• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How useful is the Claw method?

Will-O-Wisp

Smash Apprentice
So I've been watching a lot of professional gameplay lately and noticed that some players use the "claw", some don't, and some switch in between. What's the advantage of switching to claw? It feels very awkward to me...

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Some people switch to claw to easily perform some character specific moves. Some examples would be to use aerials with the C-Stick while maintaining the float as Peach, multishinning as Fox/Falco or SHDL as Fox as well and etc. But it all comes down to preference, some people will perform better that way, some don't; in the end if you think the claw-method isn't for you, then don't worry too much about it. I personally don't use it, I tried to for multishinning but I figured I'm better off without switching.

Last edited:

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
The claw method is the best way to play. The biggest reason being that you can easily perform frame perfect aerials, while maintaining full control of your DI. The only drawback with this method is that it is really difficult to learn.

I don't know how it affect most characters, but for Falcon it is a huge benefit. Frame perfect rising knees and uairs can hit a standing fox. With full control over your DI and timing of your aerials, you will be able to combo with deadly efficiency.

There are other ways to get these benefits though, one way that I know of, is using the lower part of your thumb for the c-stick, while using the tip of the thumb for X/Y. #SwaggarNation

Encephalon Decay

Smash Cadet
I see it like a lot of other things; it's only as good as you make it. There are times to use it and times not to. If you want to learn it, go ahead. If you don't, that's fine. Just don't let it become a limitation.

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
I tried learning it but it's very uncomfortable for my big-ish hands so it depends from person to person

thespymachine

Smash Ace
I just spent two weeks trying to learn claw (Falcon as my main, Fox as a secondary).

I'm back to my original grip because it was causing cramps and discomfort in my wrist (I have a bad wrist that I broke in baseball during high school), and, in general, my style (movement-based quirkiness) doesn't necessarily need me to play with claw.

The only downsides to claw are personal/stylistic ones. In general, I think all players learning the game should try it out, because it has benefits everywhere.

Top Bottom