• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hyrule Grounds - Zelda Stage Analysis [FD]

What is your favorite stage to go on as Zelda?

• Total voters

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Hyrule Grounds - Zelda Stage Analysis

Hello sistrens,

Welcome to Hyrule Grounds, here we will go discuss one stage a week for Zelda to analyze which are her best stages and which stages are better for what match-up. We will also talk about unique things on each stage which are good for Zelda. Having this thread will help newcomers have a general consensus on what stage to pick. We will also give a score out of 5.

Last edited:

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Battlefield|
Score Average|
Useful Tip|
Consensus|
Characters To Pick Against|
Characters To Ban Against|

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Battlefield is pretty decent for Zelda

She can pressure from below the platforms with SHFF uairs, nairs, and sweetspot LK's. The platforms help her land but also make it easy to pressure her from below, and the weird edges of the stage let her easily dair and dtilt through them. If you somehow land an elevator on the top platform then FRAUD KILLS :secretkpop:

This stage is alright for Zelda, it does more good for her than bad, but landing while you're on a platform and being pressured from below can be difficult
3.5/5

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
I feel like this is one of her better stages due to platforms helping her extend combos. It can help her land and let her pressure from below with nairs. Teleport cancelling here could definitely help her mobility and that could be p big.

4/5

I would pick this stage against: :4charizard::4littlemac::4luigi::4sonic::4shulk::4samus::4robinm::4rob::4lucina::4ness::4link::4tlink::4yoshi:
I would ban this stage against: :4wiifitm::4villager::4sheik::rosalina::4peach::4pikachu::4mario::4falcon::4zss::4bowser:

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
Oh hey a thing I can chime in on!

Platforms in general are a good thing for Zelda it seems. Allows Zelda to keep away from her opponents better than stages like Final destination.

Battlefield is the most basic platform stage, and is reasonably good for her. You can Chain Nairs together if they land on the platforms. SH Uair is also nice if they're on a platform. The layout is beneficial if Zelda needs to make a quick getaway, but She has trouble gaining the main ground back if it's taken away. Conversely I've experienced she can keep the neutral quite well, but that's just my experience. Elevators off the top platform is always good.

Platforms can work against her though. Lots of characters have better follows off of platforms than Zelda and she has a hard time regaining solid footing if someone takes her to the platforms. Most of her bad matchups subscribe to the "Better at platforms than Zelda" so battfields usefulness wavers occasionally.

As @S.F.L.R.9 said, It helps Zelda more than harms. However when it harms her it can hurt a lot. 3/5

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
Hmm, this stage is quite nice in some matchups, but very bad in others. If you're fighting a character who can't manipulate the stage like you can, it can be great for pressuring opponents underneath and utilizing the platforms for combos. I think Utilt is a good move to use here, because it'll knock opponents up on platforms, making it possibly easier to land one of your aerials. If they're bad at teching their falls (when they land on one of the platforms), it could give you a free Uair, or another follow up. I'd also like to point out that you can use the startup of Farore's as a stage spiking tool underneath ledges because of the wide angle they have underneath. I've actually gotten kills with that at higher percents, so it's not a useless bit of info, just very situational. Always ban this against combo-heavy characters, chances are it won't go well at all, but this stage is alright against those who aren't the most agile, or don't have the tools to exploit the platforms that much. Also, if you miss an Elevator, it's much more safe than FD or SV, so keep that in mind when you're under the highest platform. I'll rate 3/5, it has its faults against some characters, but is good/fair against others.

Nickat98

Smash Cadet
In my own personal experience and opinion, BF is terrible for Zelda, I cannot do anything on this stage with the play forms in my way, I've tried to use them to my advantage instead of just ignoring them even learning consistent platform canceling along with ledge canceling, but I still get bodied on this stage.

There was once an instance where I consistently 2 and sometimes 3 stocked a Link player on omega stages, SV, and T&C, but once he took us to BF I got 2 stocked and continued to lose while on this stage. :(

I just don't believe we benefit as much as other characters do from the platforms.

2/5 simply because we can ledge/ platform cancel and can possibly get an earlier elevator kill with the assistance of the platforms.

Last edited:

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
Well it isn't Dream Land so -25/5

But I'll stick to a 3/5 like everyone else, it doesn't have anything too spectacular to help her, COUGHLIKEDREAMLANDCOUGH but it is decent and can work.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Battlefield isn't a bad pick for Zelda. I usually ban it because so many other characters are helped out by it though. Being able to pressure characters above her with nair helps a little bit but conversely, Zelda has trouble on platforms against other characters moreso than the reverse. It's really difficult for her to get down due to the ridiculous lag on her aerials. Meanwhile, platforms don't extend her combos to anything near Sheik, ZSS, or Samus levels. They still help her more than heavyweights though.

Pick this stage against characters that don't combo and can't hit you from below the platform. Don't pick it against fast combo characters or characters that can safely attack you from below like Ganon (usmash has barely any lag so he can throw it at us and we can't really do anything against it).

3/5 as well

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
battlefield is ok when your fighting someone who you can't take somewhere open and flat. Beware the battlefield disrespect on the recovery though (and I am forever on video for that)

drop through kicks from platforms are nice but Zelda doesn't really gain a ton from battlefield platforms like some other characters so its not necessarily my stage of choice. 3/5

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
idk gurl. Mega can do tho thing where he can upB Uair you on respawn and net another KO. Its kinda stupid lol. That aside I'd rather just not fight lemons in general.

also why ban against Robin? Never fought on here
Wait wut? =O

Tho platforms help us approach him a bit easier. Plus I asked my scene's Mega Man main & he said:
image.jpg

image.jpg

BF is one of Robin's best stages. She can apply pressure on the platforms really easily & Arcfire zoning is hard to get around when she's underneath a platform

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I'd have to say Battlefield is my most comfortable pick as Zelda.

HALF the time, You can teleport midstage at the start of the match and get a free 10% on them.

Down throw on this stage is god like, it sets up for nairs OR airdodge baits.

Down throw > nair AC >uptilt

Down throw > jump (nothing to bait airdodge) >upsmash is a great kill set up if you're having trouble OR

Downthrow > delayed nair (to catch end of a baited airdodge) up B

I will take Sheik to this stage.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
the ever faithful FD/Omega. Personally I think its a fine stage for Zelda unless your fighting heavy campers. Then its time to ban the stage.

unlike BF though FD doesn't do that whole #stagedisrespect thing because its sides are even so usually if your recover gets wreck its either a bad call on your end or Sakurai. but the stage generally won't screw you on recovery on the regular. which helps in going further offstage without fear of recovery fubs and really edgeguarding those hard to gimp gurls.

some Omega stages also share this bonus, but some have even worse ledges so beware where you go to cause you don't want to gimp yourself just for a musical track.

Last edited:

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
Hmm, what can I say about this one...
You've all practiced on this stage against Captain Falcon about 70% of the time because For Glory, am I right? :secretkpop:

This is one of my go to stages when Smashville/T&C isn't an option (I think it might be better than T&C actually because of the lack of high platforms). It's pretty good for Zelda in some matchups where she doesn't have to worry about platforms being abused by the better character opponent. In some ways, it gives less closure because a failed Elevator will be much more unsafe, no platforms for easy combos, etc, but it can be good against characters that have high vertical knockback moves (:4fox:, :rosalina:) because the lack of platforms makes it harder to combo in general and get those early vertical kills. Characters with a strong projectile game don't get as much benefit here as opposed to Battlefield because they can't zone you into staying on the left platform, or staying away from the center, which is usually a bad position. Here it's more focused on how close you are to the ledge.
The Phantom is super easy to hit with here (in comparison to some stages) because of the lack of platforms, making enemy approaches towards it very linear. They either attack it, stay away, or jump over it. On stages with platforms, your enemy could just use the platforms to get around it easily, but not here. This allows Zelda to have a bit of an easier time progressing back towards the center if she has to. Heavy air dodge reads are the main way to combo/land aerials here, since once again, no platforms. As long as Zelda isn't going to be heavily out camped, this is a good stage to pick against very combo heavy characters that get huge benefits off of platforms. I'm looking at you, :4lucas:, :4sheik:, :4metaknight:, :4zss:, and the rest of the juggling bunch. It matters more whether you're easy combo food in your matchup or not when picking this stage, because it being just a flat stage with nothing to it takes away some characters' potential quite a bit more than Zelda's, better evening out the matchup.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
I personally don't like it. I like platforms as a Zelda so for me, it's infavorable.

I'd only pick this against :4dedede::4bowser::4palutena::4robinf::4charizard::4pikachu:

I'd ban this against :4fox::4greninja::4megaman::4rob::4samus::4wiifit::4sheik::4tlink::4link:

I'll give it a 2/5

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
I prefer picking FD against low mobility characters or characters that benefit a lot from platforms. It's a great pick against basically any heavyweight.

Do not pick it against any form of camper be it Wario with his bike, Sonic with his spin dash, or any projectile camper. It will not end well for Zelda.

As for relevant MU's, I'd want this specifically against characters like :4diddy::4marth::4lucina::4luigi::4mario::4metaknight::4peach::4palutena::4pikachu:(Though Pika still does fair on FD especially with neutral-B camper Pika's):rosalina: and possibly :4zss: to avoid uair>up-B kill combos. I'm thinking of these MU's as if this was game one of a set where its only competition is the other 4 starter stages where these characters do a lot better comparatively. I'd counterpick DH against all of these characters because I love DH.

Top Bottom