• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Huh... what was that noise?

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
I had a brilliant mini-game idea, well, maybe brilliant, maybe not (it sounds fun to me, okay?)

For those of you who are familiar with the Metal Gear series, you'll know around the time the PSX version came out, you could play the VR missions, and you would control Snake in VR enviornments (virtual reality) and have to dodge corners and tap walls to get the attention of terrorists. Basically, it's level by level of recon missions (you can't be seen, if you are, it's game over.)

Wouldn't it be funny, and fun to control, let's say, Peach, or Mario, or even Pikachu and play a VR mission? If different mini-games are implemented in Brawl, I would definetly like to see something like this. There could be ten or so levels that you had to complete to earn something, or just a time attack (whatever.)

I'm rambling, but I'd just like to throw that out. If none of you know what VR missions are, I can explain it better (I'm just assuming you all know, sorry.)

Tbacksha

Smash Apprentice
Well great, now you've gone and made me feel as dumb as I am, what's VR missions?

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
Ehhhh... now you're pushing it game mode wise. Sure little surprises like a VR mode would be funny, but now you're taking away from the focus of the game. Too many modes, especially little minigames from other games, make Smash Brothers look like a collection of little games rather than one huge fighting game. How would a character's attacks come into play? What skill in terms of Smash brothers would come into play? Look at breatk the targets or Home Run Contest. You had to use a combination of attacks and jumps with the aid (or hindrance) of platforms and stage hazard. You had to use attacks on the sandbag that would rack up the most damage in the least time, that wouldn't send the bag anywhere until you were ready. These are skills that apply to the fighting aspect the game.

How does a Metal Gear-esque VR mode fit within that scheme of Super Smash Bros?

I don't mean to rant, and I know most people are running out of ideas for Brawl (we need another trailer... again.) But it just irritates me to see something that, let's admit, has basicall no chance of winding up in Brawl.

Vaztor

BRoomer
BRoomer
It wouldn't necessarily ruin the gameplay...

I personally would rather have them focus entirely on the game rather than include minigames. However I think your idea is pretty sick Kero XD.

Imagine tapping on the walls with the Wiimote, placing down C4 Charges with the Wiimote, then setting them off with the A button...

Hell, Metal Gear Solid would just be plain sick on Wii period >_>

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
A VR mission mode doesn't really sound Smashing. It just isn't Smash-like. While the others focus on aspects of Smash, this idea doesn't.

Destruction_King makes valid point here. The current minigames train certain aspects which could be useful for playing Smash. Board the Platforms trained accuracy in landing. Multi-man melee sees how well you would do against many opponents, with different types of disadvantages or conditions. Even the Get the Trophy from the classic mode trains something.

A good idea could be avoid the lasers, where you need to dodge yourself out of the level, or bomb the castle, where your aiming capabilities are tested (with on-rail movement of the platform). Hell, even a target shooting gallery could work, or a minigame based on the SMB boss level (whre you should dodge 8-bit Bowser's fire trying to reach the finish, with Stamina mode).

Keige

Smash Journeyman
It could work, but it would need to focus on platforming. Like you'd have to time a wall jump right to get up higher without the CPU seeing you.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
True... a Metal Gear Solid VR mission virtually has nothing to do with Smash, but you could implement Smash features into it (like the new crawling ability, and jumping) and perhaps fighting (maybe the mission didn't have to end if you are seen.)

I guess I'm just fighting for the right of VR missions, because I loved them so (plus, I want to kick some terrorist *** as Peach.)

Keige

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it could be like race to the finish. Get caught and getting to the end suddenly gets alot harder with a bunch of level 9 CPUs chasing you.

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
Dodging and hiding in a 2d environment??? Sounds like Adventure mode to me...

Top Bottom