Project Hybrid 64 [Current Version: 2.1]

Cjag

Smash Cadet
It's been about a year since v1.5 of this mod was released in the Smashboards. Although it was said that it would be the "Final" version of the mod, something about that didn't fit well with me. I realized there was more I could do with this now 2-year-old mod. I wanted it to be the definitive mod where Smash 64 and Melee players alike could experience a brutal combo game without leaving their tech skill behind.

And with that goal in mind, I restarted the project. You can read the details of the mod by clicking on the spoiler tags.

My main focus for this patch has been character balancing and expanding combo opportunities. An issue with this mod's previous patches has always been the linear flowchart-y combos. While this is an aspect Smash 64 has due to it's lack of DI (only SDI was present), I didn't want this mod to mimic that entirely. This game has DI and I want its effect to be just strong enough to make a difference. Not too strong that would change an attack from launching vertically to launching horizontally, but not so weak that it might as well be non-existent.

That is why version 2.0 will have slightly stronger DI. Its curve allows combos to happen at lower percents and low-knockback moves while providing just enough to help characters survive longer at higher percents.

Fox Up Throw at 0% against Pikachu:

I tried my best to show it as exact as possible, but it proved to be difficult with just images. This will do, for now.

Character balancing has also been a topic in my mind. Everyone has their own visions on how they want their character to work and what buffs/nerfs they should receive. Some would like the low-tiers to be buffed so they can catch up, while others want the high-tiers to be nerfed so they can be fair against the rest of the cast. While an imbalanced game can lead to staleness and repetitive character choices, a game that's too balanced makes for a boring game since it sucks up potential creativity from the characters and its players.

Hybrid 64 hasn't always been a balanced game, and that's a good thing. For version 2.0, that will remain the same. I let myself loose and did the best I can without breaking the character or completely changing their dynamic/playstyle. While something may look overpowered at first glance, keep in mind that there is less DI, more Shield Stun, and more Hitstun than in vanilla Melee. The characters were adjusted with that in mind to bring the Smash 64 experience to Melee. Combo is the name of the game.

Smash 64's "Go!" and "Game Set" textures were imported into the game for a more retro experience, and I created a new "Ready" texture to fit the style.

I also made a new banner for Dolphin and its saves to help distinguish it from the long list of other games.

Download Link (Current Version: 2.1)

GameBanana Page
Full Patch Notes (Melee 1.02 NTSC -> Hybrid 64 v2.1)

If you're having issues patching the game with xDelta, here's an option with the game's root files. No ISO needed! Just GCRebuilder or DAT Texture Wizard. Instructions are provided on how to perform this.

This is where I'll place Patch Notes specific to this mod in case it gets updated.

• Yoshi does not suffer the intended Shield Stun. [Fixed as of v2.1.]
  • Coin Mode crashes the game.
  • The game has a small chance of not booting up in Nintendont. [Fixed as of 2.02?]
  • Yoshi slides off ledges while shielding. [Fixed as of v2.1]

I poured my heart and soul into this mod and I hope you'll enjoy it!

Oh! And if you want to find the older patches, here's a link to the old thread from 2017.

• Jun/25/2019
    • Prepared Opening Post for release.
    • Added links to Patch Notes.
  • Aug/06/2019
    • Added Root Files as an alternative download option.
  • Sept/09/2019
    • Updated trailer to reflect newest version at the time (v2.1)
    • Updated Full Patch Notes link.
    • Added download link for v2.1 Root Files

Last edited:

Cjag

Smash Cadet
will this have more hitstun then hybrid64 1.5
Hybrid64 has always had a hitstun multiplier of x0.45 and the cast was balanced with that in mind. Considering that characters can fastfall while performing an aerial, low Directional Influence, and Melee's overall speed, having too much hitstun would start creating easy infintes. Of course, having too little wouldn't really be like Smash 64. I had to find a happy medium where characters could have high combo potential, but wouldn't introduce infintes or repetitive combo chains against the fastfallers.

I mean, imagine the classic Cpt. Falcon vs Kirby matchup. Falcon falls much faster than his 64 counterpart. If this mod had a x0.533 hitstun multiplier like Smash 64, Falcon would get combo'd for over 100% with up tilts alone, then he'll lose a stock with a guaranteed up-air. And then there's the case with the spacies where they fall so fast they wouldn't be able to act out of hitstun until they're halfway below Final Destination. I would have to rebalance everyone for the higher hitstun which would result in a sluggish experience.

