• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How would you make Dedede OP?

3bubby

Smash Rookie
As much success I have with King Dedede, I feel he could use some upgrades. Don't take these points too seriously, I'm just having a little fun.

Down Special should break shields

Super Armor UpTilt

Down Smash spins Dedede's hammer twice

Longer lasting hitbox on dash, or ability to bury opponents.

Spiking Fair

Ability to inhale gordos

Ability to exhale items

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Ability to inhale gordos

Ability to exhale items
I'm just laughing at the thought of inhaling a fully charged aura sphere from a heavily damaged lucario, then spitting it back at his face. It would be like villager's pocket! Also, can't Dedede already inhale gordos as long as they are in the right spot?

dreamastermind

Smash Cadet
I'd also like the Jet Hammer to help break sheilds. It's already not to hard to do with a gordo and forward smash, but I'd be nice to have more choices.

randomguy1235

Smash Apprentice
- Increase damage on all moves by 2%

- Down special has substantial shield damage and charges much faster
- Inhale has a set distance that opponent is launched (for dedecide shenanigans :4dedede:)

- Dair has a much larger hitbox with no sourspot

- Utilt has larger horizontal hitbox

- Reduce start/end lag on all moves.

Last edited:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I actually think inhaling and spitting out projectiles back at opponents should be implemented. Fits the character and would help with Dedede's huge weakness - projectile spam. The lag on the animation would of course have to be reduced from what we have now with the swallow animation so it's actually useful.

Kinda hard to make Dedede OP with his huge hurtbox. I guess stupid damage, knockback and frame data.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
In more semi-realistic terms....make the lag of all his moves about 25% shorter, and give Gorodos resistance to damage up to 8%

MeteorSpike

Smash Cadet
Give him Jiggs' aerial mobility...or at least "better" air mobility, like increased air speed and/or acceleration

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Also in reality:

D3 has a bunch of weaknesses - no safe offensive options, easy to combo due to size, lack of non-read-based kills after 90%,
and difficulty against "lame" zoning play. Any buffs should directly address these points. Some hitboxes need fixing - Usmash and Fair specifically - and it'd be awesome if Fair/Bair had more of a hitbox closer to D3. Various frame data improvements would be awesome too (our Jabs seriously need help). But otherwise, three of my main ideas:

1. To scare opponents who normally would just shield everything: a killthrow/kill setup from throw a la Donkey Kong. IE: Dthrow -> Uair connecting til kill %s. This alone would do wonders for the character.
2. Fair to come out faster, have less endlag, and autocancel on shorthop. As it is, D3 has a huge weak zone in the air in front of him. If we could suddenly threaten with a fast, safe, and disjointed move (like Ike) it would be huge.
3. Gordo's reflect threshold to be raised to 6%+. The reflect mechanic is really interesting, but it needs to favor D3 more. A random Falco laser shouldn't hit the Gordo back. Opponents should need to invest just as much as D3 does percentagewise with the reflect game. This would be huge for some matchups like Duck Hunt, where Gordo would just eat the projectiles, while in no way being an untouchable barrier (it's so easy to shield/dodge through it already). But this would force opponents to respect D3 at distance and think more carefully about how they might approach - IE what every mid+ tier matchup is already.

We can look for a Jet Hammer buff, but honestly the move is just terrible overall and I'd rather have something like a killthrow setup. A guaranteed followup after Inhale would also be great, but same answer as before.

Last edited:

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Someone called for Ike's Usmash's frame data to be replaced with Mario's Usmash's frame data in the "Make Ike OP" thread. I'm sure this kind of change would apply just fine for the King, though :cool:

Last edited:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
How about we start by combining all Jet Hammers so it'll be an okay move?
Seriously. Or better yet, just get rid of it. Dedede already has his Fsmash - so I find another very slow, laggy, yet hardhitting move right in front of him completely redundant in his moveset.

RandomLax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RelaxBro
3DS FC
3668-7762-8508
Also in reality:

D3 has a bunch of weaknesses - no safe offensive options, easy to combo due to size, lack of non-read-based kills after 90%,
and difficulty against "lame" zoning play. Any buffs should directly address these points. Some hitboxes need fixing - Usmash and Fair specifically - and it'd be awesome if Fair/Bair had more of a hitbox closer to D3. Various frame data improvements would be awesome too (our Jabs seriously need help). But otherwise, three of my main ideas:

1. To scare opponents who normally would just shield everything: a killthrow/kill setup from throw a la Donkey Kong. IE: Dthrow -> Uair connecting til kill %s. This alone would do wonders for the character.
2. Fair to come out faster, have less endlag, and autocancel on shorthop. As it is, D3 has a huge weak zone in the air in front of him. If we could suddenly threaten with a fast, safe, and disjointed move (like Ike) it would be huge.
3. Gordo's reflect threshold to be raised to 6%+. The reflect mechanic is really interesting, but it needs to favor D3 more. A random Falco laser shouldn't hit the Gordo back. Opponents should need to invest just as much as D3 does percentagewise with the reflect game. This would be huge for some matchups like Duck Hunt, where Gordo would just eat the projectiles, while in no way being an untouchable barrier (it's so easy to shield/dodge through it already). But this would force opponents to respect D3 at distance and think more carefully about how they might approach - IE what every mid+ tier matchup is already.

We can look for a Jet Hammer buff, but honestly the move is just terrible overall and I'd rather have something like a killthrow setup. A guaranteed followup after Inhale would also be great, but same answer as before.
I like Soul Train a lot, he speaks the truth and is a really helpful guy around here. These wouldn't make Dedede OP but rather help him become a viable character. I honestly think we need to do something to make it known that Dedede needs some changes and we as the players/community want them. I was talking to a friend and discovered that the Samus boards have a video up suggesting buffs for their character. I think that we should do something like this to get the attention of Nintendo (A "squeaky wheel gets the grease" type deal).

Silly Symphony

Smash Cadet
NNID
scoota100
a) Gordo's should ignore missiles, like they do in Kirby games and more shield damage. This would shut down lame projectile campers while still encouraging them to reflect Gordo with melee attacks.

b) I would give Jet Hammer less knockback, same damage output and shield-breaking qualities. D3 has as only super-heavy trouble actively doing shield pressure, so like Gordo's, there needs more shield punish.

Put (a) and (b) together and Fsmash finally has good use. Fsmash only hits when the enemy makes a colossal mistake or when shields are broken, in any other case it's too slow.

d) Give dash attack super-armour, the move is already slow (unlike in Kirby games where D3 falls in a split second), so I'd say giving D3 at least one reliable super-armour move is fair. This, too, would shut down projectile campers.

e) Make nair come out slightly faster.

I think these suggestions really hammer (pun intended) D3's shortcomings: being able to get in and kill.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
I like Soul Train a lot, he speaks the truth and is a really helpful guy around here. These wouldn't make Dedede OP but rather help him become a viable character. I honestly think we need to do something to make it known that Dedede needs some changes and we as the players/community want them. I was talking to a friend and discovered that the Samus boards have a video up suggesting buffs for their character. I think that we should do something like this to get the attention of Nintendo (A "squeaky wheel gets the grease" type deal).
Thing is, in Japan, they think in the opposite way. They say "The nail that stands up gets hammered down."

RandomLax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RelaxBro
3DS FC
3668-7762-8508
Thing is, in Japan, they think in the opposite way. They say "The nail that stands up gets hammered down."
I'm just saying Nintendo has to know that that have effectively made Dedede (and many other characters) un-viable for tournament play (due to awful frame data, ground/air speed, and inability to deal with projectiles). The community asked for Diddy and Shiek nerfs, and it happened. We already lost grab armour, giving Sonic free reign to rush Dedede down. I'm just saying. I love this character, and its a shame he can't compete with "high level top tier" playstyles.

Last edited:

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
I would be so pissed off if we finally got a buff and it was only to jet hammer. I would literally sell my Wii U

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I would give all of his Smashes Super Armor so he will be just as annoying as Little Mac is. :awesome: (Obviously joking)

Last edited:

Endurrr

Smash Cadet
utilt gets same kill power and properties as marios usmash, frame 3 nair, heavy armor jet hammer, heavy armor gordo throw, jab jab grab/dsmash true combo, better horizontal mobility, fair autocancel, dash attack superarmor, up b insta breaks shields, fsmash does more shield damage, much less endlag on usmash and dsmash, dair autocancel and comes out faster, dthrow uair connects at kill percents

OP enough?

ExiaPilotDedede

Smash Apprentice
utilt gets same kill power and properties as marios usmash, frame 3 nair, heavy armor jet hammer, heavy armor gordo throw, jab jab grab/dsmash true combo, better horizontal mobility, fair autocancel, dash attack superarmor, up b insta breaks shields, fsmash does more shield damage, much less endlag on usmash and dsmash, dair autocancel and comes out faster, dthrow uair connects at kill percents

OP enough?
I'd actually rather see his utilt be like Mario's utilt that I could just rack them up to 30-40 damage with a locking combo.

Top Bottom