• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How'd you choose your main?

AirFair

Marth tho
I picked Marth because I liked how fluidly he could combo people (especially spacies) in the air. After watching Ken and Mew2king play Marth in the documentary, I liked Marth even more, so I became a Marth main. Also I think the Ken combo is the dopest thing ever.

Born in 1839...

Smash Apprentice
In 2005, when I first unlocked G&W, me and my sister were like, "Look a really old cartoon character!" After seeing his attacks, he was even better. :gawmelee:

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
I've always been a bit of a "juggler" when playing Smash Bros and when I found out that Marth's moveset basically encourages you to keep your opponent in the air, he instantly became my main. Marth is the reason I got interested in competitive Smash and was the first character that I actually wanted to get good with. Playing as Marth also helped me finally beat all the Event Matches, so he's definitely the character I have the most skill with.

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
My little brother has been maining Link since the dawn of time, but my big brother, little sister and myself were always set on either Kirby or Pikachu. It was getting pretty tiring eventually, so I looked around for another character to settle for. I knew, based on my earlier mains, that the attributes I was looking for was a quick and goofy character with nice air game, so naturally, my first nominee was Yoshi. I tried it out, and I could feel how well we clicked. Once Brawl came out, I experimented a bit with Lucario and Pokémon Trainer (mainly Ivysaur), but decided to stick with Yoshi.

Ever since, I can feel that Yoshi truly is meant to be my mascot when it comes to Smash: a genderless, silly (yet absolutely adorable) fellow who seems to be enjoying themselves, even when staring death in the face... only to flutterkick that death until it begs for mercy mere moments later. This is something I can always see myself as in Smash contexts.

Abaddun

Smash Cadet
So it all started out when my friends brought over SSBM, a Gamecube, and a few controllers..i immediately picked Marth cuz he had a cool sword...but he wasn't the character i wanted to main...after playing marth for about 2 weeks i moved to dr mario..i really enjoyed pissing off my friends with the pills. Mained doc for about 3 weeks then from there those were my 2 characters of choice..i then learned about wavedashing and started destroying my friends with wd fsmash with marth and wd dsmash with doc..it was op,...few months later i met 2 smashers 30 mins away from my town,Shaqfu and 2Sexy, from that day on we began training nearly everyday in 2Sexy's hyperbolic time chamber. I dominated them one random day when i picked falco because i was getting bored with doc/marth. From that day i mained falco for months and months until I got bored of being the best of my group and took a long smash break. Months later I went to a mini smashfest hosted by JY. My two buddies were there and this good marth Blackstreetboy..i bopped them all with Falco,Marth,and Doc and then considered myself the best..i then took an even longer break, but when i came back..i was getting bopped my nearly all of them...they had gotten better and more patient..this somehow made me quit Falco and made me start to not have a main..i would hop from sheik to marth to fox..i soon became confused on how i got so behind..IT WAS BECAUSE THEY ALL STICKED WITH THEIR MAINS...i soon picked sheik as a temporary main (because she was the easiest) and started to train hardcore...a week later i went house to house dominating all of those who once beat me before..i was determined to regain my greatness. From there on i used sheik as my main, took her to a few Mayhems, a couple SSS's, Koc4, and Evo..i accomplished nothing too spectacular with Sheik though...still i continued to use Sheik until one random day, i had decided to take LSA which was nothing at first..till i puked..after i had puked i felt an amazing sensation in my head...i quickly rushed over to Shaqfu's house and went all Falco..i dominated him, barely losing any matches..couple hours later we went to a smashfest and I was on fire..only losing to ThePhenom (best G&W imo)...and from that day on continuing to this very day, i have been faithful to the bird that helped me achieve glory. <3 FALCO..
P.S shoutouts to The Phenom and Aceflight for being my awesome teachers.

Last edited:

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
i chose fox not because he was top tier but because he was fun and suits my playstyle of being ultra agressive. The other 2 are just for fun, but if it's a serious match im choosing fox. Also at the time i choose fox i had no idea who was where in the tier list.

El_Mariachi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
El_Marvinho
I like watching the pros play and my favorite is Ken. Because of him it interested me in starting to use Marth. My former main was Captain Falcon. Ever since then I haven't looked back. I love the combos I pull off with Marth (Ken combo feels so satisfying). My other main is Falco and I started using him because of the Bombsoldier videos.

