• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How would you feel about a unoffical Project M 3.6.1 build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildPtr

Smash Rookie
I guess this kind of topic doesn't belong in the GD so I'm re-posting this here(not sure why the thread wasn't just moved) In my opinion I think PM 3.6 could be more polished, because currently there is some issues in it right now (ex. Bowser, Ganons Nair etc.), but if there was to say someone did an unofficial update and tweaked some of the lower characters, no nerfs, just small buffs, that are needed. How would you feel? Because I would want to know the response the idea receives, since I got my own psa modified characters of mine that I personally tweaked, based off of some of the complaints players had with that certain character. Or is the whole idea dumb because nobody cares since it's unofficial?

Last edited:

blerb

Smash Journeyman
It will never replace 3.6f. Simple as that. It's a shame considering some of the persisting glitches, but that's the way it is.

Maybe somehwere down the line the remaining PM community can decide on whether to include the 3.61 character balance changes in order to iron some of the issues out, but any "unofficial" stuff will likely never be used for tourney play.

Vaughm

Smash Rookie
My opinion i would definetly play PM 3.6.1(or any other name) because people should still keep moving/evolving PM, yes the PM dev team have stoped doesn't mean we as a community shouldn't.
Especially when people are poshling the game or adding and finish the forbidden 3 characters

All I am really saying the Smash Community should stop saying this is the final game because the PM dev team stop making the game, we as a community should continue this game.

Last edited by a moderator:

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
My opinion i would definetly play PM 3.6.1(or any other name) because people should still keep moving/evolving PM, yes the PM dev team have stoped doesn't mean we as a community shouldn't.
Especially when people are poshling the game or adding and finish the forbidden 3 characters (Knuckles, Lyn and Isaac)

All I am really saying the Smash Community should stop saying this is the final game because the PM dev team stop making the game, we as a community should continue this game.
It's not that simple. Do you know about the "New PMDT"? They disbanded faster than they were made.

Javln Mastr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Modernlykos
3DS FC
3823-8516-1685
Lol I was following the news when this new group came on the scene. I laughed when they announced they disbanded, only like 2 days after its inception. They got way ahead of themselves.

Besides the point, this topic has already been discussed to death tbh. It's not gonna happen, at least at this point. The community is simply in favor of 3.6f at this point, especially community leaders like the former dev team, TOs etc.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
It's gonna take a lot for that to work. For starters, it would need some sort of hub like PM Underground and a clear leader (even if the rest of the team helping stays in the shadows). Second, the subreddit rules would need to change allowing discussion of it, but that's highly unlikely since I know some ex PMDT are adamantly against that idea.

Spryly

Smash Rookie
I'd probably stick to just creating a build of PM and not advertising it as 3.6.1. It just creates confusion and controversy.

Unless your mod is that good, I doubt it would reach really high usage.

Vaughm

Smash Rookie
It's not that simple. Do you know about the "New PMDT"? They disbanded faster than they were made.
I didnt know about that PM dav team, but it doesn't mean as a community we can't finish/polish PM as a Game

Last edited:

WildPtr

Smash Rookie
I'd probably stick to just creating a build of PM and not advertising it as 3.6.1. It just creates confusion and controversy.

With stuff like Knuckles, Isaac, and Lyn, using their content probably wouldn't go well. The best solution would be to create new clones without outright using the original coding, maybe using the PMDT's work as a reference but not an edited copy. Ex-PMDT don't want others using the leaked content for likely legal reasons, so making something anew would likely not mess with that, even if inspired.

Unless your mod is that good, I doubt it would reach really high usage.
I not even going to bother to include stuff from the leaked build if I decide to do something, this update would come exclusively from scratch, just based on well spoken complaints that have been on the wish list from the community and it would have to be just small psa stuff for balancing. But I have the same feeling as you do about the usage issue, heck even if it is good, It might just be ignored.

Sounds like they tried to bite off more then they could chew.

Last edited:

Protocol.Tin

Smash Cadet
I for one appreciate what was meant to be released, so I may be biased.

I suppose the case of legal issues it would be [barely] understandable, but I feel it's kind of up to us as a community to do what we love. Nintendo can **** around all they want about shut-downs, but what dinosaurs like them don't realize is this kind of community is a very passionate one, and seeing the new stuff done every while with PSAs, stages and such really gives hope for another big movement one day, a "real" PMDT that can be assembled. I do feel hopeful of improvements, official or not.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
All legality aside, it just wouldn't work. As someone who saw the "work" that took place for the two attempts to "finish" Project M, I can tell you the talent just isn't there. The PMDT were made by people who were true veterans of the brawl hacking scene (animating by changing bone rotations via numbers instead of the little ball you have nowadays) and had the work ethic to work at something until it was perfect. This ethic just isn't as prolific as it once was. Nowadays, people want results immediately and having to work at a hobby as if it was a job to make something truly great is very off putting to say the least.

As bad of an analogy it would be, it would be like trying to have people play SD Remix instead of Melee. Even though it's more balanced and stuff, it's not the same as the actual devs balancing the game. You can't really use the reasoning that the community can make it what it wants, the community are fickle and will want their mains to be buffed to high hell. You could argue that the PMDT themselves were part of the community, but there was a silent agreement that separated the PMDT from the rest of the community. Just like the divide between Nintendo devs and Smash4 consumers.

Just think of the remaining bugs as character specific tech.

WildPtr

Smash Rookie
As bad of an analogy it would be, it would be like trying to have people play SD Remix instead of Melee. Even though it's more balanced and stuff, it's not the same as the actual devs balancing the game. You can't really use the reasoning that the community can make it what it wants, the community are fickle and will want their mains to be buffed to high hell. You could argue that the PMDT themselves were part of the community, but there was a silent agreement that separated the PMDT from the rest of the community. Just like the divide between Nintendo devs and Smash4 consumers.

Just think of the remaining bugs as character specific tech.
Yeah um, Comparing Melee with PM 3.6 isn't really that great of argument really, one has been the same for over a decade, while the other one was an active rolling release that was still active until the disbandment.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
The whole point of the PMDT being in charge was that there wouldn't be (blatant) favoritism with balancing as they were the peoole in charge Allowing the community to decide what's best is literally asking for disaster.

For reasoning as to why I think this see: Brawl+

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The thread was locked because there is no place here on Smashboards to discuss this, not because it was in the wrong section. Do not re-make locked threads, regardless of the location.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom