• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How will trophies be unlocked?

How do you want most of the games trophies to be unlocked?

• Brawl's Coin Launcher.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
In both Melee and Brawl, trophies can be unlocked by doing certain things, the objective of whcih are varied.

In Melee, most trohpies can be unlocked by putting coins in the lottery machine, and the chance that you would get a new trophy rather than one you already have relies on how many coins you bet on it. You can never tell what trophy you are going to get, and therefore it can encourage one to work hard to get all the trophies from it, but the lottery itself isn't very fun.

In Brawl, they added a unique coin launching game in place of the lottery machine. You shoot coins to obtain trophies, which can appear at random, what trophy it is being random as well, and move around in odd paterns, and at different, changing speeds. Plus, obstacles can appear and get in the way while you are trying to shoot a trophy. In Brawl, coins seem to be fairly easy to obtain, even for someone who hasn't been playing long, (it never took me long to get many coins, but I play this game often, including when I first got it) and the mini game itself is fun, but makes it a bit more difficult to obtain trophies. I mean, you can see the trophies before you can get them, but instead of relying on how many coins you have, it relies on luck, it can take ages for a trophy you don't have to appear, and the missiles that are randomly sent towards you just make you waste your coins, except for providing points for a meter which can allow you to shoot at rapid pace as well as causing several trophies to appear, but even then the group of trophies that show up are random, and therefore can STILL waste your coins altogether. The other obstacles that can be destroyed will sometimes give you a random sticker as well. Every SSE enemy and boss trophies are obtained by throwing a trophy stand at them, which will turn them into a trophy which can be picked up. And some enemies, as well as all bosses need to be weakend first, but you already know this.

So how do you think will most trophies be obtained in SSB4? The Lottery? The Coin Launcher? Which do you prefer, if either? Do you think they should use the less random, but dull lottery? Or the rather complicated mini game?
I still think they could come up with something better, less random,
but still fun. Anyone have any ideas?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
A new way almost certainly. The lottery was kinda dull (they should add the possibility of putting more money to have higher chances), the Coin Launcher was fine but too repetitive.

I would love to be able to exchange trophies via internet pokémon-style.

Capturing enemies with trophy stands was good but the enemies themselves were boring. Make them better or relevant to Nintendo next time and I won't complain.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I liked the snag the trophies minigame in melee. Trophies appearing in SSE was cool too. Maybe if instead of being random they can be set. So if you wanted to get a certain trophy you'd have to find that specific spot in SSE rather than crossing your fingers at the plentiful trophy drop locations.
For the rest, I'd be fine with them acting like the CDs in Brawl, appearing randomly in matches and such. The lottery was sort of lame and the coin launcher was neat but it was unnecessary.

If they take this route, they might just scrap coins all together or find a knew use for them. Like a shop to spend on unlockable skins, custom stage parts, stages etc. OR! have a system similar to the lottery but inserting coins increases the odds of trophies dropping in a match.
I'm just rambling at this point.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
A new way almost certainly. The lottery was kinda dull (they should add the possibility of putting more money to have higher chances), the Coin Launcher was fine but too repetitive.

I would love to be able to exchange trophies via internet pokémon-style.

Capturing enemies with trophy stands was good but the enemies themselves were boring. Make them better or relevant to Nintendo next time and I won't complain.
They already had the possibility of getting a new trophy by putting more coins in. Also, you mentiond the one thing wrong with the Coin Launcher that I didn't. Indeed, it was extremely repetitive, the same obstacles appearing over and over was unnecessary, the mini game doesn't last much longer than by the time the Blast Away! power up shows up before it gets boring.

I liked the snag the trophies minigame in melee. Trophies appearing in SSE was cool too. Maybe if instead of being random they can be set. So if you wanted to get a certain trophy you'd have to find that specific spot in SSE rather than crossing your fingers at the plentiful trophy drop locations.
For the rest, I'd be fine with them acting like the CDs in Brawl, appearing randomly in matches and such. The lottery was sort of lame and the coin launcher was neat but it was unnecessary.

If they take this route, they might just scrap coins all together or find a knew use for them. Like a shop to spend on unlockable skins, custom stage parts, stages etc. OR! have a system similar to the lottery but inserting coins increases the odds of trophies dropping in a match.
I'm just rambling at this point.
Darn it! It's been so long since I played Melee that I forgot about the Snag the trophies! _ _

Your idea would work well, particularly if they acted just like CD's as in once you got a trophy, that trophy wouldn't show up there again. As for the Shop, that would have a good use for coins, in melee they were only used for the lottery, while they could only be used for 2 things in brawl. (spectator mode was the only other thing they were used for) so a Shop idea would work well. Perhaps it could be used to buy stickers for the Adventure Mode as well.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
My idea involve Tom Nook and Redd Fox:
They appear ramdomly with their traveling little shops in some spots in the story mode, and just for the moment (if you play the same stage you found one of them, you wont find him again, but if you are very lucky you'll find his collegue in another spot). Tom Nook sell and buy stickers and average trophies, Redd only sell average and rare trophies, both at a very expensive price, and you can't tell if the trophy is average or rare.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'd probably say that a trophy shop would be an nice new element, but the Coin Launcher puts more effort into getting the random trophies.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I'd probably say that a trophy shop would be an nice new element, but the Coin Launcher puts more effort into getting the random trophies.
Then how about a game that ones in the luna parks where you have to slip a ring onto the prize you want or hit it with a ball?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I voted ''Melee trophy lottery''