Flooters

Smash Rookie
I was showing this kid I was babysitting melee because he loves pokemon. I picked a random character that happened to be Ganon, I fell in love with him right there and then. It was beautiful

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
When me and a friend agreed to start playing Melee competitively, I immediately declared "I'm maining Falcon." However, Falcon was too unwieldy for me having come from Brawl. His short hops and fast falls were difficult, never mind wavedashing and l-canceling. So I picked up Marth because Marth is a generally cool character without needing any intense tech skill. So I learned to wavedash, waveland, and l-cancel consistently with Marth, declaring him my main. Then one day I was hankering for a knee, so I played Falcon. At that point, my tech skills had grown to the point where I appreciate his weight and could play him the way I wanted to. Maining Falcon was something I felt I knee'ded to do, and now I've done it.

But now it's friggin' hard to play Marth.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Why did this double post.
How do I delete posts.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I picked up Jigglypuff way back when Smash 64 came out (I was 5 I think) and after I unlocked Jigglypuff I started using her a lot because Sing to Rest seemed really good at the time. So my love of the character carried over to Melee and the Rest is history.

I also played a lot of Dr. Mario for no other reason than loving the NES title.

Last edited:

Yurika

Smash Rookie
I was an 8 year old when my very first Judgment activated hit Number 9. From that point on, I've been a faithful Game and Watch for 12 years.

Last edited:

vexoskeleton

Smash Apprentice
I'm maining Marth cause when I started playing and was looking for a character to use I found that I wasn't very found of the spacies, Shiek is interesting but I wasn't feeling her, & falcon, who i was the most interested in, wasn't quite the character for me. So when I tried Marth I found the play style you can use with him suits me best and he also is a lot of fun to use.

Sarej

Smash Cadet
Jigglypuff was easy to play and I felt that rather than having an uphill battle with Falcon I would be better to take the intelligent route and choose Jigglypuff since I found her style to suit me.

Last edited:

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
Being a big Nintendo fan it was only natural for me to choose Mario as my main. I like his versatility.

AlphaQHard

Smash Apprentice
I started by playing Math because his sword was cool and i saw mew2king playing him. I didnt like his move set because i couldnt play aggressively how i wanted so i stopped playing him. I didnt put alot of time into Marth.

Tier list affected my 2nd decision on a character. I liked Fox's moveset and speed. I also enjoyed how fast the timing for wavedashing was compared to most of the characters. Learning to shorthop with Fox was a trip because i never had the fastest fingers in video games, but eventually i learned. My fingers cramped on me when playing fox and in the heat of battle i couldnt short hop on command.

I put alot of time into Fox and now i'm thinking about switching to Captain Falco Lombardi for his easier shorthop and almost identical movset

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
When I started playing in 2003, I chose Pikachu because I was six and loved Pokemon Yellow and Silver more than any other games. Then, I had my neighbor unlock Roy and mained him for a while because he had red hair (like me), a cool sword and everyone in my neighborhood thought he was the best character in the game. Then, in 2007 when I discovered Roy wouldn't be in Brawl, I switched over to Falco. As it turns out, Brawl was worse than Melee, so I just went back to Melee after a couple years. Now, I have Falco as my main and Pikachu as my secondary because I never completely dropped him.

Crawfiish

Smash Cadet
My options were Marth, Doc, and G&W. I found I won more matches with Marth than any other character, so I playedhim

Last edited:

DeepDish

Smash Apprentice
Dr. Mario's gimps are so fun. I love going low to edge guard with a back-air, and it just looks funny when characters get turned around with the cape and they are just left helplessly falling.

dyl0n

Smash Rookie
Started out playing Falco earlier in the year before I REALLY knew how to play the game, toyed around with Marth at the same time just for the hell of it, saw how ridiculously fast and technical you need to be if you wanna play a Space Animal and said eff that, dropped Falco, went to Marth and never looked back. I'm glad it worked out the way it did. In hindsight, Marth always felt a little more natural for me to play, then in doing my research and watching the documentary really put the nail in the coffin.

Sketch

Smash Cadet
I'm still so new to the competitive scene that i don't know if i have even found my main but i go on how a character feels. But i started with Shiek cause i liked the needles and her tech chasing . But shortly after i played peach learned the basic things and just enjoy her gimpability and downsmash of course. But i also have dreams of becoming a good falco cause he just puts on a show with his combos with the "best neutral game" in the game.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
I was originally a Marth main, but not for very long. I came home one day after school and started messing around in Melee. I decided to use Kirby and I was messing around when I started to really like Kirby. I started discovering stuff you could do with Kirby and I decided to put time into using it. I played a bunch of netplay, attended a few tournaments, and I became a Kirby main. My goal is to become the Axe or aMSa of Kirby, because I believe Kirby has potential.

Top Bottom