• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hype-ness Tier List

LeadRod

Smash Apprentice
NNID
420B-LAZE-IT!!
So this is just a fun idea but I think it would be cool to create a "Tier List for Hype-ness". I'm just interested on who thinks which characters are hype based on how they play, how fun they are to watch, and any other relevant factors you think!

The Guidelines:
1.Try to Consider All the "Cool" Stuff:
Just because a character CAN do something lame doesn't mean they CAN'T do something hype. For instance you can ledge stall/camp with a lot of characters, but a lot of characters can also do a flying offstage Dair! (Not saying you can't find ledgestalling or camping hype if that's your thing....)

2. Try Not to Base on Upset Value
This basically means placing a character on the list based of how cool it would be too see them win instead of how they win. The focus of this list is the hypeness of playing/watching them. So if you put Kirby or Pichu 1st its because you enjoy watching them play, not for the upset value.

And that's pretty much it! Go ham in the comments :)

Last edited:

Massive

Smash Champion
My completely biased top 10 hype characters
  1. Captain Falcon
  2. Falco
  3. Gannondorf
  4. Marth
  5. Samus
  6. Sheik
  7. Yoshi
  8. Fox
  9. Puff
  10. Luigi

Ranking tournament viable 8 only

1. Captain Falcon
2. Falco
3. Fox
4. Marth
5. Sheik
6. Ice Climbers
7. Peach
8. Jigglypuff

SAUS

Smash Ace
For some people, flip the actual tier list upside down and you're done.

LozNerd

Smash Apprentice
1. Ganondorf. "let me see your up-tilt!"
2. Falco. dem cambos.
3. Captain Falcon. Falcon punch.
4. Luigi. (I mean, backfired side-b?)
5. G&W. 9-hammer.

5BAR

Smash Rookie
Top tier

1.:falconmelee: Captain Falcon
2.:falcomelee: Blue Fox
3.:roymelee: t3h ph1r3

Low tier

4.:jigglypuffmelee:
5.:jigglypuffmelee:
6.:jigglypuffmelee:
7.:jigglypuffmelee:

8. Everyone else

Last edited:

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
1. Falcon
2. Ganon
3. Fox/Falco
4. Jiggs
5. Icies
6. Peach
7. Sheik
8. Marth

The rest is just "ehhhh".

Luig

Confused
1. Ganon (do I need to explain)
2. Falcon (The style)
3. Fox (Such speed)
4. Luigi (#CeilingGlitch)
5. Falco (SHINESHINESHINE)

I'm too lazy to do the rest.

sadweather

Smash Apprentice
Falco and Falcon have always been super hype, fast gameplay and cool moves totally help.

Marth can be pretty hype, but can also get super boring

Ganon will of course be hype as he is similar to falcon.

People tht are good with low tiers can be hype as well.

D

Deleted member

1. :drmario:/:mariomelee: - Always awesome to see these two in the ring, especially Mario with how under-repped he is these days. Plus their series has one of the best victory themes in the game.
2. :yoshimelee: - aMSa. 'Nuff said.
3. :ganondorfmelee: - Just such a fun character to watch, I get euphoric everytime somebody gets a forward air kill with Ganon, or the infamous stomp.
4. :dkmelee: - Another niche pick that I think is fun to see played. Cargo throw shenangians, Giant Punch, and those beautiful aerials for life.
5. :mewtwomelee: - Good Mewtwos are so awesome to watch, one guy at my locals wrecks house with him and usually places top 5 in our brackets. His wavedash combos along with Shadow Ball and his overall physics interest me lots.

Last edited by a moderator:

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
This is how I'd rank the top tiers in terms of hype:
:falconmelee:
:jigglypuffmelee:
:icsmelee:
:falcomelee:
:marthmelee:
:foxmelee:
:sheikmelee:
:peachmelee:
(I really like lame stuff, hence the high placement of Jiggs and ICs)

Honorable mentions:
:ganondorfmelee::yoshimelee:(amsa):luigimelee::dkmelee::drmario:

Last edited:

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
Hey, Handoffs and rests are pretty sweet.
I know, I just added the note at the end because ICs and Jiggs are widely considered by some to be "lame" or whatever. People tend to really have a disdain towards wobbling or very straightforward rest setups like up-throw rest. I think they're amazing, but I know not as many people think the same, and I see their point. A lot of it has to do with taking control away from the opponent, which I totally get. But something about being able to end a stock off of such a small opening, like a grab, is really thrilling to me. It's like the biggest example of what Melee comes down to. Find openings, exploit them, win. I know this has totally strayed from your comment at this point and I'm totally making this all about myself and my interests, but I just wanted to explain why I find those characters so awesome.

LeadRod

Smash Apprentice
NNID
420B-LAZE-IT!!
Yeah no doubt. If there's a situation where an IC main at 150% wins Evo, last stock off a wobble I can't lie that I'd enjoy it.

probablydrugs

Smash Rookie
NNID
thealmightysul
3DS FC
2809-9728-4432
Totally unbiased, based in factual evidence Hype Tier List

1. Captain Falcon
2. Yoshi
3. Ice Climbers (The hand-offy kind, hellow Wobbles)
4. Falco
5. Mario
6. Marth
7. Link
8. Pichu
9. Donkey Kong
10. Everyone else

There is practically no hype in CF anymore. There is only so many times you can witness or be on the receiving end of his aerials before it gets stale quickly.

On the other hand this is best summed up by simply saying any dark horse character gets the hype. This is the only true hype you can get that is not stale.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
What's hype about a better player getting a guaranteed combo on someone who has no clue how to DI? If it were in a risky situation, the players were evenly skilled, or the other player was better then maybe it would be cool, but that clip I don't find exciting at all.

SavantGardener

Smash Rookie
What's hype about a better player getting a guaranteed combo on someone who has no clue how to DI? If it were in a risky situation, the players were evenly skilled, or the other player was better then maybe it would be cool, but that clip I don't find exciting at all.
Because it's hilarious.

Also:
I think wobbling is pretty hype in an upset situation
What's hype about a better player getting a guaranteed combo on someone

More obvious CF hype:

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I think that the hype generally comes from the players, not the characters. I say this because everyone plays differently (duh). You can have a Sheik who just techchases and chaingrabs the whole game, or you can have a Sheik that goes in and gets sick combos and edgeguards. Of course this sort of thing can be applied to every character, Sheik just comes to mind first.

I also think that hype is always going to be subject to bias. I play Bowser, so I am going to find Bowser's regular stuff more hype than the next guy. But let's be real, low tier players are always going to be pretty hype because upsets are hype as ****. But I also don't think that that necessarily makes the character itself any more hype, because again, it comes down to the player. I also think environment, style, and nerves all add to the hype tremendously.

I'm done killing the fun yall, I'll throw in my personal list as well.
Ultimate Hype (Almost always hype to watch do well) - :foxmelee:, :falcomelee:, :ganondorfmelee:
Pretty Hype (Depends on the player's style) - :marthmelee:, :jigglypuffmelee:, :icsmelee:, :bowsermelee:, :yoshimelee:, :falconmelee:
Kinda Hype (Hype will mostly depend on if there is an upset or not) - :linkmelee:, :samusmelee:, :nessmelee:, :dkmelee:

Everyone else is meh, hypeness depends solely on the player's skill and less on the character's moveset or abilities (Example, Armada's Peach vs MacD's Peach)

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
So silent spectre's "silence" wasn't hype? Lol. It pretty much helped launch the term "west coast DI"

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I give you props for jigglypuff. You should share with me player names if you have any off the top of your head.
Well of course Hungrybox is the best known. I think the most hype Puff right now is Tekk from France. If you haven't seen him play, definitely check him out.

s0ft is the least hype Puff ever. He's super good but not hype at all.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
So silent spectre's "silence" wasn't hype? Lol. It pretty much helped launch the term "west coast DI"
The clip I saw that you linked was Weedlord four stocking a Falco with stomp->falcon punch. I haven't been around for long enough to remember the coining of west coast DI (I only started like two years ago lol) so forgive me for not knowing what you're referencing here

I generally only get hyped when there is an upset situation or the set/match is otherwise very close. That being said one of the most hype moments for me was actually from Brawl when Salem beat M2K, but it was a long time ago that I watched that so *shrug*

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I generally only get hyped when there is an upset situation or the set/match is otherwise very close. That being said one of the most hype moments for me was actually from Brawl when Salem beat M2K, but it was a long time ago that I watched that so *shrug*
That set is actually one of my favorite sets in all of Smash. God it's so hype.

Tamak

Smash Rookie
My completely biased top 10 hype characters
  1. Captain Falcon
  2. Falco
  3. Gannondorf
  4. Marth
  5. Samus
  6. Sheik
  7. Yoshi
  8. Fox
  9. Puff
  10. Luigi
i like this one the most....... but get shiek out of 6 and boost yoshi up lol

Les Bubbles

Smash Rookie
(EDITED) Top 8 Hype tier list

SS::ganondorfmelee::icsmelee:
S: :falcomelee::marthmelee::yoshimelee:
A: :mariomelee::falconmelee::foxmelee:

NOTES:
Ganon- Up tilts, Warlock Punch, sheer Ganon power. Just the way he looks and does **** is hype as hell
Icees- Handoffs, de-sync combos, sopo comebacks
Flaco- Crazy ****ing combos, shine off the top, shine ---> Firebird, tech skill, pressure
Marth- Sick combos, Ken/Pal combos, comebacks, side B's (mostly the 3rd hit spike). Marth probably has the greatest comeback potential in the game, quick-killing gimps are super hype
Yoshi- Weird yet ridiculous combos, eggs, butt slam, parries/DJ super armor usage, movement. Yoshi looks weird as hell when he does anything and everything, yet when made work looks incredibly fluid and cool. His weird and jank ways create hype wherever he steps
Mario- F-smash, cool and creative combos, fireball snipes lol, F-air punch, Mario noises
Captain Falcon- Aesthetics are incredible, Knee of Justice, Falcon Punch, reads, combos, the fastest ************ in the game
Fox- Tech skill, just moving crazy fast

Last edited:

Chinaux

Smash Ace
How is Marth hype? Wtf? I think Marth is as boring as Sheik unless we're talking Mew2King Marth or someone who is absolutely crazy with him.
1.:falcomelee:
2.:falconmelee:
3.:foxmelee:
4.:ganondorfmelee:
5.:dkmelee:

Top Bottom