• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How'd you choose your main?

booty hunter

Smash Rookie
Watching King back in high school inspired me. The fact that all my friends hated playing against Jigglypuff just solidified it.

ctr

Smash Rookie
I used to always use Mario just because he was ****ing Mario but when Brawl came out and I was KOing people left, right and centre with Ike after choosing Random, I never looked back.

Gillmatic

Multifaceted Lacerator
I played Roy almost exclusively until I saw the documentary. Something about how KDJ was able to dominate Ken with Sheik just inspired me to play her because no one had ever beaten Ken like that. Also Wife said something about Isai's Sheik being broken as ****. And then I started playing Sheik and comboing the **** out of everyone and it was too fun :)

MR.GAME AND WATCH GUY

Smash Cadet
NNID
HelloImAToad
3DS FC
3368-3416-0761
Simple to show how god like G&W is why because high trier characters are fun to watch at times but unexpected is always super hype!

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
When I first got the game in 2001, I played casually of course and started unlocking all of the characters. I would "main" the character I had just unlocked. I believe I unlocked Falco last and so I would always play with Falco. He had a gun and a really high double jump and who didn't think side-b was a cool attacking move back then? Plus I loved to spike people

Then I was at some summer camp where there was some kid who asked me if I played melee. I said yeah of course, I'm really good blah blah. He asked me if I knew what the difference between falco's and fox's shines were and I had no idea. And then he asked me if I knew what pillaring was. I had no idea so when I got home, I looked up videos (circa 2007) and saw Overswarms tutorial. I was amazed with Falco's "flashy" pillaring combos and I was hooked. I started to learn tech skill and then I stopped for a bit because I could only practice by myself. Then more vids started to emerge on youtube, like the genesis1 vids and wombo combo and m2k vs shiz 4... All those vids made me want to pick up the bird again and I solidified all my tech skill and applications. Fast forward to genesis 2, Mango DESTROYS Taj's Marth with his Fox in loser's finals. For the first time, it made me think that Fox was better than Falco and so I slowly started to play more Fox. But I was still more confident with my Falco. Fast forward again to the beginning of 2014. Started entering the competitive scene and then played one person who was noticeably better than me and told me that I had potential and that my Fox was better than my Falco. So I made the permanent switch. I still like playing Falco for fun.. and in pools because Falco is fun but then I go Fox in bracket c:

I play all the top tiers in friendlies though, Falcon dittos are my ****

Gillmatic

Multifaceted Lacerator
When I first got the game in 2001, I played casually of course and started unlocking all of the characters. I would "main" the character I had just unlocked. I believe I unlocked Falco last and so I would always play with Falco. He had a gun and a really high double jump and who didn't think side-b was a cool attacking move back then? Plus I loved to spike people

Then I was at some summer camp where there was some kid who asked me if I played melee. I said yeah of course, I'm really good blah blah. He asked me if I knew what the difference between falco's and fox's shines were and I had no idea. And then he asked me if I knew what pillaring was. I had no idea so when I got home, I looked up videos (circa 2007) and saw Overswarms tutorial. I was amazed with Falco's "flashy" pillaring combos and I was hooked. I started to learn tech skill and then I stopped for a bit because I could only practice by myself. Then more vids started to emerge on youtube, like the genesis1 vids and wombo combo and m2k vs shiz 4... All those vids made me want to pick up the bird again and I solidified all my tech skill and applications. Fast forward to genesis 2, Mango DESTROYS Taj's Marth with his Fox in loser's finals. For the first time, it made me think that Fox was better than Falco and so I slowly started to play more Fox. But I was still more confident with my Falco. Fast forward again to the beginning of 2014. Started entering the competitive scene and then played one person who was noticeably better than me and told me that I had potential and that my Fox was better than my Falco. So I made the permanent switch. I still like playing Falco for fun.. and in pools because Falco is fun but then I go Fox in bracket c:

I play all the top tiers in friendlies though, Falcon dittos are my ****
Is it possible to unlock falco after GW?

Gillmatic

Multifaceted Lacerator
You know, I was actually questioning myself while I posted that. It might have been because of vs matches? But I just remember playing Falco a lot lols
Oh ok haha. Falco is hard to resist...imo the most fun top tier character to play (I love pillars so much). Sheik will always be my main though :)

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
Oh ok haha. Falco is hard to resist...imo the most fun top tier character to play (I love pillars so much). Sheik will always be my main though :)
It's pretty weird how I know KDJ because he goes to my local tournament scene - and he's the one that inspired you to play sheik.

burntfish44

Smash Cadet
Way back in the day it was link/younglink/ganon/zelda sometimes. Pretty much all the LoZ franchise people. Never touched Marth (just didn't get how he worked, roy was better clearly cuz he could k0 people).

Then when i got into competitive smash it was brawl - and Mr. R inspired me to pick up marth, and i learned brawl marth, then a few months later my eyes were opened to the 9001x better game which is melee/pm and i found out the awesome combo potential of melee/pm marth, especially watching the robot play, and definitely ran with it. I've had doubts on my marth because I'm still climbing the ladder of being the new person only played for a few months against people that have been playing for 10 years, but is all good I just need more time and practice

CheapMovieMonster

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendaryLink17
3DS FC
1891-1579-9718
I remember I used to main fox until I managed to unlock Roy and Marth. I wanted to use Roy because I thought it was cool how he had flaming sword attacks, but my BROTHER would always complain because he felt like he would get confused on who's who since he also wanted to use him so I pretty much got forced into using Marth.
Jokes on him though since Marth made it into the future games and Roy didn't. >:U

Raise

Smash Rookie
Captain Falcon has always just been the most satisfying character to knock people out of the stage with. He's fast, flashy, and fun to watch kick and knee people around.

Walbytamer11

Smash Apprentice
http://i.imgur.com/iwhZi.jpg Replace that with Melee and that's really it. Loved playing with fox's speed and he grew on me. This was years and years ago and now I main him along with his feathered friend. I'm just fortunate that they're some of the best characters in the game.

LilBro

Smash Rookie
Everything about Falco seems cool to me, from his moveset and combos to how he looks and talks.
Mission COMPLEAHIHU

Morgue

Smash Cadet
I followed my brother's footsteps for the longest time, love him to death. He got me Metroid Fusion for the GBA (Never played a Metroid game before) and I fell in love with it. I can't count the number of times I played through it. Fell in love with Samus, end of story. I will forever be loyal to her.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Yoshi's been my main since I was four. Because I was four, and he's ****ing Yoshi. I've always been used to the basics of his fighting style, so I've always been the most comfortable with him.

Mewtwo, my secondary, is partially because it's one of my favorite Pokémon, but I only started taking him up seriously in recent years because I wanted a surrogate for SSF2 Goku, with the teleports and the hard-hitting projectiles/smashes. I still can't quite get the hang of his lag, though, so my Mewtwo right now is still just a handicap.

Last edited:

Tik

Smash Rookie
I used to always use Mario just because he was ****ing Mario
I (sadly) did this is a child as well, which is a heavy shame, as now I can easily grasp how much I missed playing melee.

As for my main, I remember a few years back coming across the term "sand-bagging" while randomly browsing the internet. I got pretty curious about who Isai was, as it had listed him as one of the key suspects. To my surprise, I ran across a couple of his matches for smash 64 and fell in love with how fun it looked.

When I eventually stumbled across videos of competitive melee, I was entranced by how crazy people were over Falcon.
I started playing him a while later, and I've never gone back.
He's just too... perfect.

Booster

Smash Lord
*Looks at Marth, Roy and Game and Watch*

Kid Me: Who the **** are these guys I'm not playing as them, that blue haired girl looks weird with short hair and the black guy's graphics are glitchy*

*Actual Thoughts back in 2002 when I first played

Now onto the Main Character Story

Kid Me: HOLY **** MEWTWO!!!!

Last edited:

Hero-King

Smash Rookie
I loved the FE series ever since I played my first one (Fire Emblem advance) and then it spilled over into Smash Bros. Once I started getting into competitive Melee and saw advanced Marth plays from M2K, PP, etc, I was ecstatic!

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
Back before I owned the game and just played at peoples' houses I mained Samus because spamming the charge shot was good fun. Years and years later (2009 or 10), I decided to main Roy because he looked cool. I soon realized he wasn't very good and Marth was not only better but easier to use as well. To this day, I am a proud Marth main!

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
When i was a kid me and some friends used to mett everyday on a game store to play SSB64. We used to play FFA no items on SectorZ and the top 2 (who lives and most kills) would keep playing and the other 2 would have to move to the queue and wait their turn again. At that time there was a great guy playing fox. I needed a way to live longer or i needed to be a killer to keep on playing. I buzzed my father until he bought the game from a friend of his and started seriously learning every character so that i could pick one. And i found my monster : JIGGS ! She had a great recovery (even when you don't know the neutral b tech) and as soon as i had perfect timing with rest i became a killer.
Moving to melee i tryed jiggs again but couldn't perform the original combo: dair > upthrow > rest so i had truble playing her overall. Looking for a similar character (not kirby) i found peach was pretty floaty as well and could do some fun gimmicks so i started practicing her and now i feel very comfortable playing peach as well.

Kintae

Smash Rookie
To be honest, unlike many of you, I only started to play melee a while go. I played a bit before, but advanced gameplay what completely out of what I played it for.

When I picked up Melee, I saw the documentary "The Smash Brothers", and assuming you've already seen it, I saw at the end that Mang0 was a beast at Fox, so I wanted to play him so bad. I beat my friends all the time with him, until I met another guy who beat me as Samus just nairing me all the time, so I got really pissed and thought my Fox was terrible, and never built on him again. I really wanted to get better at that point, so I looked up streams and I don't remember which tournament it was but I saw Abate playing Luigi really well.

I knew the best characters were only Fox, Marth and Sheik and thought nothing else. But this guy was playing a Fox and just wrecked him so hard. I was really confused. I checked the tier list, and Fox was the best character, and Luigi was not even on the same level as him. I looked up Abate and saw how fluent and strong Luigi can be, and started to pick him up.

I learned WDing, Teching all that good stuff with Luigi, and no matter what game, Luigi is still my main.
I cry evertiem 5evr

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I played Zelda ALTTP and Ocarina of Time, and the Zelda series became one of my favorite Nintendo franchises.
When I started playing Smash 64, I used Link.
after a while, I discovered the Kirby series.
Especially Kirby's Dreamland 3, I instantly fell in love with that game... "It's like Yoshi's Island but even better looking", those musics, those characters... it was incredibly fun and cute, and the dark matters/zero were awesome, my favorite enemies ever.
Because of this, I decided to leave Link and use Kirby. Kirby became my main character in Smash 64 and for a while in Melee too.
Then I started realizing that Kirby was nerfed in Melee. I came back to Link.
I played Zelda Majora's Mask, and it became one of my favorite games as well... in Melee there was Young Link, and obviously I switched from Link to Young Link.
After a long time using Young Link, I decided to return using Kirby, and I discovered that using Kirby I had a lot more fun.
I used Kirby for a year or 2, then I discovered that Link can defend himself from explosions simply crouching and using the shield!
I returned to Link for a short time.
Then Brawl came out.
"If Geno is in, goodbye to Kirby and Link, I'll main him" - obviously he wasn't in.
But in Brawl I used Link, Sonic and Kirby almost on the same level (just Kirby a bit more frequently).
After some months, I returned playing Melee, because Brawl bored me with all those gimmick stages and awkward physics.
From that day, I used Kirby as main and never changed again... but I slowly started to learn other characters at the same time. Kirby is still my main, but sometimes I also use Falcon (Not the bird, the one with the legendary Knee), Yoshi and Bowser. I left Link simply because I have not so much fun with him.
Who cares if Kirby is weak, it's more satisfying when I win using Kirby!

Last edited:

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
I just play every character equally, and gradually determine which one will be my main. Most often, it's the same character that I have the most skill using, the one I like to play as the most, and the one whom I feel has the most potential for me to win matches.

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Mine isn't as happy sadly. Being disabled my hands just don't let me l-cancel properly, and I knew I'd never hit high levels in Melee. When I learned Mr. Game and Watch can't actually l-cancel all of his moves and wasn't crazy high on the tier list it was a match.

Jiggle4Life

Smash Ace
Mine isn't as happy sadly. Being disabled my hands just don't let me l-cancel properly, and I knew I'd never hit high levels in Melee. When I learned Mr. Game and Watch can't actually l-cancel all of his moves and wasn't crazy high on the tier list it was a match.
Which of G&W moves can he not l-cancel this is blowing my mind lol I never knew this

LudwigKoopa

Smash Cadet
NNID
Moostache15
Marth because he's got a sword and has the moves I like.
I originally chose Samus because she's a badass, but I was never too good with her. In PM I was able pick her back up and like it more.

Ting Sing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CADANAMAN
I think it was some Youtube videos that made me want to try Captain Falcon. And it was definitely SilentSpectre's Falcon that intrigued me most. I played as everyone back in the day, even Pichu was one of my favorites. Back before I didn't even know what a tier list was. But once I watched SS and learned all the advanced techniques, I learned everything with Captain Falcon. He just feels the most natural to me.

DavingTheWorld

Smash Rookie
NNID
DavingTheWorld
Honestly, I needed a character with a great jump recovery because I'm terrible at returning to the platform. With Pit, I didn't even have to consciously think about recovering because it was so uber. I know that they are balancing that out, but man, those were the good times. Oh wait, they still are lol.

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
I can hardly remember when I first started playing Melee and chose my main because I was so young, but IIRC Mario was the first character that I played when I booted up the game, because I had intended on trying out all the characters. Eventually I didn end up playing all of them, and I would just go back to Mario because I knew his moveset so well and I really enjoyed playing as him. He was simple, yet smooth and efficient.
When I discovered competitive Smash, I decided to give Falco a try in Melee because of how he seemed to be so good. I liked Falco as well, and for me he felt a lot like a more powerful, faster version of Mario. I learned basically all of the advanced tech with Falco, and I'm glad I did because apparently it was a good idea since hes so tech heavy compared to other characters. But even after playing Falco so much and learning all the techs I went back to Mario out of curiosity to see how I could do with him, and was discovering all of these new techniques and combos that I had never done before with him. And even though I loved playing as Falco, Mario was still the character that was so natural to me and every time I would say to myself that Falco was better, I just couldnt resist going back to Mario.
Now that I've been playing and training for a few months (I unfortunately do not have a consistently working copy of Melee) on Project M and seeing how much better Mario is it makes me love him even more. I hardly ever play Falco anymore. I played with some guys at a local college and I tried out my Falco to see how I would do, and I'm pretty sure I got 4 stocked, but for the rest of the time I was using Mario and Roy and I did quite well. So now, Mario is just my go-to guy. I just love playing as him, and I love the Mario games too, so it was kind of like a... beautiful accident :)

Young Rinku

Smash Cadet
I chose my main in Melee because when I was younger and I played through Ocarina of Time, my favorite playing times were with Young Link in game. I always loved the beginning of the game and all that you could do with him (Castle Town, Epona, Zora's Domain), and I also loved Majora's Mask as well (even though it scared me when I was young!). My dad actually made a Deku Shield and wooden Kokiri Sword for me so i could go around as him, so when I first played Smash (5th grade I believe?), I saw him and instantly went with him. I do not regret it a single bit, as now I get to run around FD bombing, boomeranging, and nairing my opponents around it.
That's why I picked Young Link.

IceyBeef

The Supreme Beef Lord
3DS FC
5069-4117-1821
Well how I got to choose my main was very complicated. I started watching smash vids of spacies withh ppmd I was like holy **** I wanna someday do that. I tried fox and I sucked because He was too fast. Tried puff for a while, he was too slow. At this point I gave up on smash untill I saw sheik vids from m2k. Sheik was the perfect character for me. His moves were amazing against anyone (except ice climbers I hate playibg against them). Since then Sheik has been my main. :D

Top Bottom