• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How would you play if you could not shield or roll/spot dodge

pitthekit

Smash Ace
I been playing like this and it taught me to space really well and have proper timing also teaches me how to not go at the wrong place at the wrong time. So how about you play a match without these defensive measures to see how well you do? Discuss.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I did and then realized I was playing melee

pitthekit

Smash Ace
the only time i shield is when I dash away and shield so i don't get grabbed or hit. of course if i know I cannot frame wise counter my opponent (I am looking at you meta knight) , of course if they dash grab I would have to do something oos.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
This is a good idea. I tried this the other day because I realized I always roll in order to change direction (regardless of my position in relation to my opponent) rather than just pivoting or changing direction after an aerial attack. I seemed to come out of the roll just in time for an attack to land or for my spacing to be ruined. Playing matches without allowing myself to shield, dodge, or roll helped develop my pivot and spacing proficiency and added some extra unpredictability as well.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Learn to play Ganon and you know what it's like to not have these options!

:059:

juicysmash

Smash Rookie
I mean, it took me a while to even implement using shields in my gameplay at all. When I play most games, I ignore shielding all together (Dishonored for example). But when I started to play SSB more heavily I realized it's almost necessary to use it all the time. Don't get hit.

To answer the question though, I would definitely play if shielding and dodging didn't exist. People would find different ways around it, making it a much more challenging way to play. If anything, I think this brings up a cool game type where each person changes their shielding options (L/R) to something else. That way, each player would need to find other ways of defensive play without camping and not attacking.

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
I would love that. Dodging is annoying and I only shield against drill attacks like Mach Tornado or Jigglypuff's down air.

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401

Jackson

Smash Lord
Uh... sorry to interrupt the chain of 'exactly' , but I agree that it would definitely be interesting. I shield all the time, but i never really spot dodge. I would like to get good at spot dodging, because it's quick, but my timing isn't the most precise.

Top Bottom