Hopefully this answers your question.

3DS FC
1161-0239-7545
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I don't seem to be able to patch it in? xdelta gives me an error message when I try, and I know the ISO works bc I've tested it with other patches. (I'm using the 2.1 patch, the 2.0 download seems to be corrupted).

Cjag

Smash Cadet
Thanks for bringing this up.

The reason why the 2.0 download may be corrupted for you is because I uploaded that version inside a .rar file. You would need something like 7zip or Winrar to open/unpack the file for that version. That won't be the case for 2.01 and onward as those will be in the standard .zip file.

I've looked into both xdelta patches (2.0 and 2.01) and they both work on my side. What kind of error message is it giving you? If it is XD3_INVALID_INPUT, then it is likely that the ISO you are using is not a vanilla copy of Melee NTSC 1.02. Check if the ISO you have is NTSC 1.02. If it's 1.01, 1.0, or PAL, the xdelta that was provided will not work. Also, the ISO needs to be a completely clean copy, as in nothing must be edited in that ISO for the xdelta patch to work.

Because of this issue, I will prepare an alternative download where I will pack the edited files from the mod for people to rebuild themselves with DAT Texture Wizard or GCrebuilder if the xdelta patch doesn't work for them. I'll do one for 2.01 and the upcoming 2.02 that should be releasing soon. I will update the OP once it's ready.

Last edited:
3DS FC
1161-0239-7545
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
1) It's not because it's a RAR file. I have WinRAR and it says it's a corrupted file and won't open it.

2) I have made absolutely sure of the ISO, it is an unmodified vanilla 1.02 NTSC copy of Melee, and I still get an XD3_INVALID_INPUT error when I try to patch it.

Cjag

Smash Cadet
1) It's not because it's a RAR file. I have WinRAR and it says it's a corrupted file and won't open it.

2) I have made absolutely sure of the ISO, it is an unmodified vanilla 1.02 NTSC copy of Melee, and I still get an XD3_INVALID_INPUT error when I try to patch it.
1) Hmm... Quite an odd case there. I've checked both Gamebanana and Mediafire links, and both files (2.0 and 2.01) open on my side. And I use WinRAR, too, so I'm not sure what could be causing the corruption issue on your end. I'm assuming you were able to open 2.01 since it's giving you an XD3 error, so there might be something fishy going on.

2) I've tested 2.01's xdelta patch again with my clean NTSC 1.02 copy and it was patched successfully, so I'm not entirely sure what the problem could be if your copy is also a vanilla copy but doesn't match. Has it been compressed in size in any way? Or maybe the MD5 Checksum doesn't match with my copy?
Regardless, to help fix your issue I have prepared an alternative download option for those who have problems with the patch. It includes the mod's root files, so you won't need an ISO to have the mod. All you need to do is build the ISO with GCRebuilder or DAT Texture Wizard. The links are in the OP under "Alternative Downloads (Root Files)." The instructions are included in the .zip.

If you still have problems trying to download the mod or building your own ISO, DM me and I'll help you the best I can.

Last edited:
3DS FC
1161-0239-7545
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Hmm... now that you mention it, I think my ISO might be compressed. Lemme try for an uncompressed version and I'll get back to you.

EDIT: Yep, uncompressed version patched just fine. Weird that the compressed copy worked for some patches but not others, but oh well. Thanks for the suggestion! Looking forward to trying it out now!

Last edited:

Cjag

Smash Cadet
Hello, everyone!

As you may have noticed, Hybrid 64 has been updated to version 2.1. This is a major patch since it has plenty of new additions and mechanics changes.

UCF v0.73 has been added into the game! Inputs should be cleaner now. [Image Link]

Thanks to Taukhan, Yoshi now suffers shield stun like the rest of the cast. And I also fixed an issue where Yoshi's shield would slide off platforms. [GIF Link]

Stick Hop has been added into the game! This Smash 64 mechanic allows for variable jump heights for every character depending on how you move the analog stick upward. A full stick hop generally has characters jump higher than their normal button hop. The height each character gains is also unique, so some characters get a higher stick hop than others. [GIF Link]

Slanted Hop has been added into the game! This Smash 64 mechanic lowers a character's jump height when performed during a dash or run. This also affects stick hops. Both this and Stick Hop mechanics were created by Unclepunch, so all thanks to him for porting them into Melee! [GIF Link]

Characters have been balanced once again, so please take a look at the patch notes included in the .zip or by clicking here.

Have fun!

Last edited: