• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How your own sentimental mentality can help decide your gaming preferences

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
Hello all, I am ThaRoy, a teenage kid who got the game at midnight opening night and has only stopped playing to either discuss Brawl with others or because he played it so much that his Wii overheated 3 times in the past 24 hours and almost exploded. It seems that since Brawl has just come out, only the more hardcore fans have gotten their hands on it...and even then only the ones who are older then 16 so they could drive to get it opening day and buy it. Unless you got a ride from a parent or friend, a Sunday is a tough day for many kids. So it seems that in the time of the posting, many people shall have yet to even get the game yet. As such, I have written a little thread to discuss how to identify yourself as a player before playing the game so you can truely go into the game and immerse yourself in the most oppurtune and enriching experience that shall best suit your own style. As such, I have made a "questionaire"-esque quiz with rhetorical questions.

First off, ask yourself the following question: What physical position do I play videogames in? I personally sit down with my legs folded "pretzel" style or I am in the frog stance. However, my brother plays standing up. If you play standing up and something bad happens that you don't approve of, you are prone to a more physical response since your muscles are stimulated enough and supporting your mass. As such, this could result in pulling a wired controller, if you are using one, out of the Wii among other things. However, if you sit in a more calmed position then you could slouch and as such cause your controller to get a tad slippery of prespiration and grease or any other substances or physical residue. Now, what does knowing what physical position you play in help benefeit the Brawl experience? So you know which controller you should use and abuse. If you enjoy standing up, I suggest a wireless controller...however if you sit down then a more shaped controller would work. As such, I use the Wii Classic as I enjoy the sleek design as I usually sit straight up and thus my center of gravity is balanced so my fingers slide across the controller. If you enjoy being active and moving about, perhaps the Wii Combo is the best. However, if you are comftorable and wish to use the Gamecube controller then by all means enjoy. However...the Wiimote controller should never be used. Now that you know what physical aspects there are to the controllers...you should know what the gaming aspects are.

Now, ask yourself this: How do my physical hand proportions and external actions effect and reflect upon my controller decision. I personally am slightly overweight as I have a medical condition that--eh it's not important. I am a fatty. However, I have a condition to restrict blood flow to my hands and feet so I have thin fingers and thus have to use physical excersize to keep my hands from becoming weak and breaking. As such, my fingers and hands are very developed and I have extreme coordination with them, so the tendancy to use something where all of the "face" (key) buttons are located in a prime position is important. If you have long and skinny fingers and enjoy having the ability to slide your fingers across the buttons to hit them at a fast pace, the Wii Classic is for you. If you enjoy to have your fingers and hands grip the controller firmly and the button proportional to the usage of the individuals in a balanced ratio, the Gamecube controller is for you. If you enjoy a middle ground, then the Combo is for you. The final controller question will wrap this aspect up...

The last controller-related question is as follows: how should I customize my control scheme. You need to keep the following in mind, one of your hands is slightly more nimble then the other even if you are coordinated with both. As such, you must keep a balance of weight distributed to how you press each button. Do not stack one side with the buttons you mash a lot, keep them equally distributed so you can use both sides of your brains rather then straining one. Personally, I use the Classic Controller with the Right Bumper being the shield command and the Left Bumper being the grapple command. This is also my prime choice if I would use a Gamecube controller, the buttons feel the same size so my initial reaction would smash them...having two buttons do the same function is un-needed if you could substitute it. As such, keep this in mind and realize what key commands need to be accessed at the most opurtune times. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Now that you can make a self inflicted judgement on your control scheme, learn your character style. I have devloped three different categorie of the gaming mentality of every gamer that follows as such: tactician, strategist, and junkie. If you are a tactician then you have the ability to analyze and understand given situations and view all of the pieces and variables and predict and apply everything you know to the scenario. A strategist knows patterns and concepts and practices them and is able to execute the commands and combonations for maxiumum effect in even the worst scenario...and as such relies on that. A junkie is someone who knows how to play the game and what the commands are, but goes in and does everything on a wing and acts on complete instinct and doesn't "waste" time analyzing but rather executing. None of the three mentalities are more superior, rather better in their own way. I am a Tactical Junkie, able to game in the Junkie mentality but has always used straight up tactics to govern my decisions. As such, my instincts always govern actions but they are complete influenced by my tactical mentality...so I act on my pure tactical mentality. Understanding what you are is important to apply them to the character.

