• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North HSS: FRIDAY NIGHT SMASH

HSS: FRIDAY NIGHT SMASH
Posted by SeanS
Deer Park, NY
Friday, February 12, 2016 - 06:00 PM
Until: Friday, December 11, 2015 - 08:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: America/New_York)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/New_York

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

BLi!TZ

Smash Rookie
is registration on friday to? anD i wanna bring the wii u set up is there any deal for that?

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
is registration on friday to? anD i wanna bring the wii u set up is there any deal for that?
1. Yes, at 5:00 PM EST, but you can also pre-register on the Facebook event listings that we post to the HSS and Long Island groups.

2. The reward for bringing your setup is that you get to have a good local. You'll help us meet our schedule without any issues and you'll help everyone play friendlies while bracket is still going on near the end.

Last edited:

nedskii-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nedskii
Switch FC
6236-0030-3158
I'm in for future ones! Just moved out to Riverhead? Any one near the area to do friendlies?

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
It's FNS' 30th event, and DLC has just come out for Smash 4. It's the dawn of a new era for LI Smash.

And with that, I have several announcements to make.

Firstly, we plan on immediately legalizing Cloud and letting you play the buffed / nerfed characters.of v.1.1.3. If you are bringing your setups (I hope you are), be sure to have as much of the new content as you realistically can! Our local will be that much better with your help.

Secondly, I am aware of several people who are beginning to bring in lagless setups and Wii Us to our tournies, and our tournies are running faster as a result. As a result of this and other factors, I am pleased to announce that, on select nights (I will make the judgment call), we will offer a doubles side-bracket to those interested! I can only do so much to create the right circumstances for it, but if we have enough setups and time, I will do my best to make it happen. I look forward to this in the near future!

Lastly, for the biggest announcement: by popular demand, and in consideration of the minimal impact future DLC will have on SSB4's metagame, FNS has a new stage list and stage banning system! I've done my best to benefit all kinds of playstyles while removing "jank", unreasonable gameplay slowdown, and a noncompetitive feel to play. The stage list is as follows:

Standard: Battlefield, Final Destination*, Smashville
Counterpick: Dreamland, Lylat Cruise, Town and City, Omega Onett**

1 BAN IN COUNTERPICKING PHASE

* May be substituted for non-walled Omega (e.g. Omega Gaur Plain) with the consent of both players.
** Is not banned by banning FD. May be substituted for walled Omega (e.g. Omega Wily Castle) with the consent of both players. However, Omega Boxing Ring is banned due to the peculiarities of its ledge.

I'm confident that the vast majority of our attendees will be pleased with the new stage list - it's got enough variation to allow for strategizing while strongly ensuring skill is the main factor in wins. I hope it satisfies!

Lastly, a Q&A for the confused, curious, etc.

Q: Do I need Cloud and all associated DLC?
A: It's strongly preferred, but not strictly necessary, since others will certainly have it. The exception to this rule is the newest patch, which is a necessity.

Q: What if I want to play a DLC character that my setup does not have?
A: Please notify me at once.

Q: Will you always have doubles?
A: No. I can only offer a side bracket for confirmed singles attendees because the consistency and time limit of our venue conditions are low.

Q: Are there any specific doubles rules or considerations?
A: The prize payouts are subject to my discretion (most likely winners-take-all) because of the probable bracket sizes. Other than that, there are no particular rules I have for doubles outside of those that are in singles.

Q: What prompted the stage list changes?
A: I had meant to change the stage list for a while due to popular demand (which I fully agreed with and supported), but was waiting in consideration of how DLC could affect the game. Since I knew as of yesterday that DLC would not affect the SSB4 metagame stage-wise, I knew that I had to take action now.

