• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HTC and Showdown Smash Present: The HTC Throwdown!

pokemon64ism

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LemyKoopa

Today, the eSports division of the tech giant HTC made a special announcement - the HTC Throwdown! The HTC Throwdown is a major Super Smash Bros. Melee tournament that will happen on September 19th at the Folsom Street Foundry in San Francisco, the same venue where the popular "Get Smashed at the Foundry" tournaments take place.

Thanks to HTC, the tournament boasts a hefty $12,000 prize pool, which includes $10,000 for singles and $2000 for doubles. Additionally, many top players are confirmed to be attending such as [A]rmada, TSM | Leffen, C9.Mang0, COG | MVG | Mew2King, Liquid`Hungrybox, Tempo | Westballz, Tempo | Axe, MacD, HugS, PG | Plup, Silentwolf, WFX | Shroomed, CLG.PewPewU, and SFAT.

Sign-ups and details for the tournament can be found here on smash.gg. For updates on the event, stay tuned on social media to HTC eSports (Facebook, Twitter) and Showdown (Facebook, Twitter).

Pokemon64ism is very happy to see HTC directly supporting Smash, and excited for the HTC Throdown. You can follow him on Twitter @ pokemon64ism pokemon64ism .

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I never know that HTC is a hue esports sponsor of Smash Bros... it's a company from my country!

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
Guys HTC has been sticking their noses into smash for like a few months now.

They sponsored the salty suite at evo and even sponsor a few random players, like mafia

Seal

Smash Journeyman
10k pot bonus for singles??? If there are enough entrants, this may break the record of largest tourney payout ever! Not to mention nearly all of the best players in the world will be there.

What a hype event. Can't wait to watch it.

Zappdos

Smash Cadet
I can't believe how high caliber this event is going to be for just hearing about it.

How long has registration been going?

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
It's funny that a smartphone manufacturer supports Melee more than Nintendo does...

Hats off to you, HTC.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Why do you think that Melee's getting stale? It has an unattainable skillcap (so that you always have something to strive for), the 5 gods mostly have different representative characters, the meta is constantly evolving, it has a huge learning curve from casual to competitive (but it feels amazing when you overcome it), and it pools people into its community from all walks of life. Take Mang0 and HBox as an example; they are complete opposites of each-other and while they don't like each-other, they've grown to respect the other's playstyle (despite Mango taking FOREVER to accept HBox).

Sm4sh has (in my opinion) a really low skillcap and instant gratification for getting better, but I have never gawked at Sm4sh gameplay and say "I wish I could do that"; I've only seen Sm4sh gameplay and said "Wow, they would have never gotten away with that in any other game." When I play it, I only see options that would be there if I had the awesome, fluid movement from Melee but aren't because Sakurai wanted Sm4sh to appeal to a casual environment.

Last edited:

Flambo237

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flambo237
Why do you think that Melee's getting stale? It has an unattainable skillcap (so that you always have something to strive for), the 5 gods mostly have different representative characters, the meta is constantly evolving, it has a huge learning curve from casual to competitive (but it feels amazing when you overcome it), and it pools people into its community from all walks of life. Take Mang0 and HBox as an example; they are complete opposites of each-other and while they don't like each-other, they've grown to respect the other's playstyle (despite Mango taking FOREVER to accept HBox).

Sm4sh has (in my opinion) a really low skillcap and instant gratification for getting better, but I have never gawked at Sm4sh gameplay and say "I wish I could do that"; I've only seen Sm4sh gameplay and said "Wow, they would have never gotten away with that in any other game." When I play it, I only see options that would be there if I had the awesome, fluid movement from Melee but aren't because Sakurai wanted Sm4sh to appeal to a casual environment.
The sm4sh part was not needed could've been left out, two wrongs don't make a right I agree with the melee part though.

Meister Zeigler

Smash Apprentice

It's getting stale because it's getting stale, how in the world is the skillcap unattainable for a 15 year old game when everyone knows what it is, SSDD, same people at the top, same characters, zero changes ever happening. Also you can't even say that because SSB4 isn't even a year old yet and tech is still being discovered you Melee fanboys don't even want to give other SSB games a chance, and id love to see you beat ZeRo since it's such an easy game. I think it's idiotic how the community caters to the fans who won't change, it's okay for things like SSC or Apex but it's dumb to be at EVO when every other fighting game only gets 1 game *the newest one* and SSB gets two, accept the new like every other FGC, move on, and stop clinging to the past.

