• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I am a Kirby scrub

Wintry

Smash Cadet
Hi! I just started maining Kirby for Smash 4 because I find him really fun to use and feel great to win with him. As it stands, though, I absolutely suck (no pun intended). Here's a few reasons why:

- I don't know how to approach. The best I got is a retreating Fair, which I have a hard time following up with.
- I have difficulty spacing with my aerials, I seem to get hit out of them a lot, any advice on air to air?
- Generally, I have problems fast falling to follow up on things. Any help there either?

There's a lot of general things I suck at, but Kirby wise, what are some things I should know? Thanks in advance.

IGottaStick

Smash Cadet
I main :kirby: in teams and here are the basics of Kirby:

Approaching is not Kirby's strongsuit IMO so you will usually need to force your opponent to approach. You should try to sit at the edge of the stage, crouch :GCD:, and when your opponent comes near you, start spamming DownTilt(:GCD::GCA:). This usually will not work on megaman, Villager, or Spamus

Try and go for a forward short hop D-air against your opponent and follow up immediately with your UpTilt. If your opponent is a heavy or at a low percent, short hop, then D-air UpTilt again and keep on repeating until your opponent escaped. When your opponent is at the middle percents, go for D-air Jab and do your full Jab combo. Once he/she is at about 75% or higher, go for Dair and then FSmash in the opposite direction that you were facing(This only works if you use D-air so that your opponent ends up behind you). If they are at an extremely high % then just to D-air DownSmash to be safe.

My favorite part about Kirby is easy Kills
On heavy characters or characters that are at about 0-6%, if you can get a ForwardThrow off of the edge of the stage, then you can get an F-air wall of pain and get an early kill.
You can also use your neutral-B on them to inhale them and walk off the stage(I call this a swallocide) the moment that they get out, you can usually follow up with a footstool(unless if they have a high second Jump) and if not, you can read your opponent for a D-air.

Also there are a lot of characters where if you BackThrow them at 0%, you can follow up with an instant B-air.

Also, some of Kirby's copy ability's are extremely useful but many players never try to utilize them.

:kirby:

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
I'll give the best answers I can, but this might be underwhelming.

- You kinda don't. Kirby and approaching don't really mix, so you're at a constant disadvantage unless you're close to your opponent. If you really need to get in, try approaching bairs and shorthops. Mindgame them and hit them with a dash grab. You have to trick your opponent, so mix it up.

- Kirby's aerials are outranged by everyone else's, so the best time for air-to-air is if you're juggling them. If they're in the air for any other reason, you should usually be staying on the ground and going for anti-airs. As for spacing your aerials on shield, use fair and bair to hit your opponent's shield with the tips of your feet.

- I'm not sure exactly what you're having trouble with, but I would say to just practice it. If you find that it really doesn't work, try something different instead.

Last edited:

Wintry

Smash Cadet
@ IGottaStick IGottaStick
Yeah it seems that much of Kirby's game is reacting to the opponent, and not pressing in too hard. I was already doing that Dair trick as a combo starter, but I have to work on juggling with Uair, as I normally go for a grab (mostly cause Kirby's grab animations are the best). Thanks for the tips!

@ Altair357 Altair357
Don't worry, I'd rather hear the truth about a character and how he's played. Kirby is going to be a good exercise in patience for me, learning to defend better than I do, and punish well. I'll practice the spacing more today. Thanks!

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
some tips since I main kirby:
-at zero for most characters, bthrow into bair is a combo
-up tilts are really good and sometimes hit the opponent in front of you...when you get enough tilts in follow up with upair
-harass in the air, use kirbys jumps to your advantage.
-kirbys jab game is really good. Hold down the a btn if you see people rushing in cause sometimes it catches them in your jab.
-if you land dair do a downsmash for the kill...or up tilt for more damage.
-nair is a great get off me tool.
-crouch to avoid grabs and do down a to trip.
-alitte advanced but chase off stage and try and down b (stone) to make your opponent guess.
-dont use up b unless your at the edge and want to go for the spike or you are recovering, dont use up b to space

Last edited:
Top Bottom