• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HTC Rivals | Vol. 1: Origins

Perhaps the most interesting thing in competitive Smash Bros. are the rivalries and relationships between the players - not only in game, but as people. For Melee in particular, the relationships between three of the elusive "Big 6" - Mango, Hungrybox, and Leffen, have developed to become some of Melee's most storied rivalries in the past years.

The new mini-series "HTC Rivals" from HTC eSports covers exactly this, and more. Volume 1 of the video series not only features interviews from Mango, Hungrybox, and Leffen, but an overview of the recent HTC Throwdown tournament, the recent development of Smash as an eSports, and interviews from other Smashers such as D1, Lucky, MacD, Tafokints, and maybe even a special guest at the end.

Comments

D
This was really well done. I'm really digging the production quality and editing. Plus the ending just sealed the deal (if you don't appreciate it, then there's something wrong with you). Any word on when volume 2 is to be released? I don't wanna wait much longer!

Damn. That was powerful.

Really insightful, too, on some aspects of the scene that might elude stream chat monsters, or players who don't travel to nationals. Especially that comment on how our less than healthy grassroots behaviors no longer fit in or are necessary in our situation today...that hit home for me pretty hard. I only got into smash in late 2013ish, so it's all I ever knew. Never thought of how/why the bad practices started, just rolled with it cos everyone else did and seemed to handle themselves fine. And for everything great smash has given me these past ~2 years...I can't say I wouldn't change some things if I could. School+jobs are important.

Last edited:
HYYYYYPE!!

This is just awesome, the production value and narrative is through the roof! It's pretty sweet to see this game keep getting more and more popular through the years :)

Last edited:
I liked the content but I thought the music selection starting with the weird HBOX tribal vampire trance montage didn't fit at all and kinda drained a lot of the excitement.

It was just kind of weird and monotonous, like the musical equivalent of a burned out junkie lol

I can understand the sentiment with the segment mentioning burnout quite a bit. after awhile, you get to a point where you feel like you've "been there, done that" and crave something new. I can't speak for Melee because I don't play it much myself (and let's face it, a sm4sh/PM player criticizing Melee is supposedly sacrilege), but in most of the others, there's hardly a time where you see someone really stand out among the rest.

much like Fox defines a top player in Melee, supposedly Mario is becoming the same way in Smash 4... at least for three top players, outside of them, very few players that I've encountered really stand out with a fighter, nothing but bread and butter stuff.

Smash 4 players should know what I mean... sheik's F-throw to bouncing fish, DK's U-Throw to Up-air, ZSS's attempting to mimic Nairo's boost kick combo finishers.

I'd been told Melee's strongest point in competition is how distinct a style each player has, even if it's the same character. I'm not in deep enough to really see beyond the fact it's two identical movesets and toolboxes to really notice the finer differences, but I'll take the word for it... since saying otherwise is, again, a form of blasphemy it seems.

Last edited:
Very nice. Now I really look forward to listening to what PP has to say. I could watch him talk for hours.

Very insightful and enlightening on the burnout concept. Kinda wanted to hear a little about Armada. Overall a very optimistic and competitive video. Rivalries like Leffen says are part of the game/persona.

Top Bottom