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
It's getting stale because it's getting stale, how in the world is the skillcap unattainable for a 15 year old game when everyone knows what it is, SSDD, same people at the top, same characters, zero changes ever happening. Also you can't even say that because SSB4 isn't even a year old yet and tech is still being discovered you Melee fanboys don't even want to give other SSB games a chance, and id love to see you beat ZeRo since it's such an easy game. I think it's idiotic how the community caters to the fans who won't change, it's okay for things like SSC or Apex but it's dumb to be at EVO when every other fighting game only gets 1 game *the newest one* and SSB gets two, accept the new like every other FGC, move on, and stop clinging to the past.
You see, we haven't found a skillcap yet. You can't see it but the rest of us can. Now we won't leavethi s game because we love to play it. Brawl players either left to melee or moved on to sm4sh

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
It's getting stale because it's getting stale
That argument won't hold water.
[quotehow in the world is the skillcap unattainable for a 15 year old game when everyone knows what it is[/quote]
Then please do tell me, what is the skillcap for Melee and who has attained it? I can garentee you that NOBODY has EVER made the skillcap.
SSDD, same people at the top, same characters, zero changes ever happening.
If you knew anything about the game you would know that statement isn't true. People are still finding tech and things about the game (the last-port priority one-frame chaingrab advantage and Z powershielding comes to mind), the MU chart is only a few years old and everyone everywhere agrees that it's horribly out of date and hugely inaccurate, and there is a large push to make a new tier list, as there are some spot changes that have taken place in the past two years since the last one. In addition, if you look at the top 5 people in the world, they have these mains:
  1. Fox
  2. Falco
  3. Marth
  4. Shiek
  5. Peach
  6. Jiggs
and in addition, wreck people consistently with literally any character in the game. Name any character and I can link you to a match where a notable person is using him to completely dominate an opponent. It's true that there are only 12-ish characters that are viable at the highest tournament level, but there are still low tiers that can do really well at regionals. If you say that there are no changes ever happening, then you're sorely wrong; Leffen has been trying to slay the gods of Melee for a solid couple of years and has now taken matches off all of them (cementing his spot fairly high), Hax recently retired because of hand problems, M2K has dropped the game (he went to Sm4sh because his hand problems wouldn't let him keep up with Melee) and is trying to get back into it, a Yoshi has invaded the top 20, and sets of nationals are always making people amend their top 10 Smashers list and change favorites. Quite honestly, this is the best time to be in the Melee community and some consider it the "Golden Era" of Melee.

Also you can't even say that because SSB4 isn't even a year old yet and tech is still being discovered you Melee fanboys don't even want to give other SSB games a chance
I gave it a chance. I played my heart out in Brawl, clocked over 350 hours, and tried to discover any redeeming factors of it competitively. There were some new techs that I liked such as DACUS and QAC, but the physics were so floaty that it slowed the game speed down significantly. Then I tried Sm4sh and clocked over 150 hours in it, downloaded the extra character DLC, and tried to love it. I just couldn't bring myself to love it because of the wonky movement, lack of useful tech, slow pace of game, and defensive, campy nature.

and id love to see you beat ZeRo since it's such an easy game.
I'd probably get beaten by ZeRo, taking a max of 60-ish % (getting a gimp if I'm lucky) in a match of 2-stocks, lasting about 2 minutes. If you played a someone of Mang0's level, you would probably get JV 5'd in less than a minute. Comparing Melee to Sm4sh is like comparing professional tennis to Wii Sports tennis; it's easier, but there's always going to be someone better than you.

I think it's idiotic how the community caters to the fans who won't change, it's okay for things like SSC or Apex but it's dumb to be at EVO when every other fighting game only gets 1 game *the newest one* and SSB gets two, accept the new like every other FGC, move on, and stop clinging to the past.
The reason there are two is because without Melee there wouldn't be a competitive Smash scene (our community worked for what we have while yours rode on our coattails just to denounce it) and because there isn't another Smash game that has come CLOSE to having the same level of depth as Melee has. If one comes along, I'm sure that there would be a lot more people playing that and the Melee community will start to die off (like it would have if Brawl was competitively suited).