Q: Why did you remove Halberd, Delfino, Castle Siege, and even Duck Hunt? (Stage) is / are allowed by (ruleset goes here)!
A: After an extended evaluation period of these stages, I am confident, as a TO and competitor, that all of these stages are over-the-top in their noncompetitive elements, character privileging, play-slowing, "jank", and so on - and I know for a fact that many players share this mindset at all levels of play; indeed, before I changed the stage list, I never heard the end of it! I believe the best kind of competition in Smash comes from relatively even playing fields, and I also believe that we have enough stages in the current stage list to meet that definition. A quantity of stages does not make for a quality stage list, as I'm sure most will agree.

Q: What's your opinion on Lylat?
A: It is without a doubt the "jankiest" stage on the new list, but I believe it is an enjoyable wild-card counterpick. Nothing it does is over-the-top, like shooting cannonballs at players, allowing for early deaths, or allowing for excessively safe camping. What "jank" it does have , in my current and admittedly changeable understanding, is extremely consistent in behavior and perfectly understandable in the heat of competitive play.

Q: What's the deal with Omega stages?
A: One of the considerations I had in a jank-limiting ruleset was that players of all levels would feel like they have too few stage choices, particularly casual players or flat-stage lovers who relied on Duck Hunt for a legal FD-esque. I also considered that, in a one-ban ruleset, flat-stage lovers could always have their preference taken care of via a FD ban while those who wanted platforms (BF-likes) or easy recoveries (Animal Crossing stages) had a guaranteed CP. To remedy these issues, I've opened the floodgates on Omegas, despite their ultra-slight blast zone differences, and separated them based on the overall structure of the stage. I'm sure this will be a lot of fun for everyone and a great boon to competitive play!

Q: What if I don't agree to the Omega my opponent suggests?
A: You and your opponent must select the stage initially listed. While you may consider a refusal of Omega selection somewhat disrespectful (i.e. some people legitimately have trouble seeing on FD, or just like certain stage music), I permit it because blast zone and friction standardization and such are a legitimate concerns in competition.

Last edited:

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
It's FNS' 30th event, and DLC has just come out for Smash 4. It's the dawn of a new era for LI Smash.

And with that, I have several announcements to make.

Firstly, we plan on immediately legalizing Cloud and letting you play the buffed / nerfed characters.of v.1.1.3. If you are bringing your setups (I hope you are), be sure to have as much of the new content as you realistically can! Our local will be that much better with your help.

Secondly, I am aware of several people who are beginning to bring in lagless setups and Wii Us to our tournies, and our tournies are running faster as a result. As a result of this and other factors, I am pleased to announce that, on select nights (I will make the judgment call), we will offer a doubles side-bracket to those interested! I can only do so much to create the right circumstances for it, but if we have enough setups and time, I will do my best to make it happen. I look forward to this in the near future!

Lastly, for the biggest announcement: by popular demand, and in consideration of the minimal impact future DLC will have on SSB4's metagame, FNS has a new stage list and stage banning system! I've done my best to benefit all kinds of playstyles while removing "jank", unreasonable gameplay slowdown, and a noncompetitive feel to play. The stage list is as follows:

Standard: Battlefield, Final Destination*, Smashville
Counterpick: Dreamland, Lylat Cruise, Town and City, Omega Onett**

1 BAN IN COUNTERPICKING PHASE

* May be substituted for non-walled Omega (e.g. Omega Gaur Plain) with the consent of both players.
** Is not banned by banning FD. May be substituted for walled Omega (e.g. Omega Wily Castle) with the consent of both players. However, Omega Boxing Ring is banned due to the peculiarities of its ledge.

I'm confident that the vast majority of our attendees will be pleased with the new stage list - it's got enough variation to allow for strategizing while strongly ensuring skill is the main factor in wins. I hope it satisfies!

Lastly, a Q&A for the confused, curious, etc.

Q: Do I need Cloud and all associated DLC?
A: It's strongly preferred, but not strictly necessary, since others will certainly have it. The exception to this rule is the newest patch, which is a necessity.

Q: What if I want to play a DLC character that my setup does not have?
A: Please notify me at once.

Q: Will you always have doubles?
A: No. I can only offer a side bracket for confirmed singles attendees because the consistency and time limit of our venue conditions are low.