''new way'' seems like a gamble...
Well even the Melee lottery was a gamble... /troll

Anyway anything new is still better. Why do you like the lottery so much? You just pressed a button and that's it. Whao.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I'm not familiar with Ikaruga, what's it like?
It's a great 2D space shooter for the Dreamcast. It's a spiritual successor to Radiant Silvergun, if you've ever played that. It's got great art design and actually expands the typical gameplay of most 2D shooters by using a light and dark mechanic. There are two enemy classifications: light and dark, and you have to press a button to shift your vessel between the two classes in order for your shots to damage the appropriate enemy. Likewise, enemy fire only effects you if you're the corresponding class. The game requires attentive reflexes in order to play.

I'd just like the trophy mode to be anything like Ikaruga or Radiant Silvergun in the way the mechanics work. That is, in the case we get something like the coin launcher again. I'd be fine with just having the lottery return.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'm not familiar with Ikaruga, what's it like?
It's a vertical shmup. It's main gimmick is the "polarity switching" or whatever it's actually called. Essentially you have 2 different types of bullets(Black & White), and your ship can switch polarity between black & white. A Black ship won't be hit by black bullets, and a white ship won't be hit by white bullets.

Here's some gameplay:

It's a great 2D space shooter for the Dreamcast.
It's also on Gamecube and XBLA. The DC version was Japan only.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Or Zelda trophies from games like the Oracles and Minish Cap. And Mother characters other than the ones that already appear in the game in some way (Assist Trophies, etc).

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Or Yoshi series trophies period.
Nintendo did put in a few original model trophies, like the golem from Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, and Fusion Suit Samus, but they still neglected characters from 2D Zelda games and Yoshi games. Of coures it would be cool to see those characters in 3D they shouldn't spend too much time on creating new models for characters already seen in 3D games unless they used some of them for characters or something like an NPC or an assist trophy etc. otherwise it might slow down the devolopment of the game. I have no idea how long it takes to create models though.

On a side note: I'd really like to see Fawful from the M&L series in 3D, be it a character, assist trophy or just a regular unlockable trophy even.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
The music.

Also, I second the Ikaruga shooter idea, as long as it doesn't become its own game in of itself and takes away significant development from the main game.
Well it won't be as good as Ikaruga, obviously. A lot more simple and easy, like that Wario Ware game. It could be developed by some house close to Nintendo but little, like Artoon I don't know, or Vanpool. Brawl too was a fatigue by not only Sora.

For the trophies, I still expect something like a new trophy every day for free like Layton's puzzles. So every week will feature puzzles from a different specific game maybe. Also I hope the descriptions are done by someone who actually knows what they're writing. Some errors in Melee and Brawl are just so random and stupid. Obviously this time around we'll have patches so well.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
LOL, That would be funny. Soooooooo, If I fuse my Mario trophy with the Fire flower trophy, I'll get the Fire Mario trophy? :troll: :laugh:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Probably! And if you mix the Fox Trophy and The Link trophy you obtain The Evil Keaton Trophy
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/139/c/c/keaton_by_rongs1234-d3gqi5j.jpg
Thought, if you mix the Evil Keaton Trophy with the Pikachu Trophy you obtain the Good Keaton Trophy:
http://th03.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/008/d/b/majora__s_mask__keaton_by_cojirou-d4lrmaz.png
Not working combinations will only end giving you money.
Do you know the game Little Inferno? It could work in a similar way.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Paying money to get trophies?! Seriously? You already have to pay for the game, you shouldn't have to pay for anything else. I don't even think I needed to explain that. It's just plain dumb. Is this a joke or something?

splat

Smash Lord
As I proposed in the other thread, when you have many samples of few trophies you may try to fuse them, somehow, to obtain new trophies.
I'm not too big on the idea of fusing trophies - but I like the basic idea of it. I'd rather see something appear that can alter trophies. Say, a new kind of sticker, or even a different trophy stand.

I can see it work perfectly:
(For simplicity, I'm going to go with stickers here)

You'd get a Mario trophy after finishing some kind of game mode with Mario. Then, there's these stickers that alter the trophy:
The Smash Ball sticker, that would change the Mario trophy into the Mario Finale trophy (Final Smash).
The Smash Button sticker, that would change the Mario trophy into the Mario Smash trophy (Standard Special).
The Magic Brush sticker, that would change the Mario trophy into the Mario Palette trophy (The various palette swaps of Mario, posed like Melee's Kirby Hat trophies).
The Kirby Hat sticker, that would change the Mario trophy into the Kirby Hat: Mario trophy.
The Taunt sticker, that would change the Mario trophy into the Mario Taunt trophy (Up Taunt).

I personally think it's a pretty cool idea, with plenty of room to go wild with ideas, yet still limiting it to a certain group of trophies (in this case, the playable characters). As for needing a bunch of Mario trophies - this problem could easily be avoided by implementing the market idea I've seen tossed around every now and then.

Top Bottom