So now, what mentality are you? Each of them corresponds to one of the different categories of character archtypes. A tactical mentality usually optimizes characters who have a balance between speed and power, not revolving around hard hitting or fast hitting moves that either KO quickly or damage incredibly high but rather those who combo well and can do medial damage and toss the opponents around at average distance. These characters always have a huge variety of techniques. A strategtical mentality often optimizes and takes the advantage of a character who has the ability of hard hitting techniques and deals heavy damage and KO's quickly. These characters always have a few intense attacks and the rest of the style builds off of those moves. Finally, a Junkie favors the faster characters who can deal damage the fastest. These characters always rack up the damage percentage faster then anyone else and then will use a decent move to send you flying but rely on using and abusing small techniques faster then anything.

Now, this is where the questionaire stops. You have now established which physical and mental aspects you utilize to game properly and now what your own mentality is and how it corresponds to the characters in the game. Now I shall list the applicable attributes of each of the three mentalities.

A tactician favors characters who:
-Can combo well
-Have a wide and diverse movepool
-Have good aerial and aerial-based attacks
-Has a good throw
-Has a recovery which focuses on moving your character into others or other places
-Has a high jump
-If of middle weight and size

A strategist favors characters who:
-Has a few incrediblly strong moves
-Has moves which can set up for the stronger attacks
-Has a short range
-Has a recovery which does intense damage
-Is of heavy weight and size

A Junkie favors characters who:
-Have a projectile attack
-Moves very fast and can jump well
-Has a recovery that can cover a lot of distance
-Is of light weight and size
-Has an aerial meteor smash at their disposal
-Has a very good roll
-Is quite agile in air and on the ground
-Has techniques which can cover a lot of distance very fast

Tactical characters are:
Lucas
Ness
Marth

Strategic Characters are:
Captain Falcon
Donkey Kong
Ike

Junkie Characters are:
Fox, Falco, or Wolf
Meta Knight
Pikachu
Pit

Now that you have read, I hope you can give me criticism and your own oppionon on my post. This is my first truely "informative" post which is designed to explain my own philosophy to help with pre-game decisions that can help someone go into the game and find a style which works in conjunction with their own sentimental mentality rather then their indefinate and undefined gaming preferences. It's all about learning about yourself, rememeber: Crawl before you can Brawl.

-ThaRoy

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
Well written. I enjoyed it. I do not agree with falco being put into the "Junkie" category, however. For this reason: Junkie classification includes:

-Moves very fast and can jump well
-Has a recovery that can cover a lot of distance
-Is of light weight and size

:laugh:

hOmeb0i

Smash Rookie
i just need clarification on "tactician" and "strategist", cuz a good strategy can be well executed with good tactics, know wut im saying? So tactician and strategist are kinda the same for me. ne body wanna clarify?
thnx in advance.

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
Well, keep in mind that I am not using the military terminology of tactician and strategist but rather loosely applying the words to fit the needed situation; alas the game itself. Yes tactics and strategy are intertwined and mesh, however the fact of the matter is that these are different then a military tactician such as Napoleon or the famed Genghis Khan. Sorry to not specify.

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
Well, I view a strategist as someone who utilizes characters with heavy hitting attacks...and there aren't any techniques that are very strong and long range. Take DK, good players use his meteor smashes and giant punch...all short range. Its just suiting.

hOmeb0i

Smash Rookie
Well, keep in mind that I am not using the military terminology of tactician and strategist but rather loosely applying the words to fit the needed situation; alas the game itself. Yes tactics and strategy are intertwined and mesh, however the fact of the matter is that these are different then a military tactician such as Napoleon or the famed Genghis Khan. Sorry to not specify.
haha cool thnx for specifying, like you said you weren't using the military terminology which on my part i assumed first, now everything makes sense, nice list :D

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
Did I state Marth as being under the strategical section or was she a specific Tactical example? These aren't anything official, just how I personally look at it...

Reading is a fundamental aspect of the internet

LuLLo

Smash Ace
ThaRoy, your career here on SWF is guaranteed to be good :p...Nice piece of text!!

Anyway, I play Captain Falcon, so that would make me a strategist?
(Not saying I'm a strategist just because I play Falcon, it's just a suited character for that style according to your statements)

But I disagree on that point, I think Captain Falcon belongs in the tactition part, Captain Falcon is ALL about combo's, he has a good variety of attacks, he has a good jump (high and long), he's middle weight (although the one most resistable to vertical KO's) and he has 2 good throws (which combo into Death Moves)...

As for myself, I try to lure my opponent into traps, attack them when they don't expect it and attack them when they DO expect it but fake out and punish them...Also I'm very combo-oriented, I always try to make a combo on someone when I punish them, and it works many, many times...

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
Thank you LuLLo...that means a lot ^_^

As for the Captain Falcon bit...for some reason I try again and again to use him...I can not seem to if my life depended on it. My main is Lucas...C.Falc for some reason does not allow me to use him! Thus, I viewed him as a strategic as his big move is Falcon Punch and Falcon Kick...a lot of his techniques allowing him to utilize these. As such, I figured users would have a similiar approach as if they would use DK, someone I use, and try to set up for a big punishing attack. Sorry for my assumption >_< I am quite embarassed, hope I didn't offend you or any other Captain Falcon users.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
I think it is better to describe an ideal player for such characters, rather than saying that is what the person is right off the bat. I am about to main Marth, but I am honestly a junkie due to my impulsive natures (I had intended to use Mario or Pikachu in the Gamestop tournament since Marth was not available), so I will obviously have to train myself to be a tactical person.

I also intend to use Pokemon Trainer (among other characters I want to play as). Would you consider Pokemon Trainer a strategist choice due to the ability to make temporary complete changes in battle strategy, or rate each individual Pokemon as falling under an ideal player?

So... I think it's possible for a human to work hard enough to adapt to a different style if he needs to, though I am sure most will prefer staying comfortable.

Also, I am actually quite comfortable with the Wiimote + Nunchaku, because it allows my arms to rest on things while playing. Unfortunately, the luxury ends there since I am used to playing with a Gamecube controller. On top of that, I tend to play in my computer desk instead of letting myself be comfortable in my bed because I like to be near the internet.

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon trainer I consider a Strategic Tactician...one of the very few...simply because the options are endless and to main it you need to practice so hard! It's 3 characters in ones, the only other Strategic Tactician, I consider, is Olimar.

thefindingmoon

Smash Cadet
i really want someone to analyze pokemon trainer(PT) really well i use him and i believe each character is one of the three types of characters tacticaian=ivysaur Strategic=Charizard and Junky=squirtle. I'm best with squirtle and i want some comment on how to use these guys well. I also belives ivysaur is a bit of a Strategic. what are your comments and opinions of this character/s

ps. i feel i am a junkie most of the time but when i use peach im more of a tactician any comments:

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
For help with PT, the character specific PT board has an amazingly well written and very thorough guide. I'd start there...however I personally agree that as three seperate characters the pokemon fit the different mentalities...but using that mind set is not a winning one. You must realize that it is but one character, Pokemon Trainer using three separate avatars to suit his needs. Using this mentality allows you to flow and use rhythmic patterns to mesh your fighting and form one fluid style. I have not gotten the chance to truly play with PT, as when I truely play with a character I spend hours researching, experimenting, and applying him in such a variety of situations and am working on perfecting Lucas. As such, I can not shed any personal information about PT except for why I view him as a Strategic Tactician.

The strategy behind the PT is taking advantage of the ability of Pokemon Swap. Not only does it make you invulnerable when you switch out, it resets the variable amount of spammed attacks as they diminish to their default numerical value: 0. Basically, if you spam techniques they weaken over time, there is an equation that truly exemplifies this better. As such, a lot of the PT metagaming utilizes this ability as well as the ability to have 3 completely unique characters at your disposal.

Each of the Pokemon fit one of the three mentalities' qualities, but do NOT view them as such. The character is Pokemon Trainer, not the individuals. I can not stress that point enough, you MUST learn that and use that train of thought or your fighting will be very...poor in the aspects of adapting. Adapting and applying is a tactical approach...however following several concepts helps govern those responses in terms of metagaming.

Finally, the in-depth analysis is as follows: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142987

Top Bottom