Q: Are there any specific doubles rules or considerations?
A: The prize payouts are subject to my discretion (most likely winners-take-all) because of the probable bracket sizes. Other than that, there are no particular rules I have for doubles outside of those that are in singles.

Q: What prompted the stage list changes?
A: I had meant to change the stage list for a while due to popular demand (which I fully agreed with and supported), but was waiting in consideration of how DLC could affect the game. Since I knew as of yesterday that DLC would not affect the SSB4 metagame stage-wise, I knew that I had to take action now.

Q: Why did you remove Halberd, Delfino, Castle Siege, and even Duck Hunt? (Stage) is / are allowed by (ruleset goes here)!
A: After an extended evaluation period of these stages, I am confident, as a TO and competitor, that all of these stages are over-the-top in their noncompetitive elements, character privileging, play-slowing, "jank", and so on - and I know for a fact that many players share this mindset at all levels of play; indeed, before I changed the stage list, I never heard the end of it! I believe the best kind of competition in Smash comes from relatively even playing fields, and I also believe that we have enough stages in the current stage list to meet that definition. A quantity of stages does not make for a quality stage list, as I'm sure most will agree.

Q: What's your opinion on Lylat?
A: It is without a doubt the "jankiest" stage on the new list, but I believe it is an enjoyable wild-card counterpick. Nothing it does is over-the-top, like shooting cannonballs at players, allowing for early deaths, or allowing for excessively safe camping. What "jank" it does have , in my current and admittedly changeable understanding, is extremely consistent in behavior and perfectly understandable in the heat of competitive play.

Q: What's the deal with Omega stages?
A: One of the considerations I had in a jank-limiting ruleset was that players of all levels would feel like they have too few stage choices, particularly casual players or flat-stage lovers who relied on Duck Hunt for a legal FD-esque. I also considered that, in a one-ban ruleset, flat-stage lovers could always have their preference taken care of via a FD ban while those who wanted platforms (BF-likes) or easy recoveries (Animal Crossing stages) had a guaranteed CP. To remedy these issues, I've opened the floodgates on Omegas, despite their ultra-slight blast zone differences, and separated them based on the overall structure of the stage. I'm sure this will be a lot of fun for everyone and a great boon to competitive play!

Q: What if I don't agree to the Omega my opponent suggests?
A: You and your opponent must select the stage initially listed. While you may consider a refusal of Omega selection somewhat disrespectful (i.e. some people legitimately have trouble seeing on FD, or just like certain stage music), I permit it because blast zone and friction standardization and such are a legitimate concerns in competition.
Sounds good! Hopefully I will be able to come to one of these soon, maybe in January. I love the changes to the stage list, especially duck hunt getting banned (ducks block Toon Link's projectiles). I wasn't too sure on the Omega onett rule, but now that I saw your reasoning, I can accept it as its own stage.

Only one thing keeps bugging me... do I absolutely need to use the facebook pages to get the newest information or can someone put updates in this thread?

PoketrainerGabe

Smash Rookie
NNID
Darkraifan00
I might try to join but I need to know is
•What is the venue Fee?
•Is there gonna be a stream?

I hope I can make it ^~^

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
Sounds good! Hopefully I will be able to come to one of these soon, maybe in January. I love the changes to the stage list, especially duck hunt getting banned (ducks block Toon Link's projectiles). I wasn't too sure on the Omega onett rule, but now that I saw your reasoning, I can accept it as its own stage.

Only one thing keeps bugging me... do I absolutely need to use the facebook pages to get the newest information or can someone put updates in this thread?
Hope to see you - Long Island needs a Toon Link player quite badly!

I will confess that Facebook is the main medium that we communicate to attendees with, but I've been relatively consistent in making sure the major announcements, such as the one you've just seen, are listed here. In general, we are always having a Friday event unless I fail to post to Facebook for that week, and see all the replies to this thread very quickly. If you have any issues, you can communicate to me here, though you may find that to not be necessary in the long run.

I might try to join but I need to know is
•What is the venue Fee?
•Is there gonna be a stream?

