• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How would I go about trying to find people to fight with?

Topaz Pikmin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Topaz_Pikmin
I've been trying to find some people to fight with for quite awhile.
The thing is, the way I enjoy playing Smash is finding a few players around my skill level and to constantly train with them. I don't know why, I guess I like to make friends with the people I fight than just just knowing them as "that guy who used Diddy Kong against me for 3 matches".
It's a weird playstyle, I know.
The problem is, it's been really hard to find said people.
I tried posting a thread in order to try to find at least some of those people who I could spar with.
But it must've gone against some rule because a moderator asked me (he was nice about it though) to try to find those people on a thread suited for finding those people and turned off replies to the thread.
The problem is the thread I was recommended to was filled with them, so the chances of me getting a sparring partner was pretty much as likely as the person coming to that thread pulling my name out of a hat.

Can someone recommend a way for me to for me to find those people to fight against?
I would really appreciate it.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Chances are you've been referred to these Threads already by the sounds of it, but I'm gonna mention them anyways:

There are Threads specifically for this kind of thing on SmashBoards for both the Wii U and 3DS. I've used the Wii U one pretty often and while yes, I didn't always get a response I did still get quite a few people willing to Smash me. I found tons of nice people in that Thread to Smash with that were either my skill level or higher. I'd advise you to use said Threads even if you may not always get a response.

Patience does go a long way.

Another method you could use is perhaps messaging members here asking them if they're up for a Smash session. Look at their Mains and see if you think they'll be a good match for you. I've gotten at least two or three messages from other Members during my time here randomly asking me if I'd be willing to Smash them, so I don't think it'd be that odd to approach someone in such a manner.

Other than that, there's a place called Anthers Ladder (however I think that's more geared toward Competitive Play) that's also a thing.

Topaz Pikmin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Topaz_Pikmin
Chances are you've been referred to these Threads already by the sounds of it, but I'm gonna mention them anyways:

There are Threads specifically for this kind of thing on SmashBoards for both the Wii U and 3DS. I've used the Wii U one pretty often and while yes, I didn't always get a response I did still get quite a few people willing to Smash me. I found tons of nice people in that Thread to Smash with that were either my skill level or higher. I'd advise you to use said Threads even if you may not always get a response.

Patience does go a long way.

Another method you could use is perhaps messaging members here asking them if they're up for a Smash session. Look at their Mains and see if you think they'll be a good match for you. I've gotten at least two or three messages from other Members during my time here randomly asking me if I'd be willing to Smash them, so I don't think it'd be that odd to approach someone in such a manner.

Other than that, there's a place called Anthers Ladder (however I think that's more geared toward Competitive Play) that's also a thing.
Okay, I was just worried that my post on the NNID sharing thread would be bombarded by so many other posts, that I'd get buried and forgotten and I'd end up with only 1 person actually stopping to consider sparring with me so I posted this.
In other words, I'm horrible at waiting for things.

Anyway, how would I go about finding specific people to fight on Anthers' Ladder? I'm very new to it.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Okay, I was just worried that my post on the NNID sharing thread would be bombarded by so many other posts, that I'd get buried and forgotten and I'd end up with only 1 person actually stopping to consider sparring with me so I posted this.
In other words, I'm horrible at waiting for things.

Anyway, how would I go about finding specific people to fight on Anthers' Ladder? I'm very new to it.
Again, patience is a thing. Members who also use that Thread to find opponents won't always be on at the same time you are and vice versa. Besides you could also answer someones post in those Threads as well if you are worried about yours getting ignored. Or, even better, you could message said person saying something along the lines of "Hey, I saw your post in the Opponent Finding Thread and I'd be happy to go against you" or something like that. That way if you miss them your message will be waiting for them when they get back.

Now, that doesn't mean message everyone and anyone, only the people you feel would be interesting to go against. It would also give you a good excuse to converse with and even befriend them as well, which sounds like what you are looking for. Wouldn't hurt to try really.

As for Anthers Ladder, I cannot say. I do not use it myself and just know it exists as a way to find more opponents.

Last edited:
Top Bottom