• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Huge question about Melee controllers!

SOLAR

Smash Ace
So, a while back, I had one of the silver controllers that I really liked. The thing I liked about it was when I flicked the control stick up (even while playing a character with a small shorthop window time frame such as Fox) it would shorthop. I lost it at a tournament one day, and since then, I have not been able to find ANY decent controllers that do this. (A few indigo colored ones control stick shorthopped fine, but they had other major flaws that rendered them useless.)

With my current silver controller, I can get it to shorthop with control stick maybe one in five times. It seems that most controllers are hypersensitive to upflick, and they will make the character fullhop. I am looking for a Nintendo controller just like the old one that will shorthop with the upwards flick. Anyone know any particular year/style of controller that will do this? Anyone have any experience using the control stick for short hopping in some situations?

I have no problems shorthopping with X, it's just that for specific things, I need that upflick shorthop with Fox. I've been playing some solid melee for many years, but this is something I just can't seem to solve! Help!

Kadano

Magical Express
You could try holding the control stick a very small bit upwards while plugging it in. If you do it correctly, your character select screen cursor shouldn’t move when you don’t touch the stick, but the jump threshold should be slightly higher. Thus at the first position a jump is triggered, the spring is compressed stronger and snaps the stick back down below the threshold more quickly.

The things you are looking for aren’t determined by controller color or production date, but by usage, springiness and stickbox type. I don’t short hop with the stick, so I don’t know which stickbox type is suited best for that.

SOLAR

Smash Ace
You could try holding the control stick a very small bit upwards while plugging it in. If you do it correctly, your character select screen cursor shouldn’t move when you don’t touch the stick, but the jump threshold should be slightly higher. Thus at the first position a jump is triggered, the spring is compressed stronger and snaps the stick back down below the threshold more quickly.

The things you are looking for aren’t determined by controller color or production date, but by usage, springiness and stickbox type. I don’t short hop with the stick, so I don’t know which stickbox type is suited best for that.
I didn't think about the control stick at the start, but that's something I'll fool around with. Any more answers are appreciated, since this is something I'm looking to solve.

WHA?

Smash Ace
OK
I use the control stick for some shorthopping
I admit it is hard to find controllers because we are picky about the control stick

You basically just have to try them out until you find one
if you can buy them off someone, try not to get some that have heavy mario party usage, or that a space animal player used to use.

the less usage a controller has, the more resistance the stick will have
IDK if you have bought any factory sealed ones (which i assume would be best as they would not have any control stick wear)

so just look around, theres nothing to my knowledge that you can do to have it fit your need. You basically have to find "the one"

If you lived in california you could try out my 6 controllers (which i collected in search of my "ideal" controller) so yea....

bwrw

Smash Rookie
Gamestop has GC controllers for under $2 right now. They're a little hard to find, and most are pretty worn, but it's a good way to try out a ton of them without putting too much money into it.

Top Bottom