I hope I can make it ^~^
Venue fee is $5 and the prize pool fee is the same, so you'll be paying $10 total.

We do not currently stream, but we have plans to make it possible in the very near future - perhaps as soon as this or next week if we're lucky. If you are worried about being "featured" when we do this, or perhaps want to be "featured", do not hesitate to talk to me about it. Or, additionally, if you are curious about the level of play here, we feature everyone from your average casual player to nationally ranked talent.

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
Hope to see you - Long Island needs a Toon Link player quite badly!

I will confess that Facebook is the main medium that we communicate to attendees with, but I've been relatively consistent in making sure the major announcements, such as the one you've just seen, are listed here. In general, we are always having a Friday event unless I fail to post to Facebook for that week, and see all the replies to this thread very quickly. If you have any issues, you can communicate to me here, though you may find that to not be necessary in the long run.
I can't see myself going until January, with Christmas and holiday season and all. But then again, that's only 2 weeks. How many participants do you get each week (on average)?

Tyler Ruziak

Smash Cadet
Why are gamepads not allowed? Me and my friend use them and just wodnering considering jumping to different controllers can affect your playstyle.

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
Why are gamepads not allowed? Me and my friend use them and just wodnering considering jumping to different controllers can affect your playstyle.
For the record, it is in practice more of a soft ban in our venue than a real one. We've often allowed gamepad players to use the gamepad.

There is only a logistical issue when there are two gamepad players matched up - this is not possible to allow in-game.

For this reason, I strongly recommend against using the gamepad, and it is technically banned; though you are free to use it if your opponent doesn't also want to.

Last edited:

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, due to a variety of circumstances, I nor anyone else will be available to host FNS this week. Certain life priorities come first and everyone who knows me should know that I would host whenever possible. I apologize for the inevitable disappointment.

Tyler Ruziak

Smash Cadet
wait a sec u host tournaments every week? (Hope your life priorities go well for you. Good luck man)

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
Well I'm ****ed then XD
Haha, well, he wins when he shows up. There is some other high talent that goes (Mr. E, Raptor) but I'm sure there would be enough awful people like me to go around.;)

Honestly though, there is a very good mix of talent every week, coming some time would definitely be worth it.

Last edited:

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
Currently, I would expect attendance in the 30s of people (occasionally 20s or 40s) - and strangely, we've gotten significantly different crowds every time it happens!

You can quite literally expect everyone ranging from your standard casual gamer to people who could make an impact at national tournaments. Your chances of winning are quite low even on the days with less of the best attending, but your chance of having fun and getting something out of the experience is very high.

Last edited:

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
Hope you enjoyed the event! Remember to come back next week, the week after, etc.!

Last edited:

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
NOTE: The latest patch for the game will be used. And, as per tradition, we will allow a DLC stage (in this case, Umbra Clock Tower) to be a legal counterpick. Please update and download new content for any consoles you are bringing accordingly!

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
NOTE: The latest patch for the game will be used. And, as per tradition, we will allow a DLC stage (in this case, Umbra Clock Tower) to be a legal counterpick. Please update and download new content for any consoles you are bringing accordingly!
With this new legal stage, will you replace the walled omega stages with it as a legal counterpick?

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
With this new legal stage, will you replace the walled omega stages with it as a legal counterpick?
No, we are just straight up making it legal for a day. The point is to really analyze the stage first before doing any stagelist building.

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
Are Mii Fighters legal? If so, do you require special moves to be set to 1111
Yes and yes. We are a customs off tournament where all characters are treated equally, regardless of any technicalities that may encourage favoritism.

Please use a fighter generated from a guest Mii if you intend to use these characters.

Last edited:

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
******IMPORTANT!!!!!!******

Please update your setups to the newest version of Smash 4! The newest patch, v.1.1.5, contains multiple balance changes with a significant effect on the game. We will be the first venue on Long Island supporting the new meta!

NateP825

Smash Rookie
With Play n Trade closing, will FNS end or will you be looking for a new venue?

Top Bottom