Meister Zeigler

Smash Apprentice
You are saying all this stuff about depth and new tech, but that game is 15 years old and never changing *as in finite tech because of lack of patching or balancing*, SSB4 is brand new and ever-changing but you still want to discredit it and say Melee is just the best and that SSB4 will just never ammount to s***, it's a huge bandwagon thing that started happening ever since Melee was put at EVO and it's really annoying. Also the same thing could be said about many other fighting games but you don't see Street Fighter: Third Strike players b****ing up a storm about SFV, they get the new game, practice it, and move on, but the Melee community is so elitist and stubborn because people outside the SSB community look down on the series as a whole but you feel somewhat relevant if you play Melee, it just boils down to a superiority complex which is bad for the growth of the SSB community moving forward into the future. What kind of series is it when you can never move on and just keep playing the same old game over and over and over again.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
You are saying all this stuff about depth and new tech, but that game is 15 years old and never changing
I already proved that it's always changing
*as in finite tech because of lack of patching or balancing*
If Nintendo had the power to balance Melee, it probably wouldn't be nearly as technical as it is now. They would have removed a lot of tech (like they removed DACUS in Sm4sh) and the game wouldn't have as much depth[/quote]
SSB4 is brand new and ever-changing
True
but you still want to discredit it and say Melee is just the best and that SSB4 will just never ammount to s***
I'm fine with Sm4sh as a casual party game; it does that great. I don't even openly voice my opinion on why Sm4sh sucks competitively on any Sm4sh threads. The reason you're getting this lecture on why Sm4sh is shallow competitively is because you posted this on a thread about a MELEE tournament and called OUR game "stale".
it's a huge bandwagon thing that started happening ever since Melee was put at EVO and it's really annoying.
Which EVO? I've been in the scene since 2012 and I remember that bandwagon for Brawl.
Also the same thing could be said about many other fighting games but you don't see Street Fighter: Third Strike players b****ing up a storm about SFV, they get the new game, practice it, and move on, but the Melee community is so elitist and stubborn because people outside the SSB community look down on the series as a whole but you feel somewhat relevant if you play Melee
The reason there are two is because without Melee there wouldn't be a competitive Smash scene (our community worked for what we have while yours rode on our coattails just to denounce it) and because there isn't another Smash game that has come CLOSE to having the same level of depth as Melee has. If one comes along, I'm sure that there would be a lot more people playing that and the Melee community will start to die off (like it would have if Brawl was competitively suited).
it just boils down to a superiority complex
No, it boils down to the superior complexity of Melee over Sm4sh.
which is bad for the growth of the SSB community moving forward into the future.
Honestly, I think that Sm4sh has no place in the competitive FGC. As I stated earlier, the only reason that it actually made it to EVO is because it rode on the coattails of Melee. If Melee wasn't as technical and deep as it is, there would be no platform fighters at EVO.
What kind of series is it when you can never move on and just keep playing the same old game over and over and over again.
I'm starting to think you didn't read my last post.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Start working at home with Google! It's by-far the best job I've had. Last Wednesday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this - 4 weeks past. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour. I work through this link, go to tech tab for work detail.
----------------------> http://www.online-jobs9.com
Really? What model? Is it the 335Virus?

Meister Zeigler

Smash Apprentice
Really? What model? Is it the 335Virus?
You didn't prove anything you just keep repeating yourself with zero facts it's cool im starting to think you didn't read my post very well either since you can't grasp that Melee is not changing as a game physically *zero patches ever coming*, of course people change up play styles that doesn't mean the game is changing because it will always be the same game and disc with no balance patching or anything, the same wavedashing exploit *which sakurai said he would've patched out if he could*, and people using Fox and Marth all day. A Melee superiority complex is what I was already talking about, no need to reiterate, and yes it's been a fad since 2013 when they allowed it at EVO. Also hardly not belonging in the FGC when it is technical and the tech is growing cause you know it's only a year old and you act like you have it figured out when you don't, not to mention it always will be changing in the future since it actually has patching and support. You may be newer in the FGC but ive seen it before people try to cling on to older games of a series and eventually without patching they go stale and tournaments drop it from the venue or make it into a side tournament. Also I'd like to see you attempt to play an actual fighting game other than Melee, go try to learn Street Fighter or Guilty Gear and learn what tech and footsies actually are, guarantee you'll quit go back to Melee and ****ting on other SSB games to feel cool.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
You didn't prove anything you just keep repeating yourself with zero facts
lol nice joke. Also, how would I not be reading it if I'm breaking down and analyzing all of your points.
it's cool im starting to think you didn't read my post very well either since you can't grasp that Melee is not changing as a game physically *zero patches ever coming*
You don't need patches to keep a game fresh. The meta is still constantly evolving as people find physics exploits, mechanics, combos, character-specific tech, and everyone strives to get closer to the skillcap.
of course people change up play styles that doesn't mean the game is changing because it will always be the same game and disc with no balance patching or anything
We don't need balance patches; the game is fine as it is. Instead of frantically trying to learn 50 MUs for every character that you play, we can focus on the same 12, learn the MU in and out, and spend more time learning to advance our own play rather than worrying about countering other's.
the same wavedashing exploit *which sakurai said he would've patched out if he could*
Because it's a mechanic that deepens the gameplay and makes it have more of a competitive nature. Sakurai has spoken out against the competitive community numerous times, so him taking it out of future games and adding the new ledge mechanics, new infinite airdodges, and favoring defensive play is in line with his agenda.
and people using Fox and Marth all day.
If you knew anything about the game you would know that statement isn't true. People are still finding tech and things about the game (the last-port priority one-frame chaingrab advantage and Z powershielding comes to mind), the MU chart is only a few years old and everyone everywhere agrees that it's horribly out of date and hugely inaccurate, and there is a large push to make a new tier list, as there are some spot changes that have taken place in the past two years since the last one. In addition, if you look at the top 5 people in the world, they have these mains:
  1. Fox
  2. Falco
  3. Marth
  4. Shiek
  5. Peach
  6. Jiggs
and in addition, wreck people consistently with literally any character in the game. Name any character and I can link you to a match where a notable person is using him to completely dominate an opponent. It's true that there are only 12-ish characters that are viable at the highest tournament level, but there are still low tiers that can do really well at regionals. If you say that there are no changes ever happening, then you're sorely wrong; Leffen has been trying to slay the gods of Melee for a solid couple of years and has now taken matches off all of them (cementing his spot fairly high), Hax recently retired because of hand problems, M2K has dropped the game (he went to Sm4sh because his hand problems wouldn't let him keep up with Melee) and is trying to get back into it, a Yoshi has invaded the top 20, and sets of nationals are always making people amend their top 10 Smashers list and change favorites. Quite honestly, this is the best time to be in the Melee community and some consider it the "Golden Era" of Melee.
A Melee superiority complex is what I was already talking about, no need to reiterate.
Actually, if you go back and look at the statement, I reiterated Melee's Superior complexity in its game design. I'm glad you agree that Melee's a more complex game.
Also hardly not belonging in the FGC when it is technical and the tech is growing cause you know it's only a year old and you act like you have it figured out when you don't, not to mention it always will be changing in the future since it actually has patching and support.
Yes quite, if you find any significant tech, Sakurai will take it out with the next patch, as he wishes he could do with WD. Also, your game won't continue being balanced forever; it will only last as long as the company makes DLC.
You may be newer in the FGC but ive seen it before people try to cling on to older games of a series and eventually without patching they go stale and tournaments drop it from the venue or make it into a side tournament.
Before we got back to EVO in 2013, Melee was on the brink of death. The difference between those fighting games and Smash, though, is that they have good successors that have at least a shred of competitiveness.
Also I'd like to see you attempt to master a technical character like Link or Sheik and actually win something instead of huffing and puffing about Melee like it's so much better.
I'd like to see you attempt to master a technical character like Fox or Falco and actually win something instead of huffing an puffing about Sm4sh like it's so much better. I don't think you understand how fast Melee is in comparison to Sm4sh; the game speed is twice as fast, timeouts are a rarity (only like Puff/Peach dittos on DL every once a millennium), and the tech skill is off the charts. Once you can actually beat someone decent in Melee I might accept your analysis on the game, but right now you sound like someone who hasn't ever tried to play it competitively.

Also, you can't dispute that the tech skill required for Melee is nowhere NEAR the tech required for Sm4sh. It's a well-known fact.

Meister Zeigler

Smash Apprentice
We’ll ya see, the thing is I play an actual fighting game with actual combos, footsies, and tech that I also compete in, so I don’t feel the need to play Melee in order to feel good about playing an SSB game, get over yourself kid. :chuckle:

rrAWR

Smash Rookie

Today, the eSports division of the tech giant HTC made a special announcement - the HTC Throwdown! The HTC Throwdown is a major Super Smash Bros. Melee tournament that will happen on September 19th at the Folsom Street Foundry in San Francisco, the same venue where the popular "Get Smashed at the Foundry" tournaments take place.

Thanks to HTC, the tournament boasts a hefty $12,000 prize pool, which includes $10,000 for singles and $2000 for doubles. Additionally, many top players are confirmed to be attending such as [A]rmada, TSM | Leffen, C9.Mang0, COG | MVG | Mew2King, Liquid`Hungrybox, Tempo | Westballz, Tempo | Axe, MacD, HugS, PG | Plup, Silentwolf, WFX | Shroomed, CLG.PewPewU, and SFAT.

Sign-ups and details for the tournament can be found here on smash.gg. For updates on the event, stay tuned on social media to HTC eSports (Facebook, Twitter) and Showdown (Facebook, Twitter).

Pokemon64ism is very happy to see HTC directly supporting Smash, and excited for the HTC Throdown. You can follow him on Twitter @ pokemon64ism pokemon64ism .

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
will their be any age restrictions
I've never seen age restrictions at a Smash tournament. Maybe at Kings of Cali (which is in a bar), but I'm not sure if even that had age restrictions.

Top Bottom