's just my turn-based RPG mind thinking. I'm sure it's a really great game, with a great story, but I just didn't really like the genre. I liked the demo, but thinking about killing tons of monsters like that, over and over, with the game's battle system just isn't my cup of tea.

However, I really like Super Smash Bros. (good ol' memories of playing on my relatives' N64 and my Wii). The circle pad is for sliding. You don't need to be as aggressive as in Melee to do a smash attack. You just slide it up and press/hold A. The circle pad'll be fine.

However, if the controls still really bother you, play Fire Emblem. I would, however, recommend Bravely Default over it, if you don't already have it.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
As a fire emblem fan and a smash fan, I really think both deserve a look. Yes, awakening's story wasn't the greatest (though certainly far from terrible), but it was funny and enjoyable and includes some very memorable moments. The new mechanics added in do allow for varied strategies, though I wish there were victory conditions. I've sunk 262 hours into game and will certainly be playing more. Also, the cast is probably the most colorful out of the whole series, if a bit tropey at times.

Awakening serves as both a love letter to the entire franchise (especially in the dlc) and as the game the saved the series from cancellation. I feel a lot of people downplay the good parts of the game in favor of pointing out all the flaws in it. Yeah, it may not be perfect, but it is fun.

Also, it gives us Robin, Lucina, and Owain. And that's awesome.

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
If you're looking for the game with the most replay value, the ranking goes Pokemon, Smash, and then FE. If you're looking forward to playing with people, it's Smash, Pokemon, FE. If it's all solo, then I'd say probably Pokemon, FE, Smash. So far it seems like he Pokemon remakes have postgame content that blows the gen starter out of the water, and I don't see why that would change with a region that has as many legendaries as Hoenn.

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
Im a huge FE fan and I loved Awakening so much. You should definitely get it sometime in the future. But seriously, this is Smash bros we're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom