• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I already hit the wall, HELP!

Lord Puff IV

Smash Rookie
Back info:
I have been playing Smash Bros for a while but in a competitive way 3 years, I used to play Melee then leap into Project M cause Squirtle was Buffed! I always loved Squirtle but in Brawl it was ******* (not good ; / ).

So I choose Squirtle as my main in Project M.

-.-.-.-THE WALL-.-.-.-
So I play above-average. I can Wavedash, L-Cancel, SHFFL, DD, DI ,Pivot,TACUS.
But I don't feel my gamestyle is getting better, I don't see any advance in my play. I go to tournaments, try to play with different people who use lot's of characters. I try to play outside my circle of friends from time-to-time. Sometimes I play with Javi and Aza (Best player in Mexico : D ), I read the forum, watch Videos, try to Learn Frame Data but I don't see any Improvement.

Someone out there tell me your experience on defeating the wall! tell me your personal training routines, your personal combos, or your experience against some characters I just wanna improve but I don't know where and how.

Thanks in Advance, and I love you too random stranger.

~Dad~

part time gay dad
Real quick I just have to say that TACUS isn't a real thing, it's a RHUS (reverse-hydroplaned upsmash). Plz don't say TACUS.

plz.

Anyways, I've definitely hit the wall before, and it's no fun. For whatever reason playing a lot of characters that aren't Squirtle in friendlies seemed to help me out a lot, I think it helped me learn to apply things that aren't Squirtle specific to my play. I don't know how much that will help you, but I hope you get past that wall soon!

Cloudburst

Smash Cadet
How well are you applying your attempts to improve?

What I mean by that is this - play with people better than you, and when they beat you ask them why. If they are absolutely crushing you and you have no hope whatsoever, it is likely that your fundamentals, rather than your skill with Squirtle in particular, aren't strong enough. How reliably do you L-cancel all of your aerials? Personally I am probably at about a 65% success rate, which is an obvious gap in my play, so it's possible that there is a similar gap in yours.

And if your opponent doesn't know how to tech bubbles make 'em your #bubblebitch

Lord Puff IV

Smash Rookie
Right now I'm trying to use DK and Yoshi for new ways to see the game on characters that are not so "good". And for my Squirtle I'm trying new combos and mind games! trying to exploit more the Shellstalling to make player enter my rythme of the game.

Thanks for your Supp
and no more TACUS then xD

Boomhound

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I'd recommend working on Squirtle's pressure along with running into practice mode to work on combos.
While these combos won't be guaranteed on players, doing this has helped me make the most of combo opportunities when they arise.
For example: D-tilt, followed with down-B and/or side-B to uair to tech-chase.
Try to improve on your options away from side-B.. Squirtle has D-tilt and down-B which are safe if spaced well. He doesn't have to be played like Sonic to be effective, his side-B can work against you if it's over-used.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Work on squirtle tech and movement.

Join the cobra master race.

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
What the hell is cobra? Just shellshifting and wavedashing? lol
Cobra is only as cobra as you are, to know cobra you have to work at cobra, only then will you ever be cobra.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Quick question is that, while the movement game is pimp as hell, squirtle seems to have a bit of a barebones combo game. Is he supposed to stay on your opponents ass? The bobbing and weaving movement options are cool, but application is definitely key, and I haven't seen any explanation of proper or optimal application of his movement in regards to what he wants to be doing.

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
Quick question is that, while the movement game is pimp as hell, squirtle seems to have a bit of a barebones combo game. Is he supposed to stay on your opponents ***? The bobbing and weaving movement options are cool, but application is definitely key, and I haven't seen any explanation of proper or optimal application of his movement in regards to what he wants to be doing.
His combo games are crazy, he can hydrograb and cover landing on half the stage. His combo game requires you to be moving as fast as possible to be able to keep up with the opponent's trajectory.

Top Bottom